Gurus Mix-Up: Math, Engineering & Community Spirit

• Thread starter ranger
  • Start date
In summary, there seems to be a bug in the Nexus skin where last year's awards are still displaying. It may be due to a lack of support from Greg, as he is currently focusing on the Prime skin. Some users prefer Nexus over Prime, but it seems that most have switched to Prime due to its updated design and lack of flash animation. There have been discussions about creating a Guru Hall of Fame to recognize former Gurus, but it is unclear if this will be implemented due to limited space.
ranger
Gold Member
When I switch between skins, the gurus tag becomes switched. For example, in one skin, mathwonk is math guru and in the other matt grime is the math guru. The engineering and community spirit ones also seem off. In Prime, astronuc has the community spirit award, but in Nexus, he has the Engineering guru award. I think the physics one might also be mixed up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...it sounds like Nexus has last year's awards still displaying.

It does. I've cleared my cache many times and it still displays that way. Nexus also has a few other bugs I can't remember so perhaps may need a good looking at. :smile:

I don't think Greg was planning on continuing to support the Nexus skin for very long. Apparently, it's not used by very many people, and it's a big hassle for him to maintain both skins because they are so different and everything has to be done pretty much twice for each. I don't know if he's changed his mind (or been persuaded by others) to keep it and forgot to update things to match the Prime skin, or if he just hasn't gotten around to removing it. Prime is currently the default for all new users.

You might want to get in the habit of using Prime, and if there are things you need to switch to Nexus for, because they aren't appearing in Prime for some reason, let us know about those. I think it's more important that our default skin have full functionality than to expect people to switch back and forth for needed features.

Moonbear said:
I don't think Greg was planning on continuing to support the Nexus skin for very long. Apparently, it's not used by very many people, and it's a big hassle for him to maintain both skins because they are so different and everything has to be done pretty much twice for each. I don't know if he's changed his mind (or been persuaded by others) to keep it and forgot to update things to match the Prime skin, or if he just hasn't gotten around to removing it. Prime is currently the default for all new users.

You might want to get in the habit of using Prime, and if there are things you need to switch to Nexus for, because they aren't appearing in Prime for some reason, let us know about those. I think it's more important that our default skin have full functionality than to expect people to switch back and forth for needed features.

Aww I love Nexus and use it all the time. I really don't like Prime its horrible :cry:.

Suppose I better get used to Prime then.

*sniffles**pet lip*

I don't think Greg was planning on continuing to support the Nexus skin for very long. Apparently, it's not used by very many people, and it's a big hassle for him to maintain both skins because they are so different and everything has to be done pretty much twice for each.
The only reason why a lot of people seem to be using prime is becuase its the default skin. So most people won't even care to switch. I do prefer Nexus over this. Prime's interface is cluttered. I'm talking about those little annoying blogs, news and so on. Even minimizing them does no good. Besides Nexus has the cool flash animation.

So, i guess we are not going to have that PF Hall Of Fame ?

marlon

marlon said:

marlon

Was that the thing to give all former gurus medals or something?

Yeah I have noticed that too, as I use Nexus. I think the funny member guru does not even show up.

Actually, I've found a way to remove those extra windows on the right side of the main window for Prime. I used RIP for firefox.

ranger said:
Was that the thing to give all former gurus medals or something?

If I recall correctly, it was simply an idea to make a list of all ex-gurus.

ranger said:
The only reason why a lot of people seem to be using prime is becuase its the default skin. So most people won't even care to switch. I do prefer Nexus over this. Prime's interface is cluttered. I'm talking about those little annoying blogs, news and so on. Even minimizing them does no good. Besides Nexus has the cool flash animation.

We got a lot of complaints about Nexus, mainly because of the flash animation (slow loading and distracting), and once Prime was touched up to be a little less "blah", a lot of people switched to it even when it wasn't the default. The only thing I don't like is the same you mention about the main index page, with all the stuff in the right column instead of at the bottom of the page, but I don't spend much time on the main index page for it to matter that much.

I'm really not sure what Greg's plans are for Nexus at this point. Like I said, it was something mentioned (before the upgrade I think), but he may have changed his mind about removing it.

marlon said:

marlon
I think a Guru Hall of Fame would be nice. I think it's great to pass Guru status around each year so everyone has a chance, but that doesn't mean we should forget our former Guru's. Of course, we're running out of space to put recognitions, but if it can be squeezed in, I'm all for it. Perhaps on the staff link where we recognize Homework Helpers and Science Advisors?

Evo said:
Perhaps on the staff link where we recognize Homework Helpers and Science Advisors?

Fine with me...

marlon

Related to Gurus Mix-Up: Math, Engineering & Community Spirit

1. What is "Gurus Mix-Up: Math, Engineering & Community Spirit"?

"Gurus Mix-Up: Math, Engineering & Community Spirit" is a program that combines math, engineering, and community service to engage students in hands-on learning and promote community involvement.

2. Who can participate in "Gurus Mix-Up: Math, Engineering & Community Spirit"?

The program is open to students of all ages, from elementary school to college. It is designed to be inclusive and accessible to all students, regardless of their math or engineering experience.

3. How does "Gurus Mix-Up: Math, Engineering & Community Spirit" benefit students?

The program helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills through math and engineering challenges. It also encourages students to be active members of their community and fosters a sense of civic responsibility.

4. What types of activities are included in "Gurus Mix-Up: Math, Engineering & Community Spirit"?

The program includes a variety of activities, such as building and designing projects, solving math problems, and participating in community service projects. Students may also have the opportunity to work with mentors from the math and engineering fields.

5. How can I get involved with "Gurus Mix-Up: Math, Engineering & Community Spirit"?

If you are interested in participating in the program, you can contact your school or community organization to see if they offer it. You can also reach out to the program organizers to inquire about starting a chapter in your area or volunteering as a mentor or facilitator.