Graduate school engineering admissions

In summary, the speaker is a third-year EECS major at a reputable public university, considering applying to doctoral programs in EECS. They have completed 4 coop work terms and 2 research summer opportunities, and have a GPA of 3.9. They previously studied probability and statistics at a lower ranked school, with a GPA of 3.2. The speaker worries about how this may affect their admissions to top schools and wonders if it would be better to apply for an MS program first before pursuing a PhD. They are interested in research topics that combine EE and applied physics, despite having a background in electronics, software systems, and signal processing. They also question the importance of industry work experience in admissions for both MS and PhD programs
prettymidget
I am finishing up my third year as an EECS major of a five year program at a highly reputable public university and I am strongly considering applying to doctoral programs in EECS (I figure I can leave with a terminal masters should I discover research at that level is not my cup of T). By graduation I will have completed 4 coop work terms and I have already finished 2 research summer opportunities. With tremendous effort I attained a gpa of ~3.9 over the last three years. However, before switching to EECS I was a probability and statistics major for a few years at a lower ranked school. At the time I was young(er), more foolish, more lost, and less concerned about academics. While I didn't do badly my GPA was about a 3.2. I think my strong GPA in the actual field I am striving for higher education in should dissuade any admissions committee of the notion that I am not capable or sufficiently motivated for graduate study but I can't help but feel uneasy (read: depressed) about having that blemish on my application. How will admissions at top/high ranked schools view this case? Would it be more prudent to perhaps apply for M.S. programs and go for a Ph.D from there?

Also - the areas of research that interest me the most are the the topics that straddle the lines between EE and applied physics such as photonics, semiconductor physics, etc. My background is more in electronics/software systems/signal processing type stuff. Is it difficult to switch over if I am accepted?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also I'm curious as to how much industry work experience matters in admissions for MS only and PhD programs, respectively.

Related to Graduate school engineering admissions

1. What are the requirements for admission into a graduate school engineering program?

The specific requirements for admission into a graduate school engineering program may vary from school to school, but typically, applicants must have a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, a competitive GPA, letters of recommendation, and a strong GRE score. Some programs may also require a personal statement or resume.

2. Is work experience necessary for admission into a graduate school engineering program?

Work experience is not always necessary for admission into a graduate school engineering program, but it can be beneficial. Some programs may require or prefer applicants to have relevant work experience, while others may place more emphasis on academic achievements and research experience.

3. How important is a high GRE score for admission into a graduate school engineering program?

A high GRE score is often considered an important factor in the admissions process for graduate school engineering programs. However, it is not the only factor that is taken into consideration. Other factors, such as GPA, letters of recommendation, and research experience, may also be weighed heavily.

4. Are there any specific courses or prerequisites that are required for admission into a graduate school engineering program?

The specific courses or prerequisites required for admission into a graduate school engineering program may vary depending on the program and the applicant's undergraduate degree. However, it is common for programs to require courses in math, physics, and other related sciences. Some programs may also have specific prerequisites in engineering courses.

5. Can I apply to multiple graduate school engineering programs at once?

Yes, you can apply to multiple graduate school engineering programs at the same time. However, keep in mind that each program may have different application requirements and deadlines. It is important to carefully research each program and plan accordingly to ensure that all application materials are submitted on time.