Graduate Admission: Will they understand emergency?

In summary, if someone screw up in their grades in the first term/year in university, they will still get a good recommendation from the teacher.
Moses
Hi,
In short: If some one screw up in his grades in the first term/year in Uni, [for emergency reasons] then he/she shows an excellent results later. With a good teachers recommendations. Is that "screw up" will be almost forgetton, even though its effect will still in the GPA? [Take into considersation IVy's universities]

The question may sound a bit strange since it is presented with somehow an emotional/steem factor in saying the question. But the answer needed is realistic, and helps in maknig good mature desiscions :smile: Thx for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope so. I got lazy(yes I know its not an emergency, but if they ask it will be lol) last semester and got a D in a class, this semester I am pulling all A's though. Hopefully they will overlook that D once I retake the class and get an A. :smile:

I've talked with a dean at Princeton about admissions into grad school and he said that all they care about for marks is to see that you've taken a rigorous course load and have done well. A few bad grades here and there aren't a big deal. That counts for relatively little though. Almost all of the meat behind your application is in your reference letters and your statement of interest (entrance essay basically). But yeah, it's references, references, references.

Short answer: don't worry about it.

silverpig said:
I've talked with a dean at Princeton about admissions into grad school and he said that all they care about for marks is to see that you've taken a rigorous course load and have done well. A few bad grades here and there aren't a big deal. That counts for relatively little though. Almost all of the meat behind your application is in your reference letters and your statement of interest (entrance essay basically). But yeah, it's references, references, references.

Short answer: don't worry about it.

This is good to hear about princeton, its my school of choice, and I'm glad to hear that. Of course i still have to well, but that one round of midterms sending me to a B average this quarter won't kill me,which is good.

Over here, they don't really mind about occasional bad marks on an individual level, but the good universities are all audited by the professional institutions in order to ensure that the university is maintaining the standards required by industry. So it's more an average of everyone in the year's marks, rather than individuals.

^^^
brewnog, thanks for help, but can you please re-say waht you have said in other waay, I want myself to amek sure that i understand exactly waht you meant, thx.

Related to Graduate Admission: Will they understand emergency?

1. What is considered an emergency for graduate admission?

An emergency for graduate admission can vary depending on the situation, but it typically refers to unexpected circumstances that may have affected your academic performance or ability to complete your application on time. Examples of emergencies may include a serious illness or injury, a family emergency, or a natural disaster.

2. How do I inform the admissions committee about an emergency?

If you have experienced an emergency that you believe may have affected your graduate admission application, it is important to inform the admissions committee as soon as possible. You can typically do this by sending an email or letter explaining the situation and providing any relevant documentation, such as a doctor's note or a letter from a family member or employer.

3. Will the admissions committee take my emergency into consideration?

The admissions committee understands that emergencies can happen and they will typically take them into consideration when reviewing your application. However, it is important to provide as much information and documentation as possible to support your request for consideration.

4. Can I request an extension for my application due to an emergency?

If you have experienced an emergency that has affected your ability to complete your application on time, you can request an extension from the admissions committee. They will review your request and may grant an extension if they deem it appropriate.

5. How can I ensure that the admissions committee understands the impact of my emergency?

In order to ensure that the admissions committee understands the impact of your emergency, it is important to provide clear and detailed information in your communication with them. This may include explaining how the emergency affected your academic performance or providing documentation to support your request for consideration. It may also be helpful to reach out to the admissions office directly to discuss your situation and any potential accommodations that may be available.