Ground 2-Pin Plug: Prevent Electric Shock with TV & Laptop

In summary, the TV plug has only 2 pins. The shock hazard occurs only with the 2 pin plug equipments like TV, laptop adapter etc. When I touch a tester to the headphone socket of my laptop, the tester lights up. Sounds like your neutral line is not well grounded at your breaker panel. Are you in a house or an apartment? If a house or condo, do you rent or own?
likephysics
I get an electric shock whenever I connect my digital camera or camcorder to my TV. The shock occurs whenever I touch the camera.
The TV plug has only 2 pins.
So my first thought is to provide a ground return for the TV power.
The shock hazard occurs only with the 2 pin plug equipments like TV, laptop adapter etc.
When I touch a tester to the headphone socket of my laptop, the tester lights up.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like your neutral line is not well grounded at your breaker panel. Are you in a house or an apartment? If a house or condo, do you rent or own?

Do you have a 3-prong socket tester (the little ones with 3 neon lights). Does it show "normal" for the sockets, or does it show a fault?

This tester:

[URL]http://www.ibuonline.com/storage/product/9b8/799/a49/e1a8bdadb9441ee1649ae2f.jpg[/URL]

You can test your neutral with a DVM. Carefully measure the AC voltage between Neutral and ground in several wall sockets in the house. You should not get much of a voltage. You will get more voltage farther from the breaker panel, and when there are large loads on the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tester shown above will also show if the wiring is reversed. Assuming the TV's plug is polarized (one prong is wider than the other), verify that it is properly inserted in the socket. I've seen old, worn sockets that allow plugs to be inserted wrong.

pantaz said:
I've seen old, worn sockets that allow plugs to be inserted wrong.

:bugeye: Yoiks!

Sounds to me that L and N could be reversed in the socket. Does the same thing happen if you use a multi way mains splitter and operate all devices from one socket? Even if it's wrongly wired, they should all be the same way round. It's possible but unlikely that the plug on the TV is wrongly wired but you could always cut it off and replace it. (the only way to find out about it would be to destroy it, unfortunately as it is almost sure to be the moulded type)

But, on modern equipment, the only shock you should expect would be a tiny 'scratchy' sensation; not lethal or even uncomfortable. In the days of TV, there was no transformer and no exposed metal parts. The chassis was connected to N and that could kill you if the plug was wired incorrectly (red/brown/white/black ? - you name it) and you could get your hand inside. The only way to connect to other equipment was by ac coupling (RF in via capacitors or balanced audio out via a transformer.)

Last edited:
berkeman said:
You can test your neutral with a DVM. Carefully measure the AC voltage between Neutral and ground in several wall sockets in the house. You should not get much of a voltage. You will get more voltage farther from the breaker panel, and when there are large loads on the line.

I measured the Voltage between AC and neutral. In some places it's around 3V and in others it's 50V!
I think 50V is way too high.

sophiecentaur said:
Sounds to me that L and N could be reversed in the socket. Does the same thing happen if you use a multi way mains splitter and operate all devices from one socket? Even if it's wrongly wired, they should all be the same way round. It's possible but unlikely that the plug on the TV is wrongly wired but you could always cut it off and replace it. (the only way to find out about it would be to destroy it, unfortunately as it is almost sure to be the moulded type)

Yes, same thing with multi-way mains splitter.
I get a mild shock(if I am grounded) when I touch any screws on my laptop(IBM T42).
While holding the laptop, if I don't touch the screws and touch someone who is grounded, I can feel the current(skin effect I think, bcoz of the SMPS switching frequency). The adapter plug does not have a different pin for Neutral and Line. In some equipments one is slightly larger at the front.
My other laptop-Compaq, has a 3 pin plug. I can feel the current when I touch someone who is grounded.

Related to Ground 2-Pin Plug: Prevent Electric Shock with TV & Laptop

1. What is a ground 2-pin plug?

A ground 2-pin plug is a type of electrical plug that has two prongs, one for the live wire and one for the neutral wire. It does not have a third prong for the ground wire, which is typically used to prevent electric shock.

2. How does the ground 2-pin plug prevent electric shock?

The ground 2-pin plug prevents electric shock by providing a path for excess electricity to flow to the ground. If there is a fault in the circuit or if someone accidentally touches a live wire, the ground wire will carry the electricity away from the person, preventing them from getting shocked.

3. Can I use a ground 2-pin plug with my TV and laptop?

Yes, you can use a ground 2-pin plug with your TV and laptop. However, it is important to note that these devices are typically designed to be used with a three-prong plug. Using a two-prong plug may increase the risk of electric shock.

4. Are ground 2-pin plugs safe to use?

Ground 2-pin plugs can be safe to use, as long as they are used correctly and with devices that are designed to be used with them. However, using a ground 2-pin plug with devices that require a three-prong plug may increase the risk of electric shock.

5. Can I convert a ground 2-pin plug into a three-prong plug?

No, it is not safe to convert a ground 2-pin plug into a three-prong plug. This is because the ground wire serves an important safety function and converting the plug may compromise its effectiveness in preventing electric shock. It is recommended to use the appropriate plug for your device instead.