Cesium-133, the Sun, Moon, stars, or.... T.P. Scott-1000?

In summary, early in the pandemic, there were concerns about toilet paper shortages in the US, leading to runs on supermarkets and hoarding. However, there are alternative methods for cleaning up, which may be more environmentally friendly and effective. It's possible that sales of Japanese butt-washing toilets increased in 2020. The conversation then shifts to the personal experience of the speakers, who were not too worried about running out of toilet paper and even kept track of how much they were using. However, as the pandemic went on, it became less of a topic of conversation. The speakers also mention the dangers of using alternative methods, such as using leaves, as it can lead to injuries. In the end, the speakers celebrate having used 100
JT Smith
Early in the pandemic there was, at least in the U.S., a concern about toilet paper shortages. It all seems so quaint now but there were actually runs on t.p. in supermarkets and people were hoarding it. There are of course other ways to clean up afterwards. I reckon that most people in the world do not use paper for this purpose. It's arguable that it is not only environmentally less sound but also less effective than alternative methods. I can't help but wonder if domestic sales of Japanese butt-washing toilets increased in 2020.

We weren't terribly worried. We had enough for several months, we had a newspaper delivered each morning, and corn on the cob was available in the markets even in the winter months. Other possibilities existed:

roto-wipe.jpg
Nonetheless, we began keeping track, noting each installation of a new roll in the bathroom on our wall calendar. It became a kind of pandemic metronome for us, long after t.p. was a subject of pandemic conversation. How long has the pandemic been going on? I could tell simply by the t.p. count (or by the ever-increasing length of my hair).

And now, 21 months later, we have just today hung the 100th roll. I feel like we should celebrate in some fashion.

• Haha
Likes dlgoff, Astronuc and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
JT Smith said:
There are of course other ways to clean up afterwards.
I had an uncle that went in the woods and picked up a handful of dried leaves to use, but in those leaves was a copperhead snake. Yep, it bit him on the butt. I was told this at a very young age and IIRC, he died. :oldcry:

• Sad
  • Wow
Likes Astronuc and collinsmark

What is Cesium-133 and why is it important in science?

Cesium-133 is a naturally occurring isotope of cesium, a chemical element with the atomic number 55. It is important in science because it is used as the standard for measuring time and is essential in the functioning of atomic clocks.

How does the Sun produce energy?

The Sun produces energy through a process called nuclear fusion, where hydrogen atoms combine to form helium. This releases a tremendous amount of energy in the form of heat and light.

What is the Moon made of?

The Moon is primarily made of rocky material, with its surface covered in a layer of dust and debris from meteor impacts. It also contains small amounts of iron, titanium, and other elements.

How do stars form?

Stars form from large clouds of gas and dust in space, called nebulae. As gravity pulls these materials together, they become denser and hotter, eventually reaching temperatures and pressures that trigger nuclear fusion and form a star.

What is the purpose of T.P. Scott-1000?

T.P. Scott-1000 is not a well-known term in science. It is possible that it refers to a specific research project or experiment, but without more context it is difficult to provide a definitive answer.

Back