"Hard Oscillations: Finding the Period

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the period of oscillation for a system consisting of a rod attached to a ball and a spring attached to a wall. The moment of inertia of the system is found, but there is uncertainty on how to factor in the spring and calculate the angle of displacement. The solution involves using the rotation version of Newton's law and approximating for small oscillations.
darksyesider

Homework Statement

A rod of length L is attached to a ball of radius L/6 A spring is attached to a wall, and to the vertical rod 1/3 down the top (opposite the ball). THe rod is displaced a small theta, and released. Find period of oscillation.

Homework Equations

T = 2pi sqrt(I/mgd)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the moment of inertia of the system. (Im confident on this).
I have no idea where to go from here. I don't see how you can factor in the spring.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to relate the position of the pendulum in it's swing with the compression and extension of the spring.
This will involve making some decisions about how you want to model the spring ...

If the bob moves to the right - the spring drawn can be expected to sag ... unless it is always under tension somehow. But I suspect you are intended to assume the spring just give a torque to the pendulum that depends on angular displacement.

That's the part I don't know how to calculate. I know that F=-kx.
So if the pendulum moves slightly to the right (a small theta), the distance it stretches the spring is the length times the sin of theta. Length I can calculate. But how do you approximate theta??

You also know how x varies with the angle of the swing, and you know the oscillations are "small" ... and you know how to relate a linear force to a torque.

The lynchpin is that the oscillations are small ...
when ##\theta## is very small, ##\sin\theta \approx \theta,\; \cos\theta \approx 1##

Last edited:
darksyesider said:
That's the part I don't know how to calculate. I know that F=-kx.
So if the pendulum moves slightly to the right (a small theta), the distance it stretches the spring is the length times the sin of theta. Length I can calculate. But how do you approximate theta??

Use torque = I d^2theta/dt^2. Solve for theta.

That too - rotation version of Newton's law: $$\sum \tau = I\ddot{\theta}$$
Merry Xmas folks :)

Simon Bridge said:
That too - rotation version of Newton's law: $$\sum \tau = I\ddot{\theta}$$
Merry Xmas folks :)

To you too!

Related to "Hard Oscillations: Finding the Period

1. What are hard oscillations?

Hard oscillations refer to a type of oscillatory motion in a system that involves high energy and/or high frequency. This can occur in various systems such as mechanical, electrical, or biological systems.

2. What is the period of hard oscillations?

The period of hard oscillations is the time it takes for one complete cycle of the oscillation to occur. It is measured in seconds and can be calculated by dividing the total time of the oscillation by the number of cycles.

3. How do you find the period of hard oscillations?

The period of hard oscillations can be found by measuring the time it takes for one complete cycle of the oscillation to occur. This can be done by using a stopwatch or a data collection device, and repeating the measurement multiple times to ensure accuracy.

4. What factors can affect the period of hard oscillations?

The period of hard oscillations can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the oscillating object, the stiffness of the system, and the amplitude of the oscillation. Other external factors such as friction and air resistance can also have an impact on the period.

5. Why is finding the period of hard oscillations important?

Finding the period of hard oscillations is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of various systems. It can also be used to determine the stability of a system, and can be applied in fields such as engineering, physics, and biology.