Gravitation & Electromagnetic Forces: Interdependence?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Gravitation and Electromagnetic forces and whether one could exist without the other. It is argued that Gravitation would still exist without Electromagnetic forces, but Electromagnetic forces are responsible for the existence of atoms, which make up mass, which in turn causes Gravitation. However, there is some debate over whether Electromagnetic forces are the cause of gravity. The conversation also mentions a personal project involving rare Earth magnets and a quartz crystal in an attempt to create a perpetual wheel, but there are difficulties with friction. The individual is seeking ideas for a better bearing to hold the device up and allow it to spin.
AnishG
Gravitation and Electromagnetic forces are independent, correct? That implies.. Gravitation would exist even if Electromagnetic forces didn't. But, electromagnetic forces are responsible for existence of atoms.. and atoms are what make up the mass, no? And Gravitation exists because of Mass.
So, I don't think Gravitation would exist if there was no Electromagnetic force, would it?

Physics news on Phys.org
gravity still exists between chargeless particles though.

you forgot neutrons!

There are some who say electromagnetic forces are the cause of gravity.

http://www.blazelabs.com/f-g-dist.asp

In that case, no they couldn't.

Me personally, I can't get over the thought of gravity, a force, acting over incredible distance without a medium or field to propagate the force. That's why I have a lot of doubts about two forces "pulling" at each other.

I have been working with gravity and electromagnetic force for year.
I tried to build a perpetual wheel out of rare Earth magnets and a huge quartz crystal out of the virginia city, nevada gold mines.

I have been somewhat successful in getting the magnet wheel wrapped around the huge crystal to resonate/vibrate and spin up for days before dying back down to stop.

I have yet to find a good efficient small bearing to hold the device up to the ceiling to let it spin up and run.

I think I have a friction problem that is stopping my project from spinning up!

I have tried a fishing swivel and a bearing out of a computer hard drive, but still no good.

Any ideas?

Dick Baublitz xpi
blitz@pyramid.net
Radio KI7YF

Related to Gravitation & Electromagnetic Forces: Interdependence?

1. What is the relationship between gravity and electromagnetic forces?

Gravity and electromagnetic forces are both fundamental forces of nature that govern the behavior of matter and energy. While gravity is responsible for the attraction between masses, electromagnetic forces are responsible for the interactions between charged particles. The two forces are interdependent, meaning that they can influence each other and work together to create complex phenomena like planetary orbits and the structure of atoms.

2. How does the strength of gravity compare to the strength of electromagnetic forces?

The strength of gravity is significantly weaker than the strength of electromagnetic forces. In fact, electromagnetic forces are about 10^36 times stronger than gravity. This is because the electromagnetic force is carried by particles called photons, which have no mass and can travel at the speed of light. Gravity, on the other hand, is carried by particles called gravitons, which have no charge and are much less energetic than photons.

3. Can gravity and electromagnetic forces cancel each other out?

No, gravity and electromagnetic forces cannot cancel each other out. This is because they are fundamentally different types of forces that act on different types of particles. However, in some cases, the effects of gravity and electromagnetic forces can balance each other out, resulting in a stable system. For example, the gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun is balanced by the centrifugal force of the Earth's orbit, creating a stable orbit.

4. How do scientists study the interdependence of gravity and electromagnetic forces?

Scientists study the interdependence of gravity and electromagnetic forces through experiments and observations. For example, they can observe the effects of gravity and electromagnetic forces on celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, and use mathematical models to understand the relationship between the two forces. They can also conduct experiments in particle accelerators to study the behavior of particles under the influence of both forces.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the interdependence of gravity and electromagnetic forces?

Yes, there are many practical applications of understanding the interdependence of gravity and electromagnetic forces. For example, our understanding of these forces has allowed us to develop technologies such as satellites, which rely on the balance between gravity and electromagnetic forces to orbit the Earth. Additionally, our understanding of these forces has led to advancements in fields such as astronomy, particle physics, and engineering.