Hubble Constant: Force Acting on Hydrogen Atom Due to Expansion of Universe

In summary, the question discusses the possibility of expressing the force of the expansion of the universe on a hydrogen atom through the Hubble constant. However, this is difficult to solve and may require considering a scenario with only two particles without electromagnetic interaction. Ultimately, the expansion of the universe does not truly exert a force in the traditional sense.
Dogya
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: Express through the Hubble constant the force that acts on the hydrogen atom due to the expansion of the universe

We have a hydrogen atom, in a gravitationally bound system nothing interesting happens to it. Let's put it in an empty world with only an electron and a proton. There are several forces acting on it: gravitational forces, electromagnetic forces, and since we only have two bodies, the expansion of the universe should work. The question is how to express through the Hubble constant and calculate the force of this expansion.
As pointed out to me, to solve this problem, we need to consider the case where we have two particles without electromagnetic interaction, such as 2 neutrons.
As I understood the solution has to be sought from Friedman equations.
This is difficult for me as I am only in my 2nd year of university.

Physics news on Phys.org
In an empty universe there is no expansion, and even in spacetimes where there is expansion it isn't a force anyway.

Is there some context to this question? It doesn't seem like a coherent scenario to me.

Ibix said:
In an empty universe there is no expansion, and even in spacetimes where there is expansion it isn't a force anyway.

Is there some context to this question? It doesn't seem like a coherent scenario to me.
I meant that apart from the proton and the electron there is nothing else around that affects them in any meaningful way. So there will be expansion. And force, in its usual sense, really does not exist, but as we know the expansion of the universe happens with acceleration and so we can translate it into "newtons", getting the force

So you've got an FLRW universe everywhere filled with uniform density neutral matter and a non-zero cosmological constant, plus one electron and one proton?

The answer is still zero. The only sensible way to measure the acceleration of either particle is to measure its proper acceleration, and this will depend on the EM field at its location and nothing else (ignoring drag from the medium). The value of the EM field will depend on the cosmological constant, although the effect will be utterly negligible. I don't think there's a meaningful way to break the EM field down into "what it would be without the cosmological constant" and "the extra bit", though.
Dogya said:
the expansion of the universe happens with acceleration
Not in the sense you seem to mean. The acceleration isn't the second derivative of position as needed for Newton's laws.

1. What is the Hubble Constant?

The Hubble Constant is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is denoted by the symbol H0 and has units of kilometers per second per megaparsec (km/s/Mpc).

2. How is the Hubble Constant related to the expansion of the universe?

The Hubble Constant is directly related to the expansion of the universe. It is used to calculate the speed at which galaxies are moving away from each other due to the expansion of space.

3. What is the force acting on a hydrogen atom due to the expansion of the universe?

The force acting on a hydrogen atom due to the expansion of the universe is known as the Hubble Force. It is a very small force that is caused by the stretching of space and is only significant on very large scales.

4. How does the Hubble Constant impact our understanding of the universe?

The Hubble Constant is an important factor in understanding the age, size, and future of the universe. It allows scientists to estimate the age of the universe and determine the rate at which it is expanding.

5. Has the value of the Hubble Constant changed over time?

Yes, the value of the Hubble Constant has changed over time as our understanding of the universe has evolved. Different methods of measurement have led to different values, and ongoing research is being done to improve our understanding of this fundamental constant.