Green Dot: Am I Online or Not?

• Bug
  • Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of quick replies on a forum and the possibility that it is caused by a cookie problem. The forum code modifies the page by sending information to the server and refreshing the thread may cause the order of responses to appear differently.
Andre
Now, am I online or not? :smile:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22026080/green-dot.jpg

edit. This was the immediate result after posting the last post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Was it a quick reply? I believe these are rendered locally, on your computer, and not necessarily reflect the reality.

Still, I agree it looks funny.

Yes quick reply. So just a cookie problem?

Perhaps. I don't know the code that modifies the page, I just know it doesn't fetch html document from the server, it rather send information about answer to the server and modifies the document in the memory. Note that sometimes you answer will originally appear as the last on the page, but as the first on the next page after refreshing the thread - that's another side effect.

Related to Green Dot: Am I Online or Not?

1. What is the purpose of the Green Dot on my screen?

The Green Dot is a visual indicator that lets you know whether or not you are currently online. It is commonly used in messaging and social media apps to show that you are actively connected to the internet.

2. How does the Green Dot know if I am online or not?

The Green Dot is controlled by the app or website you are using. When you open the app or website, it sends a signal to the server to let it know that you are online. The server then communicates with the Green Dot to indicate that you are active.

3. Can I turn off the Green Dot?

In most cases, the Green Dot cannot be turned off as it is controlled by the app or website. However, some apps may have settings that allow you to hide or disable the Green Dot. If you are concerned about privacy, it is best to check the app's privacy settings.

4. Does the Green Dot mean that I am always visible to others?

No, the Green Dot only indicates that you are currently online. It does not necessarily mean that others can see your activity or that you are actively using the app or website. Some apps may have features that allow you to control your visibility to others.

5. Are there other indicators besides the Green Dot that show if I am online?

Yes, there are other indicators such as a status message or a profile picture. These indicators may vary depending on the app or website you are using. It is best to check the app's settings or help section for more information.