Happy Hanukkah! Celebrate the Festival of Lights

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lights
In summary: Happy New Year to us all.In summary, the conversation discusses the various spellings and pronunciations of Hanukkah/Chanukah and the holiday greetings exchanged between members of the forum. It also mentions traditional Jewish foods and the celebration of multiple holidays during this time. The final statement offers holiday greetings to all members.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It might be Happy Hanukkah, Happy Chanukah, Chanukkah, or Chanuka...for all I know it could be Chappy Hanukkah.

Whatever it's called, I hope all our Jewish PFers have a wonderful holiday!

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
It might be Happy Hanukkah, Happy Chanukah, Chanukkah, or Chanuka...for all I know it could be Chappy Hanukkah.

+1

And tis the season to eat jelly doughnuts? סופגניות

It is the season to feed gefilte to your daughter's boyfriend, lest he has breath that is even remotely attractive when he take her to midnight mass. (It really happened to me!) My GF was standing behind her father and shook her head in an emphatic NO when he offered me some. Clever girl.

lisab said:

Near as I can tell, there are eight of these holidays strung together. Last night was Hanukkah and tonight we celebrate Chanukah. We keep it up til we run out of variations. Let me wish a Christmas that is joyish, to our friends who are goyish,

Thank you for the well wishes and acknowledgement of the holiday. I appreciate the diversity and different perspectives on the same celebration. It is important to recognize and respect the various cultural and linguistic variations within our global community. Wishing everyone a happy and meaningful Hanukkah celebration.

Related to Happy Hanukkah! Celebrate the Festival of Lights

1. What is Hanukkah?

Hanukkah, also known as the Festival of Lights, is a Jewish holiday that commemorates the rededication of the Second Temple in Jerusalem. It is celebrated for eight days and nights, usually falling between late November and late December on the Gregorian calendar.

2. How is Hanukkah celebrated?

Hanukkah is celebrated by lighting the menorah, a nine-branched candelabra, each night for eight nights. Traditional foods such as latkes (potato pancakes) and sufganiyot (jelly-filled donuts) are also eaten. Families also exchange gifts, play dreidel (a spinning top game), and gather for special meals.

3. What is the significance of the menorah in Hanukkah?

The menorah is a symbol of the miracle that occurred during the rededication of the Second Temple. According to the story, when the Jews reclaimed the temple from the Greeks, they found only enough oil to light the menorah for one night. However, the oil miraculously lasted for eight nights, which is why Hanukkah is celebrated for eight nights.

4. Are there any religious customs associated with Hanukkah?

Yes, there are several religious customs associated with Hanukkah. These include reciting special blessings when lighting the menorah, saying the Hallel prayer, and attending special synagogue services. Some families also have the custom of giving charity during Hanukkah.

5. How does Hanukkah differ from other winter holidays like Christmas?

Hanukkah is a religious holiday that celebrates a specific event in Jewish history, whereas Christmas is a Christian holiday that celebrates the birth of Jesus. While both holidays involve gift-giving and special traditions, they have different historical and religious origins.