Graduate space physics programs

In summary, the individual was searching for information on reputations and rankings of graduate programs in space physics, specifically in the areas of solar wind and magnetosphere. They found a list of programs, but were unsure of their quality and asked for personal experiences or recommendations. Another suggestion was to broaden the search to include astrophysics and solar physics as well as cosmology.
andymars
Hi everyone. I was trying to look around at different grad programs for space physics (solar wind, magnetosphere, etc, not that electric universe garbage), and couldn't find a whole lot of good info on reputations or rankings or anything like that. I found a list here: http://www.gradschoolshopper.com/gr...schoolname=&subject=5&submit.x=84&submit.y=12 but many of the programs are either not what I'm looking for or seem like they may not be very active. Of the ones I glanced at, it looked like Iowa, CU-Boulder, and San Diego had very good programs. Has anyone here had any more personal experience with space physics? Is there somewhere else I should definitely be looking at that I didn't mention? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No personal experience myself - neither with space physics nor with the US education system. But you could try to extend your search by the term "astrophysics". Not all astrophysics is about the early universe or astro-particle physics, despite media coverage giving this impression. '"Solar physics" may also be worth giving it a try.

You could also try cosmology

Related to Graduate space physics programs

1. What is the application process for graduate space physics programs?

The application process for graduate space physics programs typically involves submitting transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and GRE scores. Some programs may also require a research proposal or writing samples. It is important to carefully follow the instructions provided by each program and to submit all materials by the stated deadline.

2. What are the typical requirements for admission into a graduate space physics program?

Most graduate space physics programs require a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics, astronomy, or engineering. A strong background in math and physics is also important. Some programs may have additional requirements, such as a minimum GPA or specific coursework in certain subjects.

3. What research opportunities are available in graduate space physics programs?

Many graduate space physics programs offer opportunities for students to engage in research projects with faculty members. These projects may involve data analysis, computer simulations, or experimental work. Some programs may also offer opportunities for students to participate in national or international research collaborations.

4. What career options are available for graduates of space physics programs?

Graduates of space physics programs can pursue a variety of career paths, including research positions in universities or government agencies, teaching positions, or careers in the private sector. Some may also go on to pursue further education, such as a PhD, in order to specialize in a particular area of space physics.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a graduate space physics program?

The length of time it takes to complete a graduate space physics program can vary depending on the specific program and the student's course load. On average, it takes about 2-3 years to complete a master's degree and 4-5 years to complete a PhD. Some programs may offer an accelerated track for students who already have a strong background in the subject matter.