Graduate physics after CS and math

In summary: However, if you're really interested in the field and have a lot of passion, it's possible to self-educate and pass the GRE.Good luck!
NTheorist
Hey guys,
I was wondering if someone here could help me answer some questions, and if not at least give me some advice.
I'm double majoring in CS and Math. I want to pursue graduate degree in the future after I finish my bachelor. The thing is, I have so much love for math and theoretical physics, and I really want to have that graduate degree in theoretical physics, but I don't know if I can since I only took the courses Physics I and Physics II and I don't think I'll be able to pass the GRE for physics with this insufficient knowledge. I'm still in college and I don't know the procedures and requirements for graduate degrees. I'm wondering, are there any graduate programs that would offer undergraduate courses before I take any graduate classes? or do I have to pursue another bachelor in order to get into grad school for that matter?
Also, I self-learned a lot of stuff in math and programming, would you say that it would be possible for me to self-learn physics to pass the GRE?
Finally, if I decided to take grad school in mathematics, would it be possible to find a job where I could work on physics theories such as String Theory or GR etc?

thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should start by looking at Can I get a Ph.D. in physics if my bachelor's degree isn't in physics, at the very top of this page.

The short answer is that it's rare to be admitted to a grad school without the appropriate background, rarer still to be given the time to catch up on more than a course or two, and even rarer still for the school to pay for this extra time. If you want a grad program in physics, you should complete an undergrad program in physics.

NTheorist said:
I don't know if I can since I only took the courses Physics I and Physics II and I don't think I'll be able to pass the GRE for physics with this insufficient knowledge. I'm still in college...

Check with your institution and see what additional courses you need for a physics degree. Take some of those as electives and/or see if they are offered in a summer [short] semester. You'll build up your physics credentials and most importantly find out if you REALLY like the more advanced/intense physics.

Thanks guys, I'll see if I can take more physics classes.
Although I'm wondering about something, I've often heard of mathematicians who work on Quantum Physics and some also work on String theory, is it possible if I became a mathematician to get involved in these fields? I know that these people probably don't have deep knowledge of the subject, but they probably do contribute to it.

I've read, but have no personal knowledge if it is true, that European physicists generally take more math and perhaps less specific physics than do their American counterparts. If no one confirms or debunks that here, perhaps you can check out a curriculum or two in another country.

Try checking out Roger Penrose THE ROAD TO REALITY if interested. The math and physics there is expansive and impressive...I could the math details only for about the first 100 pages or so and stuck with concepts and explanations later. In the last ten or fifteen pages Penrose discusses the deep connections between the physical world and mathematics which might inspire you one way or another.

You can apply to schools under applied math or maybe mathematical physics and join a research group that is working on something that interests you (e.g. some topic in physics).

It will be harder getting into a physics program since you haven't taken the core that most grad programs expect.

Related to Graduate physics after CS and math

1. What is the benefit of pursuing graduate physics after studying computer science and math?

Studying computer science and math provides a strong foundation in problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills. These skills are highly valued in the field of physics, making it a beneficial combination for graduate studies. Additionally, the interdisciplinary knowledge gained from studying multiple fields can open up opportunities for research and career paths in emerging fields such as computational physics and data science.

2. Can I pursue graduate physics after completing a degree in computer science or math?

Yes, it is possible to pursue graduate physics after completing a degree in computer science or math. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in physics, which can be gained through taking relevant courses or completing a minor in physics during undergraduate studies.

3. How does studying computer science and math prepare me for graduate physics courses?

Studying computer science and math provides a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and programming skills, which are essential for advanced physics courses. Many physics problems require mathematical modeling and computation, and having a background in computer science and math can help students excel in these areas.

4. Are there any specific areas of physics that are particularly suited for students with a background in computer science and math?

Yes, there are many areas of physics that require strong computational and mathematical skills, such as computational physics, astrophysics, and quantum computing. These fields are rapidly growing and offer exciting opportunities for students with interdisciplinary backgrounds.

5. What are some potential career paths for students with a graduate degree in physics and a background in computer science and math?

Graduate physics students with a background in computer science and math can pursue various career paths, including research and development in areas such as data science, artificial intelligence, and quantum computing. They can also work in industries such as technology, finance, and defense, where their skills in problem-solving and data analysis are highly valued.