Grim Day on the Texas Power Grid

In summary, the Southwest Power Pool is imposing rolling blackouts at a time when millions of residential customers need home heating. The oil refineries shut down, and expect gasoline/diesel shortages and price spikes nation wide in a few days. There is no way to import bulk power to most of the state from outside.
DaveE said:
Yes, the devil is in the details.
Read #29.

Likes DaveE
Engineering news on Phys.org
DaveE said:
I think the interesting part of this is the fall out regarding public attitudes towards regulation vs free market; cheap energy vs. reliable supply; collective solutions vs. isolation from other states, etc. Texas has been an outlier in these choices. Will that continue?

Whatever solution is found it's likely to be uniquely Texan.
FF_06082005_0014.jpg

https://www.marvel.com/characters/texas-twister
They're like the Hulk, the more you pound them, the meaner they get.

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
It seems that Texans (or at least their politicians) value independence over reliability.

Here is an excerpt from an article in the Texas Tribune after the 2011 failure:
https://www.texastribune.org/2011/02/08/texplainer-why-does-texas-have-its-own-power-grid/

"The Texas Interconnected System (http://tx.findacase.com/research/wf..../FDCT/NTX/1979/19790130_0000007.NTX.htm/qx)— which for a long time was actually operated by two discrete entities (http://www.ercot.com/about/profile/history/), one for northern Texas and one for southern Texas — had another priority: staying out of the reach of federal regulators. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Federal Power Act, which charged the Federal Power Commission with overseeing interstate electricity sales. By not crossing state lines, Texas utilities avoided being subjected to federal rules. "Freedom from federal regulation was a cherished goal — more so because Texas had no regulation until the 1970s,""

A case of You Reap What You Sow.

Last edited:
Well speaking about freedom sometimes people I think get rather foolish about it. I mean having freedom in a sense that you can have free speech or choice of religion is good but connecting a bunch of wires and circuit breakers won't suck anyone's soul out or make anyone possessed so I really can't see any downside of that , after all it's the same country that you are connecting to.I don't claim to be an expert and even though I drive a LPG car I haven't read that much about gas physics although I think I know some basics.
One thing seems weird to me, even though LPG is much better at being stored cold than natural gas aka methane, I think a gas all by itself cannot freeze , well not in mild cold conditions, it could liquefy but that would require temperatures nearing superconductor working ones.
Could it be that the Texas pipelines were not up to task and "clean enough" and that caused the freezing?
One way I can imagine this could occur if the gas is contaminated with water vapor which could then freeze up causing the pressure to drop in the pipe causing further cooling and freezing.
Here is a short paper describing something like that.
https://asgmt.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf-docs/2011/1/T06.pdf
Like a common failure mode in cars equipped with LPG is that the gas reductor (for those that don't know, the part were the liquefied high pressure gas is allowed to expand so that it can be turned back to gas state for dosing into individual cylinders. Because squirting in drops of liquid gas on hot metal piston would likely cause the engine to explode itself) so if this reductor loses it's heating the gas causes it to freeze to very low temperatures even during hot summer temperatures. Because the gas is performing the same process it does in a AC or any other cooling pump taking away heat as it expands.
So what happens is the water vapor surrounding the reductor freezes up and causes the gas pipes to become one giant frozen water clump.
This actually happened to me once. Then I went and repaired and rerouted my heating hoses. You could say I had a Texas happening under my hood...
Also as this happened the gas that entered my engine became more and more liquid and I could hear how detonation was starting to happen.

Likes Tom.G
I think @austinuni made a good point because one wants good thermal insulation year round because it not only helps keep the heat in at winter but the also keep the heat out in summer. Otherwise you are just making the local energy company rich by needlessly driving your AC.

artis said:
1) A smaller grid with too small reserve capacity is more likely to fail than a larger one with more backups, this I think is pretty much a universal axiom
That's a tricky one. While in itself it's true: in practice it's often used to reduce the amount of reserves (especially in case some heavily donated intermittent sources pressuring the grid), so overall you can easily end with just bigger blackouts. As it went in Europe, a continent wide blackout is no longer just a nightmare - it's already an existing danger.

Last edited:
Tom.G said:
A case of You Reap What You Sow.

Let's not ignore the evidence. Post #3 in this thread shows that blackouts also occurred the same day in Oklahoma, Texas' nearest neighbor. (And other states too. See #3). Oklahoma is part of the large Eastern Interconnect in North America. Oklahoma also has it's own laws/regulations/operator/owners/profit motives/ ... and so on.

Based on that evidence, I say Texas' lack of interstate connections was not a primary cause of this event.

anorlunda said:
A giant asteroid crashing into Earth could cause a world-wide blackout. But we wouldn't care, because we would all be dead anyhow.
Reminds me of a question concerning the safety of nuclear power plants from an anti-nuclear activist, "What would happen if a giant asteroid hit a nuclear plant?" The paraphrased response was "if an asteroid hit a nuclear plant, the plant wouldn't be the problem."

With respect to the FOX news article: "The price hikes affected only those customers on variable or indexed-rate plans, not those with a fixed-rate." Don't pick variable or indexed-rate plans, otherwise read the details. I was wondering if one could apply a force majeure provision.
anorlunda said:
I say Texas' lack of interstate connections was not a primary cause of this event.
Not a primary cause, but certainly a contributor to the fiasco that unfolded. If power had been available from Louisiana and/or Arkansas, assuming there was plenty of reserve/excess, then perhaps gas transmission lines could have delivered gas if the problem had been losing electrical power to the compressors.

As for gas lines freezing, I understand that it was instrumentation, or perhaps moisture in the gas, rather than the gas itself that froze. Melting point of methane: -295.6°F (-182°C). LPG is a blend of propane and butane, and perhaps small amount of isobutane, butylene, propylene. LPG (propane) has -42°C boiling point, -188°C freezing point.

• Informative
Likes nsaspook and PeroK
With respect to gas lines freezing,
Natural gas wells and pipes ill-equipped for cold weather are a big reason why millions of Texans lost power during frigid temperatures this week. As temperatures dropped to record lows across some parts of the state, liquid inside wells, pipes, and valves froze solid.

Ice can block gas flow, clogging pipes. It’s a phenomenon called a “freeze-off” that disrupts gas production across the US every winter. But freeze-offs can have outsized effects in Texas, as we’ve seen this week. The state is a huge natural gas producer — and it doesn’t usually have to deal with such cold weather.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/17/22287130/texas-natural-gas-production-power-outages-frozen
While the frigid cold slashed fuel supplies of all sorts, it also drove up demand for natural gas to heat homes. That “mismatch” is what’s driving these blackouts, says Coombs. There simply hasn’t been enough fuel on hand to power the state’s electricity needs. Natural gas production was pretty much halved in Texas and its gas-rich Permian Basin during the recent cold and stormy weather. It fell from 22.5 billion cubic feet of gas produced per day in December to between 10 to 12 billion cubic feet of gas per day this week, according to estimates from BTU Analytics.

That drop-off in production is thanks to freeze-offs at wellheads where oil and gas are pumped out of the ground. But the cold has also stopped equipment from working properly at gas processing plants, Coombs says. Processing plants separate gas from fluid and impurities; when equipment freezes, plants have to heat it up or wait for temperatures to rise before they can resume their work.

While other states invest more in equipment that helps prevent freeze-offs, Texas hasn’t seen the need. North Dakota typically sees 20 days a year with freeze-off events, while the Permian Basin would normally have just four days a year with freeze-offs disrupting gas production, according to BTU Analytics.
Production of natural gas in the state has plunged, making it difficult for power plants to get the fuel necessary to run the plants. Natural gas power plants usually don’t have very much fuel storage on site, experts said. Instead, the plants rely on the constant flow of natural gas from pipelines that run across the state from areas like the Permian Basin in West Texas to major demand centers like Houston and Dallas.
. . .
The systems that get gas from the Earth aren’t properly built for cold weather. Operators in West Texas’ Permian Basin, one of the most productive oil fields in the world, are particularly struggling to bring natural gas to the surface, analysts said, as cold weather and snow close wells or cause power outages that prevent pumping the fossil fuels from the ground.

“Gathering lines freeze, and the wells get so cold that they can’t produce,” said Parker Fawcett, a natural gas analyst for S&P Global Platts. “And pumps use electricity, so they’re not even able to lift that gas and liquid, because there’s no power to produce.”
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/wea...or-power-it-wasnt-ready-for-the-extreme-cold/
It's going to be up to Texans to sort out this mess.

Similarly, with wind turbines, they can operate (as long as there is sufficient wind) in cold climates without freezing.

Astronuc said:
Similarly, with wind turbines, they can operate (as long as there is sufficient wind) in cold climates without freezing.
It's not the temperature per se, but the accumulation of ice on the blades, which cause imbalance.Regarding contributory causes. Almost all of us (including me) want one or two primary things to blame for bad outcomes. A hypothetical event with 20 causes, each contributing 5% to the risk, would be profoundly unsatisfying to people who would like to render judgement.

Likes Mondayman and Vanadium 50
Nuclear plants aren't necessarily immune to faults:
On Monday, Feb. 15, 2021, at 0537, an automatic reactor trip occurred at South Texas Project in Unit 1. The trip resulted from a loss of feedwater attributed to a cold weather-related failure of a pressure sensing lines to the feedwater pumps, causing a false signal, which in turn, caused the feedwater pump to trip. This event occurred in the secondary side of the plant (non-nuclear part of the unit). The reactor trip was a result of the feedwater pump trips. The primary side of the plant (nuclear side) is safe and secured.
https://atomicinsights.com/south-texas-project-unit-1-tripped-at-0537-on-feb-15-2021/
https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/event/2021/20210216en.html#en55104

anorlunda said:
Almost all of us (including me) want one or two primary things to blame for bad outcomes. A hypothetical event with 20 causes, each contributing 5% to the risk, would be profoundly unsatisfying to people who would like to render judgement.
I like complicated problems. I've done plenty of root cause failure analyses, mostly with respect to nuclear fuel and core component failures, and there are often several factors (e.g., design, materials, manufacturing and operation). Often though, it's a matter of what was overlooked or ignored in design and/or operations.

Likes anorlunda
anorlunda said:
It's not the temperature per se, but the accumulation of ice on the blades, which cause imbalance.Regarding contributory causes. Almost all of us (including me) want one or two primary things to blame for bad outcomes. A hypothetical event with 20 causes, each contributing 5% to the risk, would be profoundly unsatisfying to people who would like to render judgement.
It's not a question of rendering judgement, but that the widespread extent and prolonged nature of the failure cannot be attributed to one technical fault. Almost by definition, any failure on this scale must ultimately point to a systematic failure of governance. This is well beyond what could possibly have been caused by one engineering or technical oversight - or even several technical blunders.

Ultimately, the root causes of something like this must be financial and political in nature. The technical failures, whatever they are, are ultimately a manifestation of a failure of governance of the state's power and water supplies.

There can be no doubt about where the accountability lies.

Likes suremarc and Astronuc
Well I think this is mainly the same problem as with the joke about the "Jamaican hockey team", it's definitely not a new or unheard of event that people tend to get used to the conditions that prevail in the long term and considering a once in a century or once in a half century type of event is unlikely.
I don't want to sound anti free market but I think investors and private companies are also largely to blame here and maybe even understandably because who would want to equip everything for a -20 C winter when there simply isn't one.
It is definitely not a matter of technical incapability, Russia for example has a huge natural gas infrastructure of which at least half is located in permanent freezing like the Yamal gas field and processing plant.
I know a dozen of reactors off the top of my head that have worked or work in winter conditions so again should be no problems there.I think it's simply not having enough redundancy and the cause for that well I think we all know, is most likely the wish to earn the same dollars without having to invest more.

Maybe we need a new patent for wind turbine blades with heating for turbines that work in winter conditions. Just build in some resistive elements and attach a two wire slipring to the shaft, one could simply use the power generated right on the spot with the help of a temp sensor and some electronics to switch on or off, depending on weather conditions.

It seems like a rather long and exhausting process.

artis said:
Well I think this is mainly the same problem as with the joke about the "Jamaican hockey team",
Do you mean the Jamaican bobsleigh team?

Likes Klystron and Keith_McClary
artis said:
Maybe we need a new patent for wind turbine blades with heating for turbines that work in winter conditions.
You're trivializing a problem that's more difficult than you think. Studies in many countries have investigated that question and looked at many methods in addition to heating elements. Try this search:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=wind+turbine+throwing+ice&ia=web

1613926415103.png

Also, consider this:
For safety reasons, the turbines are shut down while the heating elements melt off the ice, Kurt said. That way, there’s no chance of ice flying off spinning blades, potentially damaging the turbines or, worse, striking someone on the ground, she said.

anorlunda said:
"Rolling blackouts" are supposed to be designed so that no customer is out for more than 3-4 hours (they said 12 hours in the WSJ article). Even in thin walled houses, it may take longer than that for pipes to freeze. But this week, some customers were out for more than 72 hours. That indicates a second level failure. The rolling blackouts didn't roll.
This article in the Texas Tribune shows an outage map of Texas from 1000-1100 on February 16.
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16/natural-gas-power-storm/

It's interesting how non-uniform it was, and how some went without power for a few hours to a few days, while other didn't lose power (not referring to El Paso).

I checked in with another family member. She stated they lost power, but unlike many others, they have a backup generator.

Likes anorlunda
Astronuc said:
It's interesting how non-uniform it was, and how some went without power for a few hours to a few days, while other didn't lose power (not referring to El Paso).
Thanks for the hard data @Astronuc . Imposition of rolling blackouts is a manual thing. People decide where and when, and the influence of politics and/or personal preference are always suspected. At my organization during the 2003 blackout, one operator said "We are about to loose S*******," referring to an upstate city with population 150K. The supervisor said, "F*** S*******. Protect New York City." It has always been the case, that in New York State, only New York City counts.

anorlunda said:
At my organization during the 2003 blackout, one operator said "We are about to loose S*******," referring to an upstate city with population 150K. The supervisor said, "F*** S*******. Protect New York City." It has always been the case, that in New York State, only New York City counts.
Oh, I remember that day. Thanks to deregulation, the local utility, like other utilities, had sold off their plants to merchant producers, so they had to buy power from the grid. Prior to deregulation, the local utility could have isolated itself and remained up. After deregulation, when the grid goes down, everyone goes down. Deregulation never reduced cost or save consumers money, as there was never any significant competition (but that is a different matter).

I was sitting at my desk in my office, which overlooked Main Street in a small city. The lights dimmed, flickered, stabilized, then flickered, went off, came back on, then went off again. I thought at the time, that the construction crew working outside had hit another buried power cable, which had happened earlier that week (the whole street had been dug up to convert a pedestrian section into an actual street for vehicles). Power was completely out. I thought it was the blocks or blocks, but then I called my wife to tell her I would probably be home before the usual time, and she told me that the house and neighborhood had no power. Then we started hearing from others that they had no power, and it was not only the city and our area, but regional, and statewide, and ultimately regional up into Ontario. I hurried home and immediately went to a local convenience store to grab some ice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003

As part of my graduate course work, I had taken a class in network analysis and reliability. I had expected the local system to be better protected.

Likes Klystron and PeroK
anorlunda said:
Thanks for the hard data @Astronuc . Imposition of rolling blackouts is a manual thing. People decide where and when, and the influence of politics and/or personal preference are always suspected. At my organization during the 2003 blackout, one operator said "We are about to loose S*******," referring to an upstate city with population 150K. The supervisor said, "F*** S*******. Protect New York City." It has always been the case, that in New York State, only New York City counts.

Didn't new york city lose power for like, two days then? Am I thinking of a different blackout?

anorlunda said:
No, NYC was out from about 4:15PM to 11PM the same day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003#New_York

The only mention of 11pm I see there is that the path resumed operating.

In fact,

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/15/...blacks-northeast-hitting-cities-8-states.html

Very primary source that specifically states Manhattan did not have power back at 11pm.

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/15/...blacks-northeast-hitting-cities-8-states.html

Says power was off in most of the city for about a day (though it doesn't really say when on the 15th it came back).

Picture 26 has a person on the 15th charging his laptop off a car battery in broad daylight. Picture 28 also describes the second day of the blackout.

I think substantial parts of the city had no power at least for the morning of the second day.

On the other hand I can find literally no sources from any time that say anything about how long syracuse didn't have power for, so your main point still stands.

Office_Shredder said:
The only mention of 11pm I see there is that the path resumed operating.

You're right. The thing I read on the wiki was only about the subway. But I missed this.

Most places restored power by midnight (within 7 hours), some as early as 6 p.m. on August 14 (within 2 hours).[2] New York subways resumed limited services around 8 p.m.[2] Full power was restored to New York City and Toronto on August 16.

So yes, a 2 day outage for many people in NYC.

nsaspook said:

Reminds me of when we first came to Texas, we went to a McDonalds and asked for tea.

The server started to put ice in the cup and we said no no we wanted regular tea. She then proceeded to just put in the ice tea mix. We didn't know if she was about to put it in the microwave but a manager stepped in quick, apologized, said he was from NY and then said sadly we don't sell hot tea here.

I've also heard the counter story of a Texan in NYC asking for tea and getting hot tea.

• Haha
Likes suremarc, hutchphd, nsaspook and 1 other person
A very newsworthy follow-up to this event is the sky high bills that Texas electric consumers faced. Numerous new sources say as high as $17000, for 3 days. That is a very important issue.

[A second follow up would be the failures of numerous municipal water systems. Certainly, water is as vital to life as electricity, and that makes it a critical infrastructure. We could add water to the discussions in this thread, or start a new thread. GE or even GD might be better than EE for this thread.]

A caveat: Since 2015, I have been arguing on PF that energy can never be intelligently discussed as a technical & engineering problem without politics and social issues. Many prominent PF members disagree strongly. Since there is a PF rule about political topics, I cannot avoid skirting the boundary of what’s allowed on PF. The words regulated and deregulated are political hot buttons, but I can't avoid using them.

4 ways to structure the electric power industry.
  1. Classical Regulated Utilities – A classical utility can be public or private, but it is vertically integrated. generation-transmission-distribution-retail are all provided by a single entity that is granted a monopoly over a specified territory. Some of them even did their own construction and mining. They are allowed to profit a negotiated percentage of their investment and costs.
  2. Half regulated – This is the model where generation is split off, leaving transmission-distribution-retail with a regulated classical monopoly.
  3. Deregulated down to the retail level. This is the model in Texas. Providers buy power wholesale and sell it retail to consumers. Providers don’t need much more than a PC, a domain name, and an Internet connection to start their business. There are 127 of them in Texas. The former regulated utilities still have monopolies, but their business model is to collect fees for transporting energy from point A to point B. They no longer participate in the purchase or sale of energy, wholesale or retail.
  4. Not regulated, no monopoly. The few places in the world that have that look like this:
    1614010353161.png
Superimposed on that are other important players.
  • Regulators. In the USA, every state has a PUC (Public Utilities Commission). We also have FERC, the federal regulator with jurisdiction everywhere except Texas. The PUC that I'm most familiar with has 400 lawyers, but only one engineer in their staff.
  • NERC (North America Electric Reliability Corporation). This is a voluntary group that sets standards for electric power companies. AFAIK, everyone in North America follows NERC standards, whether or not mandated by regulation. Compare NERC to UL for electric appliances, or NFPA for fire safety, or ISO for diverse standards.
  • The grid operator. In most places, an independent organization such as ERCOT, PJM, MSIO, NYISO, NEPOOL, CAISO, ... sits above the utilities and generators to operate the grid.

One of the conclusions after the 1965 NE blackout (which started my engineering career) was that power companies were too small to operate the grid securely. Regional level control was needed. The first one was the New York Power Pool (today called NYISO).

Since 2000, the independent operators also took on the job of running the markets for electric energy and services, analogous to how the Chicago Board of Trade runs commodity markets. FERC regulations mandate independent grid operators, so they result from regulation, not deregulation.
Now, back to the events of this month. Texas uses model #3, mandated by a 2002 law. The $17000 electric bills are a consequence of model #3. Commodity prices set by public auction are intrinsically volatile. Past attempts to set ceilings on the prices have always failed. New York actually has a law forbidding the ISO from considering price when purchasing power critically needed to keep the lights on. Customers in other countries such as Sweden have also be harmed by model #3.

Texas consumers are lured by advertisements such as this:

1614010568111.png

Proponents of model #3 argue that it keeps profits in the community rather than big nameless, faceless, corporate fat cats, and hated public utilities.

I favor model #2. In that model, only power companies and big industrials participate in the volatile wholesale market. Retail prices are set by negotiations between the PUC and the regulated utilities, and typically stay fixed for 1-2 years. I believe that retail customer can never be adequately educated about the risks of model #3, and the significance of price spikes that happen only 0.6% of the time. Therefore, IMO model #3 should never be used.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Fisherman199, Klystron, sandy stone and 7 others
A personal note on this storm, I've lived through many extreme storms in NY where the power was out for days where it was so bad we kids/teens longed for school. There was only so many things you could do at home like read a book you've read before (we didn't buy books and not read them that would be wasteful) or better read comics and draw stuff or play board games (no internet) or fight with your siblings over nothing or go outside and brave the snow, ice and cold knowing that there was no heat when you got back inside.

As an adult I lived through a few ice storms in Poughkeepsie where the October leaves had yet to fall but during the great ice storm big branches took out the power, telephone and cable lines and blocked the roads and yes still no internet, no cell phone, no telephone, no electricity and no cable. But the kids had fun and the ice on the trees was magical in the moonlight and day too.

I have to say though that this storm in Austin was an order worse than those storms of the past. The bitter cold for days killed our plants outside and in the garage where we kept the more precious ones. I imagine too that our bugs are goners and that we'll have a nice summer although it would have been nice to average out the heat and cold across the year. I don't know about the birds whom we saw just a day before the storm hit.

We didn't lose electricity but the hardest part was the loss of water and having to melt snow on the stove (took too long for normal melt) to for toilet flushes. We also had to scramble for groceries even though we had prepared beforehand as the HEB market was stripped clean. On the bright side got to play with our granddaughter for several days now.

Some folks were so concerned about losing tree branches that they propped them up with 8ft lumber with swimming noodles attached to warn people not to run into them while walking on the sidewalk. I had to go around and trim some branches to reduce the load on the tree. Another family nearby spent the days creating an ice castle/igloo out of the snow pack and some colored sand which promptly melted away.

Can't wait for the next one!

Likes Klystron, kith, atyy and 3 others
anorlunda said:
A very newsworthy follow-up to this event is the sky high bills that Texas electric consumers faced. Numerous new sources say as high as $17000, for 3 days. That is a very important issue.

Talked to my mom in Texas that never lost power, she pays a typical fixed-rate plan like most people so her bill will not increase. It's a news story that as usual leaves out important facts to make a sexy story. Only the few (from a pool of millions that didn't) that signed up to pay wholesale prices might see a change in the bills due to wholesale price spikes. A few, voluntarily, in the state of Texas, took chances to play the wholesale price game and lost.

https://apnews.com/article/texas-high-electric-bills-explained-aa77ff97be48bf2c8fabfdc2e4a6d08c

Likes atyy
nsaspook said:
Talked to my mom in Texas that never lost power, she pays a typical fixed-rate plan like most people so her bill will not increase. It's a news story that as usual leaves out important facts to make a sexy story. Only the few (from a pool of millions that didn't) that signed up to pay wholesale prices might see a change in the bills due to wholesale price spikes. A few, voluntarily, in the state of Texas, took chances to play the wholesale price game and lost.

https://apnews.com/article/texas-high-electric-bills-explained-aa77ff97be48bf2c8fabfdc2e4a6d08c

Yes, but this was advertised to all Texas consumers and many trying to save on electrical bills went for it. Texas is a state that values personal freedom to the extreme.

You can own a gun, carry it anywhere unless there's a prohibition posted. It may be concealed or open depending on the license and you can shoot yourself in the foot but you'll need to pay your own medical bills if you do and maybe tell the police why you did it.

What kind of state is that?

• Haha
Likes Mondayman, hutchphd, atyy and 2 others
jedishrfu said:
Yes, but this was advertised to all Texas consumers and many trying to save on electrical bills went for it. Texas is a state that values personal freedom to the extreme.

You can own a gun, carry it anywhere unless there's a prohibition posted. It may be concealed or open depending on the license and you can shoot yourself in the foot but you'll need to pay your own medical bills if you do and maybe tell the police why you did it.

Sounds like New Hampshire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_Hampshire

• Haha
Likes atyy and jedishrfu
nsaspook said:
A few, voluntarily, in the state of Texas, took chances to play the wholesale price game and lost.
That article is about Griddy, one of the 127 provieders. I can foretell the jokes already -- no Griddy but Greedy.

jedishrfu said:
You can own a gun, carry it anywhere unless there's a prohibition posted.
It's the same in Vermont. You have to be 16 to carry, but 21 to buy a gun in VT.
On my first day in Vermont, I saw a headline, "First murder in Vermont in 3 Years."

Likes Fisherman199, atyy and nsaspook
We should stay on topic because being a featured thread means all the Greg’s (future governor @Greg Bernhardt and current governor Greg Abbott) of the world will be watching it

Likes atyy and nsaspook
Vistra Corp., one of the largest power generators in Texas, said it warned state agencies days before cascading blackouts plunged millions into darkness that internal forecasts showed electricity demand was expected to exceed supply.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...kouts-one-texas-power-giant-sounded-the-alarm

Same article on Yahoo if one cannot access Bloomberg
https://news.yahoo.com/days-blackouts-one-texas-power-014130098.html

jedishrfu said:
As an adult I lived through a few ice storms in Poughkeepsie where the October leaves had yet to fall but during the great ice storm big branches took out the power, telephone and cable lines and blocked the roads and yes still no internet, no cell phone, no telephone, no electricity and no cable. But the kids had fun and the ice on the trees was magical in the moonlight and day too.
I can relate to that. :wink::-p
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/weat...ms_in_the_northeast_in_the_past_60_years.html

That list of 25 worst storms is weakest (25th) to strongest (1st), with 1st at the bottom.
The first was the Blizzard or Superstorm of 1993.

My wife was stranded with 2 ft of snow and two kids. On Friday, March 12, 1993, I was trying to get home from New Orleans, where it was snowing. My colleagues and I checked in at the airport and went to get dinner. After dinner, we walked to the concourse and discovered all flights going east were canceled (I probably should have taken a flight to Houston and grabbed a redeye to NY City, but this was before electronic tickets and online reservations). We had a connection in Charlotte. So we rebooked for the next morning, then checked into a hotel for the night.

Next day, March 13, we caught our flight and got to Charlotte. We changed planes and headed to LGA. We we 15 minutes from landing (1.5 hrs after leaving CLT) when the pilot was informed that LGA had closed due to heavy snow, so we turned around and flew back to CLT. After we landed in CLT, one of went to check on hotels, while the rest went to check flights. No flights, so we got a taxi and headed to the La Quinta near CLT. We go there and the power was out. We checked in by flashlight and paper. Next thing was getting dinner - Waffle House was the only thing open (that block was the only block with power), and fortunately in walking distance. We ate dinner and went back to the hotel. Power came on again in the morning. We had two choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner: Waffle House and Cracker Barrell. YeeeeHaaah. We didn't leave CLT until Monday, March 15. The flight got to LGA, finally, and we parked on the tarmac for about 45 minutes waiting for a gait. I got to my car and drove home.

New York City and suburbs weren't too bad, but by the time I got up near home, what was normally a two lane stretch of parkway (four lanes with a wide median) was a narrow one lane road with high embankments of snow on either side. I got home and found the driveway plowed - and a lot of snow in the yard. There had been 24 inches of snow (that weekend) on top of the 18 inches that had accumulated though the previous weekend.

My wife told me - don't ever do that again! My folks had planned to visit, but they were stranded in Boston.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu and atyy
jedishrfu said:

One that shot itself into the foot figuratively with its electricity grid.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd and jedishrfu