Graph Theory and Bipartite graphs

In summary, complete bipartite graphs are conjectured to be graceful due to the even degree of their vertices, but it is not always possible to modify a graceful, bipartite graph to produce a graceful, non-bipartite graph with the same number of edges and one fewer vertices.
greg.spellman
I have a problem involving graph theory. This is not a graph theory course though so I do not know much about it.

If we have complete bipartite graphs consider whethere or not they are graceful.

A graph is graceful provided the vertices of the graph can be assigned v distinct integers from 0 to e in such a way that each integer from 1 to e arises as the absolute value of the difference of the numbers assigned to adjacent vertices.

I think I have read somewhere that a bipartite graph has an odd graceful labeling. I am not sure what this means or if this is even correct.
But i need a make some kind of conjecture about complete bipartite graphs and whether or not they are graceful.

Also another question would be given a graceful, bipartite graph it is sometimes possible to modify the grapg so as to produce a graceful, nonbipartite graph with the same number of edges and one fewer vertices, when and how?

Does anoyone have ideas about this questions?

Physics news on Phys.org
My conjecture is that complete bipartite graphs are graceful. This is because all vertices in a bipartite graph have an even degree, and according to the definition of a graceful graph, each absolute difference between adjacent vertices must be an integer between 1 and e (where e is the number of edges). Since the degree of each vertex in a complete bipartite graph is even, it is possible to assign labels to the vertices such that each absolute difference between adjacent vertices is an integer from 1 to e, thus fulfilling the criteria for a graceful graph. Regarding the second question, it is not always possible to modify a graceful, bipartite graph so as to produce a graceful, non-bipartite graph with the same number of edges and one fewer vertices. This is because certain combinations of labels may not be possible when attempting to reduce the number of vertices. For example, if there is a vertex with label 3 adjacent to a vertex with label 5, it may not be possible to reduce the number of vertices while still fulfilling the criteria for a graceful graph, as the absolute difference between the adjacent vertices must still be 2.

Related to Graph Theory and Bipartite graphs

1. What is Graph Theory?

Graph Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of graphs, which are mathematical structures used to model pairwise relations between objects.

2. What is a Bipartite Graph?

A Bipartite Graph is a type of graph where the vertices can be divided into two disjoint sets such that each edge connects a vertex from one set to a vertex from the other set.

3. How is a Bipartite Graph represented?

A Bipartite Graph can be represented using an adjacency matrix or an adjacency list, just like any other graph. The only difference is that in a Bipartite Graph, the vertices are grouped into two separate sets.

4. What are the applications of Bipartite Graphs?

Bipartite Graphs have many real-world applications, such as modeling relationships between two different sets of objects, representing interactions between different types of individuals, and optimizing job scheduling and assignment problems.

5. How can we determine if a graph is Bipartite?

There are several algorithms that can be used to determine if a graph is Bipartite, such as the Breadth-First Search algorithm and the Depth-First Search algorithm. If the graph can be colored using only two colors without any adjacent vertices having the same color, then it is a Bipartite Graph.