Find the period of a small oscillation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expression for the period of oscillation of a system consisting of two rods bent at their middle at a 120 degree angle. The solution involves finding the center of mass and using the moment of inertia for a physical pendulum, resulting in a period of 4*pi*sqrt(L/3g).
diredragon

Homework Statement

A rod of length ##2L## is bent at point of its middle so that the rods now created are in a upside V shape and the angle between them is ##120°##. The system oscilates. Find the expression of the period of oscilation.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I thought of one thing. Since the angle is ##120°## the system oscilates the same way as a normal pendulum rod of length ##L/2##. If that is true all that follows is the center of mass which for a rod would be ##L/2## i think. Therefore we have imagined a pendulum of length ##L/6##. Its period is ##T=2*\pi * \sqrt{\frac{L}{6g}}##. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
A pendulum that is not a simple bob on a massless string does not behave in the same way. You need to look at the moment of inertia around the pivot point.

Look up: "Physical Pendulum". The Hyperphysics website would be a good place to start.

Well it seems i need to find the center of mass. But that means that the center of mass for a poll of length ##L## is ##L/2##. I can think of the center of mass being located at point ##L/4## below the point ##O##. Is that correct?

diredragon said:
Well it seems i need to find the center of mass. But that means that the center of mass for a poll of length ##L## is ##L/2##. I can think of the center of mass being located at point ##L/4## below the point ##O##. Is that correct?
Could be. Show how you worked it out.

The poll of length ##L## has a center of mass located at ##L/2##. ##(L/2)*cos60=L/4## but that gives the period of ##\pi*\sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}##. The solution in the book read ##T=4*\pi* \sqrt{\frac{L}{3g}}## How can this be? That means that the center of mass is at ##4L/3## No idea how...

What did you use for the moment of inertia of the pendulum about its pivot point?

gneill said:
What did you use for the moment of inertia of the pendulum about its pivot point?
I didnt. I should have used ##I=mL^2/3## but i don't know how to use it to get the period.

diredragon said:
I didnt. I should have used ##I=mL^2/3## but i don't know how to use it to get the period.
Do you understand how to write down and solve the differential equation for a pendulum? It involves angular acceleration and moment of inertia.
The formula for period is obtained from that.

diredragon said:
Did you investigate the term "physical pendulum" as I had suggested previously? The period of such a pendulum depends upon the moment of inertia about the pivot point and the distance of the pivot point from the center of mass.

Hint: when you formulate your moment of inertia, remember that your pendulum was originally a single rod of mass m.

I see now that the period of a physical pendulum is ##2*\pi*\sqrt{\frac{I}{mgL_{cm}}}##
I know that the moment of inertia of a rod is ##mL^2/3## but that inputed doesn't give correct answer. I need the center of mass. I am not sure what to do

I came up with something. The center of mass of these two rods is a rod of length ##L/2## staying vertical and oscilating. With above equation and inputing values of ##I=mL^2/3## ##L_{cm}= L/4## i get ##T= 4*\pi*\sqrt{\frac{L}{3g}}## correct?

diredragon said:
I came up with something. The center of mass of these two rods is a rod of length ##L/2## staying vertical and oscilating. With above equation and inputing values of ##I=mL^2/3## ##L_{cm}= L/4## i get ##T= 4*\pi*\sqrt{\frac{L}{3g}}## correct?
Looks right to me.

Likes diredragon

Related to Find the period of a small oscillation

1. What is the definition of a small oscillation?

A small oscillation is a repetitive, back-and-forth motion that occurs around a fixed point with a small amplitude, meaning the distance between the highest and lowest points of the motion is relatively small compared to the total distance traveled.

2. How is the period of a small oscillation calculated?

The period of a small oscillation is calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the oscillating object, and k is the spring constant. This formula assumes the oscillation is harmonic, meaning the force acting on the object is directly proportional to its displacement from equilibrium.

3. Can the period of a small oscillation be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as air resistance and friction can affect the period of a small oscillation. These factors can cause the amplitude of the oscillation to decrease over time, resulting in a longer period.

4. How does the length of a pendulum affect the period of its small oscillations?

The period of a pendulum's small oscillations is directly proportional to the length of the pendulum. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. This relationship is described by the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can the period of a small oscillation be affected by the mass of the oscillating object?

Yes, the mass of the oscillating object can affect the period of a small oscillation. As the mass increases, the period also increases. This is because a larger mass requires more energy to move, resulting in a longer period. This relationship is described by the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the oscillating object, and k is the spring constant.