Grad School Application: Assessing My Chances

In summary, I am applying for grad school in the fall and I need some opinions about my chances, where I should good, etc.
godzillabill
I'm applying for grad school in the fall and I need some opinions about my chances, where I should good, etc.

I am majoring in math, with a minor in physics. I went to a community college then a UC. At my community college, I had a 4.0 major GPA, 3.8 overall GPA. At the UC I'm at now, I have a 3.67 overall GPA. A 3.77 math GPA and a 3.86 physics GPA. I have taken three graduate classes (full series of real analysis). I am writing an honors thesis with a professor overviewing statistical mechanics/probability. This paper should be published soon. No other research experience though. I have experience tutoring and I have been a grader for a little over a year. I haven't taken the GRE (taking this over the summer).

I am interested in mathematical physics, in particular stochastic dynamics.

I'm not looking to get into a "top tier" school. I just want a decent, funded program. What options are available for me? I think I have a fairly strong GPA. A 3.77 is pretty decent I feel like, especially because of the As in community college (balancing things out gives a 3.87 or so). I feel like I don't have as much research as I'm sure they'd want. But to be fair, I went to a community college for 2 years which has less opportunities. And I am doing some research with a professor.

As for letter of recs, I can count on my advisor who really, really likes me. He would write me a glowing letter. He's not a big name or anything, but he IS a professor who I've worked with a lot. I took a class with him (got an A+, like top 5 in the class). I'm writing a paper with him, and I'm actually grading for him as well. I know a few other teachers that really like me, say hi to me more than a year after having a class with them.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't even want a top school. To be honest, it sounds super stressful to go to like Harvard or MIT or something. I want to go to a nice PhD program (that's funded is the main thing).

Out of curiosity, which UC do you go to? I plan to do the same thing as your self and was hoping to know more about the transition. It would be much appreciated. Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think you count your CC gpa when applying to grad school.

godzillabill said:
I am interested in mathematical physics, in particular stochastic dynamics.

You need to be a little more specific to be able to nail down some grad programs (ie: stoch. dynamics of what? microbiological systems? In that case look at U. Pittsburgh's biophysics group for example. Some controlled quantum dynamics? Look for quantum optics and condensed matter theory programs...). This is the go-to reference for grad schools in the US, lots of info to be found here :

http://gradschoolshopper.com/

and any findings should be followed up by checking the departments' pages to see if what is on the AIP records is correct/up to date. Also do check out the departments of the authors in whatever papers in the topic interest you and their references' institutions, that really is the best way to find schools that focus exactly on what you're looking for.

Last edited:
TheKracken said:
Out of curiosity, which UC do you go to? I plan to do the same thing as your self and was hoping to know more about the transition. It would be much appreciated. Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think you count your CC gpa when applying to grad school.

Well they look at your classes. Your GPA starts over after you transfer, but they do look at all the classes you've taken and grades you've received.

I found the most difficult thing about the transition was the stuff around school rather than the actual classes. Living on your own, budgeting, etc. For the actual classes? Everyone always makes upper division math to be completely different. It's not really. Once you get used to proofs, it's the same stuff as lower division. Harder of course. But there's so much more to math than rigor.

Another thing I've noticed is that although the classes a UC aren't really that much "harder", but it's easier to get Bs. At my CC, we would have 5/6 tests a term. So little mistakes ended up not mattering. At a UC you'll have 2 or 3 tests a term. There was one class where I had multiple choice problems that I calculated each problem to be ~2% of your overall grade. These were sometimes computational. Adding two numbers wrong could drop you down 2%. Easily enough to drop you from an A to A-.

Lavabug said:
You need to be a little more specific to be able to nail down some grad programs (ie: stoch. dynamics of what? microbiological systems? In that case look at U. Pittsburgh's biophysics group for example. Some controlled quantum dynamics? Look for quantum optics and condensed matter theory programs...). This is the go-to reference for grad schools in the US, lots of info to be found here :

http://gradschoolshopper.com/

and any findings should be followed up by checking the departments' pages to see if what is on the AIP records is correct/up to date. Also do check out the departments of the authors in whatever papers in the topic interest you and their references' institutions, that really is the best way to find schools that focus exactly on what you're looking for.

Stochastic dynamics applied to quantum mechanics/QFT. In particular I'm interested in path integration, about creating path integrals in relativity.

Thanks for the resource!

Also, I want to go to grad school in Applied Math, don't think I mentioned that.

Related to Grad School Application: Assessing My Chances

1. What are the most important factors to consider when assessing my chances for grad school admission?

Some of the most important factors to consider are your undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, research experience, standardized test scores (such as the GRE), and any relevant work or volunteer experience in your field of study.

2. How can I improve my chances of getting accepted into grad school?

There are a few ways to improve your chances of getting accepted into grad school. Some suggestions include gaining more research experience, strengthening your letters of recommendation, retaking standardized tests to improve scores, and showcasing any relevant skills or experiences in your application materials.

3. Is it necessary to have a high GPA to get into grad school?

While a high GPA is certainly helpful, it is not the only factor that grad schools consider. Admissions committees also look at your research experience, letters of recommendation, and other qualifications. However, a strong GPA can demonstrate your academic ability and dedication to your studies, so it is important to strive for a high GPA if possible.

4. Can I still get into grad school if I don't have much research experience?

Yes, you can still get into grad school without a lot of research experience. However, having some research experience can make your application more competitive. If you don't have much research experience, try to gain some through internships, volunteer work, or independent projects before applying to grad school.

5. How important are standardized test scores in the grad school admissions process?

Standardized test scores, such as the GRE, are just one aspect of your grad school application. While they can be an important indicator of your academic abilities, they are not the only factor that admissions committees consider. If your scores are not as high as you would like, you can still improve your chances by highlighting your other qualifications and experiences in your application materials.