All or certain types of beef linked to cancer and cow milk

• Thread starter timeuser84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cancer
In summary, the article on foodbabe website claims that regular beef can give you cancer. The article does not provide any sources to back up its claim, and the blog does not help readers find more recent studies to determine if there is a real association. Therefore, the article is irresponsible and should not leave readers with only an unsupported claim.
timeuser84
Hi again and as always, I appreciate the responses. I had read a article on food babes website on fast food burger places and beef where the regular/conventional beef could give you cancer and she gives a source supposedly from oxford university and I eat regular beef now so that makes me very concerned. This is probably internet garbage/pseudo science/pseudo facts as someone had pointed out In a older thread of mine so I probably don't have anything to worry about However because of the claim on food babes website about beef linked to cancer, I don't want to risk ketching cancer from eating beef myself if its true. Here is the link to the food babe article I am talking about.>>> [link to internet garbage/pseudo science/ pseudo facts removed]

Also do the antibiotics and hormones injected into cows get into the body from drinking regular milk and if YES then can that be bad, harmful or unhealthy like many claims about milk across the internet? If yes then what does antibiotics and hormones do to the human body by drinking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
timeuser84 said:
she gives a source supposedly from oxford university
Can you link that Oxford University source? I'm not finding it easily in the article. As you know, we require original references for technical discussions at the PF, not popular press articles based on them. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
what year is it - yes 2017
What year is the link she supplies for a discussion on hormonal cancer - 2009
Is there nothing more recent to support her claim?

what does the discussion from the link say,
it is our intuitive feeling that the increasing consumption of estrogen-rich beef following steroid implantation might facilitate estrogen accumulation in the human body and could be related to the incidence of hormone-dependent cancers. Although further studies are required to determine the relation for cancer incidence, we should be more aware of dietary estrogen intake from beef following steroid implantation and give mature consideration for the hormonal usage to livestock in the 21st century.
Bold is mine.
Certainly something to follow up on.

FoodBabe does not help you out there at all, ie more recent studies to determine if there is a real association.
The one link does cast suspicion in the reader's mind, and the blog should not leave it at that.
Would one call that irresponsible?

Likes berkeman
For info here is the advice given by the National Health Service in the UK...

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/red-meat-and-the-risk-of-bowel-cancer/

It recommends eating red meat in moderation because there is a link between eating large quantities of red meat and bowel cancer.

As I recall there have also been some studies linking over cooking/burnt meat to cancer, or at least to potentially cancer causing chemicals.

For the record I still eat red meat in moderation.

Edit: See also...

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/cooked-meats-fact-sheet

Recent research has provided reasonably strong evidence for a link between consumption of red meat (mammalian muscle tissue) and colorectal cancer, though the magnitude of the effect is not huge. It definitely warrants thinking about reducing one's consumption of red meat. Relatedly, there is much stronger evidence for a link between the consumption of processed meats (meats preserved through curing, salting, smoking, fermentation or other means) and colorectal cancer.

The WCRF source below provides some evidence that consumption of dairy products is associated with a decreased risk of colorectal cancer.

For more information, see
https://www.wcrf.org/dietandcancer/exposures/meat-fish-dairy
http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara
timeuser84 said:
I had read a article on food babes website...
I would never take dietary advice from a blogger named "foodbabe". After a quick browse of just the link I see just a truckload of nonsense.

Likes MyoPhilosopher and phinds
We are closing the thread. This is the result of a possibly great topic which was based on an unacceptable source.. Several posters got things back on track somewhat.
@timeuser84 - if you happen to find reasonable citations, please start another thread.

Thanks.

1. What types of beef are linked to cancer?

Studies have shown that processed beef, such as deli meats, hot dogs, and bacon, are linked to an increased risk of cancer. Red meat, such as beef, pork, and lamb, may also have a link to cancer, but the evidence is not as strong.

2. Is all beef linked to cancer?

No, not all beef is linked to cancer. The strongest evidence is for processed beef, while the evidence for red meat is not as clear. Additionally, the way the beef is cooked and processed can also affect its link to cancer.

3. How is beef linked to cancer?

The main concern with beef and cancer is the presence of certain compounds, such as heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), which are formed when beef is cooked at high temperatures. These compounds have been shown to be carcinogenic in animal studies.

4. Is there a link between cow milk and cancer?

There is no strong evidence to suggest that cow milk is linked to cancer. In fact, some studies have shown that milk and other dairy products may have a protective effect against certain types of cancer, such as colorectal cancer.

5. How can I limit my risk of cancer from beef and cow milk?

To limit your risk of cancer from beef, it is recommended to reduce your intake of processed meats and limit your consumption of red meat. You can also choose lean cuts of beef and avoid charring or grilling the meat at high temperatures. As for cow milk, there is no evidence to suggest that it increases the risk of cancer. However, if you are concerned, you can choose low-fat or non-dairy alternatives for milk. Consuming a balanced and varied diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables is also important for reducing your risk of cancer.