Greetings from a humble amateur

• Thread starter Staticboson
  • Start date
In summary, "Greetings from a humble amateur" is a phrase often used by individuals who are new to a certain field or hobby and are introducing themselves to others. It conveys a sense of humility and eagerness to learn from more experienced individuals. The phrase can be used in various contexts, such as in a social media post, a personal introduction, or in a group setting. It is a polite and respectful way to express one's enthusiasm for a new endeavor and to seek guidance and support from others.
Staticboson
There are ulterior motives for me joining this forum, which will reveal themselves in the form of silly but completely honest questions over time.

I am not completely naïve of Physics matters, being a 59 year old practicing electrical engineer (apologies in advance) with a nagging interest in Modern Physics born on the moment I heard the word "atom" at the age of 7. Been deeply interested in astronomy and the structure & topology of the universe since a young age, and chose Physics as a minor just to try and widen my understanding... which unfortunately had the opposite effect of creating more questions than answers for the reminder of my days.

I am fortunate to have a close relationship with my father (also an EE with enormous interest in metaphysical matters) and my uncle (ME PhD staunch materialist and practical scientist with a huge interest in astronomy). We get together every Friday afternoon for coffee and science-related "philosophical" discussions, and needless to say these can become intensely heated. Both of these guys are better read and educated than me, and being the younger and hot headed one does not put me in a favorable position among the elders.

So unresolved matters come up often. Some of the matters are well within the scope of what the diverse pool of knowledge in this forum might be able to help with.

So if you will, bear with me until I have a grasp on the local ropes. And thank you in advance for this place!

Cheers,

Mike

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF! :smile:

We're of no help on philosophical questions or pseudoscience, but we are a great resource for mainstream science and engineering discussions.

Likes Staticboson
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF! :smile:

We're of no help on philosophical questions or pseudoscience, but we are a great resource for mainstream science and engineering discussions.

Thank you for the welcome!

No worries, I will only bring up questions that can be answered within the boundaries of science :smile:

Likes marcusl and berkeman