Harmonic Oscillator in Dirac Theory

In summary, the harmonic oscillator is a potential energy function of coordinates which is manifestly Lorentz non-covariant, and Dirac's equation is a fully Lorentz covariant quantity. If you are only interested in single-particle solutions, then you must project out the antiparticle component from the Dirac 4-spinor, to get the Pauli 2-spinor.
eones
Hello everyone,

i'm looking for anypaper or such kind of thing that explain the resolution of the harmonic oscillator in the Dirac Theory.

I have worked with the exact spin symmetry. I feel like a fish out the water and I'm sure that there are lot of bibliography about this area, but i promise i didn't find anything.

Thanks since now,
and may the force be with you!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by resolution? Also, you may have more luck getting replies in the Advanced Physics section (if this is related HW), or in the Quantum Physics section (if you simply want a reference).

The problem with the term in the title is that "harmonic oscillator" refers to the non-relativistic concept of a potential energy as a function of coordinates, which is manifestly Lorentz non-covariant, and Dirac's equation, which is a fully Lorentz covariant quantity.

Also, the proper meaning of Dirac's equation is that is non-quantum equation of motion for a Dirac spinor field operator in second quantization. This reinterprets the negative energy solutions as antiparticles. But, the problem essentially becomes a many-particle one.

If you are only interested in single-particle solutions, then you must project out the antiparticle component from the Dirac 4-spinor, to get the Pauli 2-spinor. The equation it obeys is Pauli equation, which already incorporates the interaction with an external electromagnetic field of a charged fermion.

Just take a scalar potential:
[tex]
\varphi(x) = \frac{\mu^3 \, c^4}{2\, q \, \hbar^3} x^2
[/tex]
where [itex]q[/itex] is thecharge of the particle, and [itex]\mu[/itex] has a dimension of mass. Of course, this non-relativistic equation is only valid when:
[tex]
q \varphi(x) \ll m c^2 \Rightarrow \vert x \vert \ll \sqrt{\frac{2 m}{\mu}} \, \frac{\hbar}{\mu \, c}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Well, this isn't exactly what I am looking for, but its given me an idea anyway, so thank you very much for your time and effort.

Hello there,

The harmonic oscillator in Dirac theory has been extensively studied and there are many papers and resources available on this topic. One of the key aspects of the Dirac equation is its ability to describe the spin of particles, which is crucial for understanding the behavior of the harmonic oscillator in this theory.

One paper that may be helpful is "The Dirac oscillator: A simple and exact model for relativistic quantum mechanics" by Moshinsky and Szczepaniak (1996). This paper discusses the exact solution for the Dirac oscillator and provides a comprehensive explanation of its properties.

Additionally, there are many textbooks and online resources that discuss the harmonic oscillator in Dirac theory, such as "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research! May the force be with you as well.

Related to Harmonic Oscillator in Dirac Theory

What is a harmonic oscillator in Dirac theory?

A harmonic oscillator in Dirac theory is a quantum mechanical system that models a particle moving back and forth in a potential energy well. It is described using the Dirac equation, which is a relativistic wave equation that takes into account the effects of special relativity.

What is the significance of the harmonic oscillator in Dirac theory?

The harmonic oscillator in Dirac theory is significant because it is a simple and solvable system that serves as a building block for more complex quantum mechanical systems. It also has important applications in areas such as quantum field theory and solid state physics.

How is the harmonic oscillator in Dirac theory solved?

The harmonic oscillator in Dirac theory is solved using the Dirac ladder operator method. This involves expressing the Dirac equation in terms of two operators, the creation and annihilation operators, which act on the wavefunction of the system. These operators allow for the calculation of the energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions of the harmonic oscillator.

What are the energy levels of the harmonic oscillator in Dirac theory?

The energy levels of the harmonic oscillator in Dirac theory are quantized and given by the formula En = (2n + 1)ħω, where n is the quantum number and ω is the angular frequency of the oscillator. This means that the energy levels are equally spaced and depend on the frequency of oscillation.

What are some real-life examples of the harmonic oscillator in Dirac theory?

Some real-life examples of the harmonic oscillator in Dirac theory include vibrating molecules, atomic nuclei, and solid-state systems such as crystals. It also has applications in areas such as quantum computing, where it is used to model qubits and their interactions with their environment.