Hamiltonian equations of motion question

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the question asks for an explanation of why the equations of motion do not uniquely determine the motion of a system. This is due to the fact that the equations of motion alone do not take into account the initial conditions of the system, and therefore, there are an infinite number of possible initial conditions that could result in the same equations of motion. To fully determine the motion of the system, the initial conditions must also be specified.
Pyroadept

Homework Statement

Question 1 on the following page: http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~frolovs/Mechanics/PS10.pdf

It's the second part I'm stuck on ('Explain why the equations of motion do not...')

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found equations for x_1 'dot' and x_2 'dot' (using p = dL/dx'dot')
and rearranged to get L(x_i,p_i)

Then H(p,x) = p_1.x_1'dot' + p_2.x_2'dot' - L(x_i,p_i)

and Hamilton's equations of motion:
p_i 'dot' = -dH/dx_i
q_i 'dot' = dH/dp_i

I don't know how to solve the second part though. Is it dependent on my answers or is it something about equations of motion in general?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The second part of the question asks you to explain why the equations of motion do not uniquely determine the motion of the system. This is a common issue in classical mechanics and is known as the "two-body problem."

The reason for this is that the equations of motion, which you have correctly derived, do not take into account the initial conditions of the system. In other words, the equations of motion alone cannot tell us the exact positions and velocities of the particles at a given time. This is because there are an infinite number of possible initial conditions that could result in the same equations of motion.

To fully determine the motion of the system, we need to also know the initial positions and velocities of the particles. This is usually done by specifying the initial conditions, such as the initial positions and velocities of the particles, and then solving the equations of motion to determine the motion of the system.

I hope this explanation helps. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Hamiltonian equations of motion question

What are Hamiltonian equations of motion?

Hamiltonian equations of motion are a set of equations used to describe the behavior of a physical system over time. They are derived from the Hamiltonian function, which is a mathematical function that represents the total energy of the system.

How are Hamiltonian equations of motion different from Newton's laws of motion?

While Newton's laws of motion describe the behavior of a physical system in terms of forces, Hamiltonian equations of motion are based on the concept of energy. They take into account both the kinetic and potential energy of a system, whereas Newton's laws only consider the net force acting on an object.

What types of physical systems can be described using Hamiltonian equations of motion?

Hamiltonian equations of motion can be used to describe a wide range of physical systems, including particles, fluids, and even complex systems like planets and galaxies. They can also be applied to systems in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics.

How do Hamiltonian equations of motion relate to the concept of phase space?

Phase space is a mathematical space that represents all the possible states of a physical system. Hamiltonian equations of motion can be used to map out the trajectory of a system in phase space, showing how it evolves over time and providing useful information about its behavior.

What is the significance of Hamiltonian equations of motion in modern physics?

Hamiltonian equations of motion have played a crucial role in the development of modern physics, particularly in fields such as quantum mechanics and chaos theory. They provide a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of complex systems and have been used to make significant advancements in our understanding of the universe.