Avoiding lists in the editor? The shortcut for CTRL-ENTER?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, the editor puts a dot in front of everything you type after pressing enter, but there is a shortcut to get out of it.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
In writing https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/video-formats-and-720p.990592/#post-6358155, I pasted some text from an amazon page into the forum's "post thread" message editor and got a list where each item is preceeded by a dot. After that, the editor wanted to put a dot in front of everything I typed after pressing ENTER.

Guessing how to get out of this problem, I held down CTRL and pressed ENTER. To my surprise, this caused my uncompleted message to be posted. Where is this shortcut implemented? In my browser or by the forum software?

By editing the post to complete it, I was able to able to type text after the list without getting any dots.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem with the list only happens if the list is the last thing in the editor, not even a blank line afterwards. You don't seem to be able to place the cursor "after" the list. If you are having formatting problems, clicking the cogwheel at the right hand end of the toolbar switches to plain-text-with-markup mode, which let's you place your cursor outside the offending markup. Click the cog again to switch back.

I don't know about ctrl-enter. I'll try it now and see if it posts from Firefox - if I don't edit this, it works in Firefox.

Likes Stephen Tashi
Another way to escape lists in the editor: when you hit enter while on the last line of a list, it creates a new, blank bulleted line. If you hit enter again, it should end the list and put the cursor at the beginning of a non-bulleted blank line.

Likes jack action
Extending @Ygggdrasil's approach, selecting the relevant list mode also seems to work. So if you create a blank bullet after your list and then repeatedly click "unordered list" it toggles the bullet on/off for that line.

• Informative
Likes jack action

Related to Avoiding lists in the editor? The shortcut for CTRL-ENTER?

1. What are some tips for avoiding lists in the editor?

One tip is to use headings and subheadings to break up your content instead of using lists. You can also use paragraphs to group related information together.

2. How can I make my writing more concise and avoid using lists?

Try to use descriptive language and avoid using unnecessary words. You can also use bullet points or numbered lists instead of traditional lists to make your writing more concise.

3. What is the shortcut for CTRL-ENTER in the editor?

The shortcut for CTRL-ENTER is used to quickly insert a line break in the editor. This can be useful when you want to start a new line without creating a new paragraph.

4. How can I improve the readability of my content without using lists?

Using headings, subheadings, and paragraphs can greatly improve the readability of your content. You can also use bold or italicized text to emphasize important points.

5. Are there any alternatives to using lists in the editor?

Yes, there are several alternatives to using lists in the editor. You can use tables, images, or infographics to present information in a more visually appealing way. You can also use headings and paragraphs to organize your content.