Graph Theory Problem: Proving Dual Graph Faces Contain 1 Vertex

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a dual graph and attempts to prove that if a graph is connected, then each face of its dual graph contains exactly one vertex of the original graph. It also explores the idea of adding vertices and preserving connectedness, and the construction of the dual graph.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_graph
I am trying to show that if a graph G is connected, then each face of its dual graph G* contains exactly one vertex of G.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried counting the vertices in G and the faces in G*. I drew enough counterexample to see that if G has two components, then one face contains two vertices of G. My mind just gets tangled when I try to visualize this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you proven symmetry (G* is the dual of G <==> G is the dual of G*)? The solution would follow from symmetry.

No, (G*)*=G is the next part of this exercise.

A dual graph of a given planar graph G:
1. has a vertex for each plane region of G, and
2. an edge for each edge joining two neighboring regions.

Suppose G* satisfies 1 and 2, but some face of G*:
a. contains no vertex of G, or
b. contains k > 1 vertices of G.

Can you show a contradiction in either case (because G is connected)?

Last edited:
a)
let f be a face of G* that contains no vertex of G
let uv be an edge on the boundary of G*
u and v are faces in G whose boundaries share an edge e in G
I want to say that one endpoint of e must lie in f, but I just cannot figure out how to say that mathematically.

Wait. Vertex u is contained in a face f_1 of G and vertex v is contained in a face f_2 of G and e is an edge on the boundary of each of these faces. Somehow, e must go from f_1 to f_2. Therefore, e must cross some edge e_1 on the boundary of both f_1 and f_2.

Let \alpha be a bijection that maps edges in G to edges in G* s.t. if e in G is on the boundary of f_1 and f_2, then \alpha(e) connects the vertices f_1 and f_2 in G*.

\alpha(e_1) connects u and v in G*

Hmm. I thought this would be easy. I'll work on this more later.

Last edited:
a)

Let \alpha be a bijection that maps edges in G to edges in G* s.t if e is on the boundary of f_1 and f_2, then \alpha(e) connects the vertices f_1 and f_2 in G*.

Let f be a face of G* that contains no vertex of G. Let f_1 f_2 be an edge on the boundary of G*. By the definition of a dual graph, f_1 and f_2 represent faces of G that that share a boundary edge in G. Now the edge f_1 f_2 MUST cross an edge of G on the boundary between the faces of f_1 and f_2. Call this edge e.

Gosh. This proof is KILLING ME. Please help!

anyone care to guide me?

I did not study graph theory, so I have this question: is the following graph connected?

X---------------X

How about this:

X-----X-------X ?

What is the dual in each case?

They are both connected. The first one is the same as its dual. The dual of the second one is just two vertices with 2 edges between them.

ehrenfest said:
The dual of the second one is just two vertices with 2 edges between them.
How many faces does the second one have? One, or more?

The second one has one (infinite) face.

The dual of the second one has two (one infinite and one finite) faces.

EDIT: The second sentence is wrong.

Last edited:
Doesn't this contradict what you are asked to prove? You've found a connected graph with 3 vertices "X", whose dual has 2 vertices "*" with 2 edges "(" and ")" -- see below:

(X)----------X-----------X
One face of the dual graph contains two of the original vertices.

ehrenfest said:
They are both connected. The first one is the same as its dual. The dual of the second one is just two vertices with 2 edges between them.

This is incorrect. The dual of the second one is one vertex with two loops. It thus has three faces.

I see. Let's walk through how the dual is constructed:
1. put a vertex * on each original face
2. wrap edges around each original vertex X (this somehow gives you the exact number of edges as the original)
[3. add another vertex onto an original face.]

You need to prove that step [3] is superfluous/unnecessary, correct?

Step 1 is right. I am not sure what you mean in step 2 by "wrapping edges around each original vertex". See wikipedia for the definition and some examples:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_graph

Another question

Suppose I have X----X

I want to add another vertex and preserve connectedness. What dictates how many edges that the extended graph will have?

I know I can preserve connectedness with 1 more edge, as in X----X-----X, but is there anything that says I cannot add two new edges: X----X===X ?

In the latter case, what is the dual?

Connectedness only means that there is some path between every pair vertices. So yes, if you have a connected graph, you can add edges between two vertices and preserve connectedness.

Its really hard to draw graphs like this. What is shown below is not what I typed in because html is messing up the spacing. Hit the quote button to see the graph that I meant to draw.X------X-------X
2 | 1 |
----------

I reproduced the graph that you drew and put in ONLY THE VERTICES, 1 and 2, of the dual. Vertex 1 is connected to vertex 2 with 2 edges, and vertex 2 is connected to itself with a loop.

ehrenfest said:
Connectedness only means that there is some path between every pair vertices. So yes, if you have a connected graph, you can add edges between two vertices and preserve connectedness.

Its really hard to draw graphs like this. What is shown below is not what I typed in because html is messing up the spacing. Hit the quote button to see the graph that I meant to draw.

X------X-------X
2 | 1 |
----------

I reproduced the graph that you drew and put in ONLY THE VERTICES, 1 and 2, of the dual. Vertex 1 is connected to vertex 2 with 2 edges, and vertex 2 is connected to itself with a loop.
I think I have an inelegant proof by induction.

Suppose the original connected graph has V vertices, E edges and F faces. Suppose the statement is true for graph G(V, E, F). This has dual G*(F, E, V) [which is also connected].

Now add a new vertex and e new edges, which create f new faces. Suppose G(V+1, E+e, F+f) is also connected.

"Clearly," f < e. I will assume f = e - 1, but this needs to be proved. Given the narrow graph G(V, E, F) is connected, e - 1 of the new edges encircle (form) the f new faces.

By def., the dual of the extended graph has F+f vertices and E+e edges; it needs to be shown that it has V+1 faces and we're done.

The narrow dual had V faces. In the extended dual, use e - 1 edges to connect the f new vertices to each other, and use the eth new edge to construct one new face, which means the extended dual has V+1 faces.

Related to Graph Theory Problem: Proving Dual Graph Faces Contain 1 Vertex

1. What is a dual graph in graph theory?

A dual graph in graph theory is a mathematical representation of a graph where each vertex corresponds to a face of the original graph, and each edge corresponds to the shared boundary between two faces. It is a useful tool for studying the properties of a graph and can provide insights into its structure.

2. Why is it important to prove that dual graph faces contain 1 vertex?

Proving that dual graph faces contain 1 vertex is important because it helps us understand the relationship between a graph and its dual graph. It also allows us to make conclusions about the properties of the graph by studying the properties of its dual graph.

3. How do you prove that dual graph faces contain 1 vertex?

To prove that dual graph faces contain 1 vertex, we can use the Euler's formula for planar graphs: V - E + F = 2, where V is the number of vertices, E is the number of edges, and F is the number of faces. Since each face in the dual graph corresponds to a vertex in the original graph, we can substitute F = V in the formula, which gives us V - E + V = 2. Simplifying this equation, we get E = 3V - 6. Since the number of edges is always even, this equation can only hold true if each face in the dual graph contains exactly 1 vertex.

4. Can a dual graph face contain more than 1 vertex?

No, a dual graph face can only contain 1 vertex. This is because the dual graph is a planar graph, and by definition, planar graphs have the property that each face is bounded by a cycle of edges, and each edge is incident to exactly 2 vertices. Therefore, there can only be one vertex associated with each face in the dual graph.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that dual graph faces contain 1 vertex?

No, there are no exceptions to this rule. It is a fundamental property of dual graphs that each face contains exactly 1 vertex. This can be proven mathematically using the Euler's formula for planar graphs, as explained in the answer to question 3.