Euler Lagrange equation of motion

In summary: Anyway, the OP did try to obtain the derivatives for himself, but made some errors. I admit maybe I should have not written so much detail (which does not matter anyway, since I did the wrong calculation!).
bobred

Homework Statement

Find the equations of motion for both r and [itex]\theta[/itex] of
5E%7B2%7D%20%5Cright%29%5Cdot%7Br%7D%5E%7B2%7D+r%5E%7B2%7D%5Cdot%7B%5Ctheta%7D%20%5Cright%29-mgH.png

Homework Equations

My problem is taking the derivative wrt time of

ex?%5Cfrac%7B%5Cpartial%20L%7D%7B%5Cpartial%20%5Cdot%7B%5Ctheta%7D%7D=mr%5E2%5Cdot%7B%5Ctheta%7D.png

and
[itex]\dfrac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{r}}=m \dot{r} \left( 1 + \left( \dfrac{\partial H}{\partial r}\right)^2 \right)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So
%7B%5Ctheta%7D%7D%20%5Cright%29=2mr%5Cdot%7Br%7D%5Cdot%7B%5Ctheta%7D+mr%5E2%5Cddot%7B%5Ctheta%7D.png

I think this is correct. I have the solution to the second expression but I am unsure how it was found
[itex]
m \ddot{r} \left( 1 + \left( \dfrac{\partial H}{\partial r}\right)^2 \right) + 2 m \dot{r}^2 \dfrac{\partial H}{\partial r}\dfrac{\partial^2 H}{\partial r \partial t}
[/itex]
The first part of this expression is fine it is the second part I am unsure of.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please specify what ##H## is a function of.

HI, sorry H(r).

So if H is only a function of r, the only possible derivative of H is the total derivative wrt r. Since r depends on t, the derivative wrt t is given by the chain rule. This also goes for dH/dr, which is also a function of r. The partial derivative of H wrt t does not make sense if H does not depend explicitly on t.

bobred said:
HI, sorry H(r).

So, if we write ##K(r) = (\partial H(r) /\partial r)^2## (which is just some computable function of ##r##) you have
[tex] {\cal{L}} = \frac{1}{2} m \left((1+ K(r)) \dot{r}^2 + r^2 \dot{\theta} \right) - mgH(r) [/tex]
Thus,
[tex] {\cal{L}}_r \equiv \partial {\cal{L}} /\partial r = \frac{1}{2}m \left( K'(r) \dot{r}^2 + 2 r \dot{\theta} \right) - m g H'(r) [/tex]
so
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} {\cal{L}}_r = \frac{1}{2} m \left( K''(r) \dot{r}^3 + K'(r) 2 \dot{r} \ddot{r} + 2 \dot{\theta} \right) - mg H''(r) \dot{r} [/tex]

If ##H## does not depend explicitly on ##t## there should be no ##\partial H/\partial t## anywhere.

Ray Vickson said:
So, if we write ##K(r) = (\partial H(r) /\partial r)^2## (which is just some computable function of ##r##) you have
[tex] {\cal{L}} = \frac{1}{2} m \left((1+ K(r)) \dot{r}^2 + r^2 \dot{\theta} \right) - mgH(r) [/tex]
Thus,
[tex] {\cal{L}}_r \equiv \partial {\cal{L}} /\partial r = \frac{1}{2}m \left( K'(r) \dot{r}^2 + 2 r \dot{\theta} \right) - m g H'(r) [/tex]
so
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} {\cal{L}}_r = \frac{1}{2} m \left( K''(r) \dot{r}^3 + K'(r) 2 \dot{r} \ddot{r} + 2 \dot{\theta} \right) - mg H''(r) \dot{r} [/tex]

This, although correct, is not relevant for the Euler-Lagrange equations which contain what you would call ##d\mathcal L_{\dot r}/dt##. Also, please allow the OP to try to do the derivatives for himself.

Orodruin said:
This, although correct, is not relevant for the Euler-Lagrange equations which contain what you would call ##d\mathcal L_{\dot r}/dt##. Also, please allow the OP to try to do the derivatives for himself.

You are right. Anyway, the OP did try to obtain the derivatives for himself, but made some errors. I admit maybe I should have not written so much detail (which does not matter anyway, since I did the wrong calculation!).

Related to Euler Lagrange equation of motion

1. What is the Euler Lagrange equation of motion?

The Euler Lagrange equation of motion is a mathematical equation used to describe the motion of a system. It is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action, a quantity that represents the total energy of the system.

2. How is the Euler Lagrange equation of motion derived?

The Euler Lagrange equation of motion is derived by taking the derivative of the action with respect to the system's variables, such as position, velocity, and time. This results in a set of differential equations that describe the system's motion.

3. What types of systems can the Euler Lagrange equation of motion be applied to?

The Euler Lagrange equation of motion can be applied to a wide range of systems, including classical mechanics systems, quantum mechanical systems, and systems in relativity. It is particularly useful in systems with many degrees of freedom, such as a system of particles.

4. What are the advantages of using the Euler Lagrange equation of motion?

The Euler Lagrange equation of motion provides a concise and elegant way to describe the dynamics of a system. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the system's behavior and can be applied to a variety of systems, as mentioned before.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Euler Lagrange equation of motion?

While the Euler Lagrange equation of motion is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the system is conservative, meaning that there is no dissipation of energy. It also does not take into account any external forces acting on the system. Additionally, it may not be applicable to systems with complex or chaotic behavior.