Grad school quality person - Chemistry

In summary: for those of us who specialize in organic chemistry, equilibrium constants and dissociation constants are essential.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
One of the most difficult topics several years ago was weak acid and weak base equilibria and associated mathematical determinations about them in quantitative chemistry. Our class spent a month and a half just studying equilibria of weak acids and weak bases and their buffers, pH's, titration curves, and all their calculations. This was so difficult that I could not master it. Since graduating, I restudied that stuff a few times and it became much more learnable. Still I have not mastered it.

I wonder; if I could not master equilibria of weak acids and weak bases, does this mean that I would not be graduate school quality for studying Chemistry? Or is this relatively unimportant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the GRE in chemistry and find out...

I'm going to graduate school for chemistry without ever taking a chemistry class (physics/math major)...but I did an REU at that university in the the chem dept.

Probably not typical, but it's possible. Probably going to be doing theoretical chemistry/physical chem, fwiw

You should definitely know the concepts of acid base chemistry if you want to go to grad school. As for dissociation constants, equilibrium constants, etc. I know plenty of Organic Phds who don't remember any of that stuff. It all depends on what field you want to specialize in. In my 4 years of industry, I have yet to see 1 phd organic chemist actually care about equilibrium constants etc. beyond lechatlier's principle.

Acid/Base equilibrium is basic analytical chemistry and very important in the lab, you might want to master it. Its very intuitive and requires very basic algebra.

gravenewworld said:
You should definitely know the concepts of acid base chemistry if you want to go to grad school. As for dissociation constants, equilibrium constants, etc. I know plenty of Organic Phds who don't remember any of that stuff. It all depends on what field you want to specialize in. In my 4 years of industry, I have yet to see 1 phd organic chemist actually care about equilibrium constants etc. beyond lechatlier's principle.

I second that...

Related to Grad school quality person - Chemistry

1. What makes a graduate program in chemistry considered "high quality"?

A high quality graduate program in chemistry typically has a strong reputation and ranking within the scientific community. It also has a well-established curriculum, experienced and renowned faculty, state-of-the-art research facilities, and opportunities for students to present their work at conferences and publish in reputable journals.

2. How do I know if a graduate program in chemistry is a good fit for me?

To determine if a graduate program in chemistry is a good fit for you, it is important to research the faculty, their research interests, and the overall curriculum. You should also consider the location, funding opportunities, and the culture of the program. It may also be helpful to talk to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of their experiences.

3. What are the job prospects for graduates of a chemistry graduate program?

The job prospects for graduates of a chemistry graduate program are generally very good. Many graduates go on to work in research and development positions in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and materials science. Others may pursue careers in academia, government agencies, or science policy. With a strong background in chemistry, graduates are also highly sought after in fields such as data science and consulting.

4. Are there any specific skills or experiences that can make a graduate program in chemistry more competitive?

In addition to a strong academic record, research experience, and a passion for chemistry, there are a few specific skills and experiences that can make a graduate program in chemistry more competitive. These may include proficiency in a second language, experience with advanced analytical techniques, and a demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative and interdisciplinary research environment.

5. How important is funding for a graduate program in chemistry?

Funding is crucial for a successful graduate program in chemistry. It allows students to focus on their research and studies without having to worry about financial burdens. Many programs offer funding through research or teaching assistantships, fellowships, or scholarships. It is important to carefully consider the funding opportunities available when choosing a graduate program in chemistry.