Graduate Reference: Getting a Professional Math Ref.

In summary, the speaker has decided to start a M.A. Math program at their university, despite not having plans to teach at a junior college. They want to learn more mathematics and are struggling to find a professional mathematician to provide a recommendation for their application. The listener suggests sending a letter to their favorite math professor, including a transcript and resume, to make it easier for them to write the recommendation. The listener also suggests following up with an email to supplement the letter.
Shackleford
I've finally decided to start the M.A. Math program at my university. It's designed for those who want to teach math at a junior college, but I have no plans to do except maybe for "retirement" later in life. It's not a science/research degree, but I want to learn more mathematics, primarily the classes I didn't take in undergrad (complex analysis, differential geometry, etc.) For the application, I'm supposed to provide three references including at least one from a professional mathematician. I never developed a familiar relationship with one of my professors to warrant a recommendation. However, I have emailed two professors with no response. The second I might just have to stop by his office if I ever get a chance - I work full-time and it's not really practical. When I took two of his classes, he made it clear that he doesn't check email, but I figured that he would have to for inter-and intra-departmental correspondence. How exactly should I proceed in procuring a professional mathematician's recommendation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well aside from showing up at office hours, have you considered sending an actual letter? That might just get a response.

analogdesign said:
Well aside from showing up at office hours, have you considered sending an actual letter? That might just get a response.

Duh. Why didn't I think of that! Good idea. I suppose that I could send a letter to my favorite math professor. He's one of the respected professors on campus, so a formal letter might be more appropriate for him anyway. Should I include my unofficial transcript and resume?

Shackleford said:
Duh. Why didn't I think of that! Good idea. I suppose that I could send a letter to my favorite math professor. He's one of the respected professors on campus, so a formal letter might be more appropriate for him anyway. Should I include my unofficial transcript and resume?

I think that would be a good idea. You can indicate in the letter than you are including your transcript and resume to refresh his memory.

Good luck!

When asking for a letter of recommendation, make it easy for your letter-writer. Give them a piece of paper that says who you are, what class of yours they took, your grade, your goals for the future, where you are applying to, etc. Don't rely on their memory.

TomServo said:
When asking for a letter of recommendation, make it easy for your letter-writer. Give them a piece of paper that says who you are, what class of yours they took, your grade, your goals for the future, where you are applying to, etc. Don't rely on their memory.

That's an excellent suggestion. Perhaps that information could also be sent in a follow-up email, to supplement the piece of paper (which can easily be misplaced).

Right now, I have printed out a one-page (signed) letter, one-page resume, and a four-page transcript. They'll be in that order in the envelope. Good to go?

The letter and documentation arrived at the university definitely by March 24 (FedEx Express). When should I send a follow up email? I'm not sure how long it takes to get to a particular department and individual at the university.

Related to Graduate Reference: Getting a Professional Math Ref.

1. What is a graduate reference for getting a professional math reference?

A graduate reference is a document that is used to request a letter of recommendation from a professor or academic advisor in the field of mathematics. This letter serves as a reference for graduate school or job applications and highlights the applicant's academic achievements and potential for success in their chosen field.

2. How do I ask for a graduate reference for a professional math reference?

The best way to ask for a graduate reference is to schedule a meeting with your desired reference and discuss your academic goals and why you believe they would be a strong reference for you. It is important to provide them with all necessary information, such as your resume and statement of purpose, to make the process easier for them.

3. Who should I ask for a graduate reference for a professional math reference?

The ideal person to ask for a graduate reference would be a professor or academic advisor who knows you well and can speak to your academic abilities and potential. It is important to choose someone who is familiar with your work and can provide a strong recommendation.

4. How can I make my graduate reference stand out for a professional math reference?

To make your graduate reference stand out, provide your reference with specific examples of your academic achievements and any relevant experiences that showcase your skills and knowledge in the field of mathematics. Additionally, be sure to give your reference enough time to write the letter and provide any necessary information or materials.

5. Is it necessary to follow up with my graduate reference for a professional math reference?

It is not necessary to follow up with your graduate reference, but it is always a good idea to thank them for their time and effort in writing the letter. This can also serve as a reminder for them to submit the letter if they have not already done so. However, be sure to give them enough time to write the letter before following up.