Thoughts on Caltechs Applied Physics Graduate Program

In summary, the conversation discusses the Applied Physics program at Caltech and how it differs from the Pure Physics PhD program. The individual speaking was admitted to the Applied Physics program and is seeking information from others with experience in the program. The website for the program is provided as well. There is also a brief discussion about the individual's application process and why they were recommended for the Applied Physics program instead of the Pure Physics program.
vancouver_water
Why is it paired with materials science? I have not been able to find too much about it online apart from their own stuff. How different is it from their pure physics PhD program? It seems that they have a lot of required courses, although you do not need to take them if you have a sufficiently strong background.

I was admitted to their graduate program and am looking to talk to people who have some experience with this specific program.

The website: http://aph.caltech.edu/academics/grad/aph

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you clarify your scenario? Did you apply for the program without knowing what it's about? (If so, why?) Or did you apply for the regular physics program, were not offered admission there, but instead were offered admission to the applied physics program?

I applied to the pure physics program (never heard of the applied physics program until I got an email saying I was accepted to it). My statement of purpose was focused on applications of physics to nanophotonics and quantum information so I guess I can see why they recommended me for applied physics rather than physics.

Related to Thoughts on Caltechs Applied Physics Graduate Program

1. What makes Caltech's Applied Physics Graduate Program stand out from other programs?

Caltech's Applied Physics Graduate Program is known for its rigorous curriculum and hands-on research opportunities. The program also boasts a low student-to-faculty ratio, allowing for personalized attention and mentorship from renowned faculty members.

2. What are the research areas of focus within the Applied Physics Graduate Program at Caltech?

The program offers research opportunities in a wide range of areas, including condensed matter physics, quantum information science, biophysics, materials science, and optics. Students can also collaborate with other departments and research centers within Caltech.

3. What is the application process like for the Applied Physics Graduate Program at Caltech?

The application process for the program is highly competitive. Applicants are required to submit transcripts, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. The program also encourages applicants to have research experience and a strong background in physics and mathematics.

4. How does the program support its graduate students?

Caltech's Applied Physics Graduate Program offers a variety of resources to support its students, including financial aid, housing options, and career development services. The program also has a close-knit community, providing opportunities for networking and collaboration.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of the Applied Physics Graduate Program at Caltech?

Graduates of the program have a wide range of career options, including positions in academia, industry, and government. Many graduates also go on to pursue postdoctoral positions or start their own research labs. The program's strong reputation and connections also open up opportunities for networking and job placement.