Greetings from Seoul: Exploring My Korean Roots

In summary, the speaker is currently in Seoul, Korea and has internet access at their accommodation. They are on holiday with their father, who is a former missionary in Korea. They will be visiting Busan, where the speaker was born. The speaker also shares a photo of them with a "YangBan" at a folk village, a Korean gentleman and scholar. They express their love for scholarship and mention that they may not be posting much for the next month.
sylas
Science Advisor
I'm currently in Seoul, Korea. My last blog here warned I might be gone for a bit, but I have internet at my current accommodation, so here's a hi!

You can find out more about why I might be in Korea from my very first blog entry: https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=1316 . I've come home to the land of my birth -- despite being a thoroughbred WASP (White Anglo Saxon Protestant). It has been a wonderful visit so far, and shows all indications of continuing that way. It's a holiday, but more than a holiday, because I am with my Dad who has been invited back and is guest of honour at all kinds of church groups, since he was a missionary here many years ago. I kind of trail along, carry bags, smile and nod when Dad speaks quite competent conversational Korean. Off to Busan tomorrow, where I was born.

And to make you all jealous; here's a photo. I love scholarship of all kinds, and we met this "YangBan" at a folk village. He is the genuine article; a real old school Korean gentleman and scholar of aristocratic lineage and high standing, generously giving time to share some of his knowledge at the village, where a home of his family ancestors is one of those restored (the backdrop). I am in the red T-shirt, with the YangBan on the left and my father on the right.

K5220074-496x372-WithKoreanGentlemanOfLeadingFamilyAtFolkVillage.JPG

Cheers -- 서형일 -- who is not likely to be posting all that much for another month or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sylas said:
I'm currently in Seoul, Korea. My last blog here warned I might be gone for a bit, but I have internet at my current accommodation, so here's a hi!

You can find out more about why I might be in Korea from my very first blog entry: https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=1316 . I've come home to the land of my birth -- despite being a thoroughbred WASP (White Anglo Saxon Protestant). It has been a wonderful visit so far, and shows all indications of continuing that way. It's a holiday, but more than a holiday, because I am with my Dad who has been invited back and is guest of honour at all kinds of church groups, since he was a missionary here many years ago. I kind of trail along, carry bags, smile and nod when Dad speaks quite competent conversational Korean. Off to Busan tomorrow, where I was born.

And to make you all jealous; here's a photo. I love scholarship of all kinds, and we met this "YangBan" at a folk village. He is the genuine article; a real old school Korean gentleman and scholar of aristocratic lineage and high standing, generously giving time to share some of his knowledge at the village, where a home of his family ancestors is one of those restored (the backdrop). I am in the red T-shirt, with the YangBan on the left and my father on the right.

View attachment 25940

Cheers -- 서형일 -- who is not likely to be posting all that much for another month or so.

hey Sylas,

Enjoy your trip , man. And share your experiences with us when you come back !

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoo! Someone that's in my time zone.

Related to Greetings from Seoul: Exploring My Korean Roots

1. What inspired you to write "Greetings from Seoul: Exploring My Korean Roots?"

I was inspired to write this book because I have always been curious about my Korean roots and wanted to explore my heritage. I also wanted to share my experience with others who may have a similar interest or connection to their cultural roots.

2. How did you conduct your research for the book?

I conducted my research through a combination of personal interviews with family members, historical documents, and visits to Korea. I also consulted with experts and scholars to ensure the accuracy and authenticity of the information presented in the book.

3. What aspects of Korean culture and history did you focus on in the book?

The book covers a wide range of topics, including traditional customs, food, language, and modern Korean society. I also delve into the history of Korea, including the Japanese occupation and the Korean War, to provide a deeper understanding of the country's past and how it has shaped its present.

4. How does "Greetings from Seoul" differ from other books about Korean culture?

Unlike many other books on Korean culture, "Greetings from Seoul" is a personal and intimate exploration of my own experiences and connections to Korea. It also incorporates a mix of historical and contemporary perspectives, providing a well-rounded view of the country.

5. What do you hope readers will take away from reading "Greetings from Seoul"?

I hope that readers will gain a better understanding and appreciation for Korean culture and history. I also hope that it will inspire others to explore their own cultural roots and connect with their heritage in a meaningful way.