Help changing a plug from Europe to UK.

• Thread starter JWSmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Europe Uk
In summary, the conversation is about changing a European 2-Pin plug to a 3-Pin UK plug. The person is unsure about the different types of plugs available and how to properly change it. They are seeking guidance and assistance in this matter. However, the expert advises against attempting to re-wire the plug and suggests using approved converters instead. The conversation ends with the expert closing the thread.
JWSmith
Hi there,

Please forgive my ignorance, but when it comes to changing plugs, I am a complete novice.

I have a European 2-Pin plug, 2.A and 250V (One blue, one brown wire).

As I am in the UK, this doesn't work in our sockets.

I need to change it over to a 3-Pin, UK plug. But, when I went to purchase a new plug, there were many different types. Some saying 5A, some 13A.

I'm wondering how I'd change it?

Can I ground it in a 3-Pin plug, if there are only two wires in the cable I have?

Do I purchase one of those plugs where the third pin (top pin) is simply plastic?

Any help/guidance in this field is much appreciated! :)

Many Thanks,

Jay

Engineering news on Phys.org
We cannot provide help like this to novices. Please use approved converters for adapting power plugs, and don't try to re-wire them yourself. Thread is closed.

Likes CalcNerd

Related to Help changing a plug from Europe to UK.

1. How do I change a plug from Europe to UK?

To change a plug from Europe to UK, you will need a plug adapter or a new plug. First, check the voltage and frequency of the appliance you are trying to plug in. If it is compatible with the UK's voltage of 230V and frequency of 50Hz, then you can use a plug adapter. If not, you will need to replace the plug with a UK plug.

2. What type of plug adapter do I need for Europe to UK?

You will need a Type G plug adapter, which has three rectangular prongs. This is the standard plug used in the UK.

3. Can I use a European appliance in the UK without changing the plug?

No, you should not use a European appliance in the UK without changing the plug. The UK has a different voltage and frequency, which can damage the appliance and pose a safety hazard.

4. Where can I buy a UK plug adapter or new plug?

You can buy a UK plug adapter or new plug at most hardware stores, electronic stores, or online retailers. Make sure to check the voltage and frequency compatibility before purchasing.

5. Can I change the plug myself or do I need a professional?

If you are comfortable working with electrical appliances, you can change the plug yourself. However, if you are unsure or have any doubts, it is recommended to seek the help of a professional electrician to ensure safety.