Half-Gallon Coffee Claims: Fact or Fiction?

In summary: I don't think I need to continue elaborating on that one.In summary, this guy was telling me that fast food places serve 1/2 gallon cups of coffee in the US, i am sure he is pulling my leg as anyone would bust theirbladder drinking that much.im on the border and I've traveled around in the states. I've never seen 1/2 gallon. Though i know people who would LOVE 1/2 gallon cups of coffee.They have half gallon cokes at 7-11 called Big Gulp I think. No half gallon coffees. That would be a doozy to spill on your lap.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
This guy was telling me that fast food places serve 1/2 gallon cups of
coffee in the US, i am sure he is pulling my leg as anyone would bust their
bladder drinking that much.

Physics news on Phys.org
im on the border and I've traveled around in the states. I've never seen 1/2 gallon. Though i know people who would LOVE 1/2 gallon cups of coffee.

They have half gallon cokes at 7-11 called Big Gulp I think. No half gallon coffees. That would be a doozy to spill on your lap.

wolram said:
This guy was telling me that fast food places serve 1/2 gallon cups of
coffee in the US, i am sure he is pulling my leg as anyone would bust their
bladder drinking that much.

Never seen one...

He did say long island i think, i do not know if that makes any difference.

KFC sells 1/2 gallon sodas (or they used to)

1/2 gallon of anything is ott, well maybe not beer, it seems this guy was
mixed up, he had the quantity right though, 1/2 gallon of soda, i would be
burping for a week.

I can't imagine drinking a 1/2 gallon of anything in one sitting.

It took 4 hours to finish a 1/2 gallon of soda...it also took us 1 week to finish a 1/2 gallon of milk

I use to drink half a gallon of milk in one day, frequently. Back when I could eat all I wanted and not gain weight.

I used to live on Long Island and I have never seen a half gallon coffee. How much does a standard caraffe hold?

As much as I love coffee, I can't imagine drinking that much in one sitting...before it got cold. My sister did, as a joke, find a 7-11 insulated mug that holds 24 oz...but even that is too much.

The super big gulp is just incredibly stupid. Just what we need to let kids have.

A half-gallon of liquid isn't really that much. It's 8 8oz glasses of water, which is what we're all supposed to be drinking anyway.

Now that much in one sitting is another matter. I've seen a gallon of milk go down in under 2 minutes, but the results were not pretty.

Speedway gas station, sells half gallons of coffee in giant mugs for $5.00. And yes I have bought one to share on a long road trip.

Jeff Ford said:
A half-gallon of liquid isn't really that much. It's 8 8oz glasses of water, which is what we're all supposed to be drinking anyway.

Now that much in one sitting is another matter. I've seen a gallon of milk go down in under 2 minutes, but the results were not pretty.

Yah you're suppose to get 64oz in one day, not one hour :P... and that's water.

I heard a rumor that your body literally can't handle a gallon of milk in less then an hour... anyone know the truth behind that?

Pengwuino said:
I heard a rumor that your body literally can't handle a gallon of milk in less then an hour... anyone know the truth behind that?
Yeah, it's not a rumor. I had some friends test that while in med school (after hearing a radio show running a contest challenging people to do it and thinking that they loved milk, so how hard could it be?). Two of them tried it, and neither could finish the gallon, and were both pretty sick as a result. Only AFTER they attempted it did they do the stomach volume/digestion rate calculation and realized that a normal human stomach just isn't big enough, and doesn't empty fast enough (remember, it's not just water, which could empty more quickly), to permit consumption of a gallon of milk in less than an hour (I'd suspect there are some morbidly obese people who have managed to increase their stomach capacity enough to accomplish it though).

The largest coffee I've seen is the Venti size at Starbucks. That's more coffee than anyone needs in a single sitting, but that's still not a half gallon. It was probably an exaggeration. I've seen those giant drinks at the convenience stores, and I just don't get it. I've also seen kids...KIDS...walking around with 2L bottles of soda the way we used to walk around with an 8 oz bottle, and then people wonder why we have such an obesity epidemic. When I was a kid, getting a half of a cup of soda once a day was a big treat, now kids are drinking 2 L in a single sitting (a 2 L bottle used to last our family of 4 a full week, and even then, we sometimes threw some out because it went flat before it was consumed). About the only use I could see for those giant cups would be for someone who works outdoors all day, like a construction worker, and then only if you get a little soda and then fill the thing with ice so you have a gallon of cold water in the cup to stay hydrated all day long.

Moonbear said:
The largest coffee I've seen is the Venti size at Starbucks. That's more coffee than anyone needs in a single sitting, but that's still not a half gallon..

No, its more milk than anyone needs in a single sitting. its hardly any coffee.

I think he got confused with the metric system.

franznietzsche said:
No, its more milk than anyone needs in a single sitting. its hardly any coffee.
Not if you just get coffee! You don't have to get a latte there, you know (not that I know anyone with a stomach strong enough to withstand their paint thinner...erm...I mean coffee...undiluted).

KIA, bought me a mug with, Worlds best dad on it :blushing: that holds
two normal cups, and the coffee is usually cold before i finish it, but i like
cold coffee. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Not if you just get coffee! You don't have to get a latte there, you know (not that I know anyone with a stomach strong enough to withstand their paint thinner...erm...I mean coffee...undiluted).

Even I wouldn't order that much espresso. it would go bad before you could drink it.

I used to be in a fraternity that had gallon of milk races every year. Throwing up was allowed, and the guys that were good could finish in under 2 minutes. Afterwards you always felt kind of cold. It was a strange experience.

Related to Half-Gallon Coffee Claims: Fact or Fiction?

1. Is it true that half-gallon coffee claims are mostly fictional?

There is no clear consensus on whether half-gallon coffee claims are fact or fiction. While some sources argue that these claims are exaggerated, others believe that they are mostly accurate.

2. What evidence supports or refutes the half-gallon coffee claims?

The evidence supporting or refuting half-gallon coffee claims is limited and often conflicting. Some studies have found that the amount of caffeine in a half-gallon of coffee is within a safe range, while others suggest that it may be above recommended levels.

3. Are there any health risks associated with consuming a half-gallon of coffee?

While consuming a half-gallon of coffee may not be considered a healthy habit, there is no definitive evidence to suggest that it poses significant health risks. However, excessive caffeine intake can lead to side effects such as increased heart rate, anxiety, and insomnia.

4. How much caffeine is typically found in a half-gallon of coffee?

The amount of caffeine in a half-gallon of coffee can vary depending on the type of coffee and the brewing method used. Generally, it can range from 400-800mg of caffeine, which is equivalent to 4-8 cups of coffee.

5. Is it safe to consume a half-gallon of decaf coffee?

Decaf coffee typically contains about 2-12mg of caffeine per 8oz cup, so consuming a half-gallon of decaf coffee would result in a significantly lower amount of caffeine compared to regular coffee. However, it is always important to monitor caffeine intake and consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns.