Good method for studying boring and mnemonic stuff?

In summary, the individual is struggling with studying art, history, and philosophy for their exams and finds it difficult to focus due to their dislike for the subjects. They are also struggling with memorization and have trouble changing their negative attitude towards the subjects. The advice given is to change their attitude and find ways to make the subjects more interesting, such as creating stories to help with memorization.
physics user1
I have to study art, history and philosophy in order to pass the year and get to the university, I am doing really really bad at them and when i study them i get always distracted because i hate them a lot...
How can i do?
The idea that i I'm in trouble doesn't make any effect on me, seems like my brain prefers being anxious rather than study them
I also have lot of trouble memorizing stuff that i don't like

Physics news on Phys.org
Cozma Alex said:
I have to study art, history and philosophy in order to pass the year and get to the university, I am doing really really bad at them and when i study them i get always distracted because i hate them a lot...
How can i do?
The idea that i I'm in trouble doesn't make any effect on me, seems like my brain prefers being anxious rather than study them
I also have lot of trouble memorizing stuff that i don't like
The more you "hate" them, the more difficult it becomes, because you decided to fight two opponents instead of one. So the obvious advice is to change your attitude or at least ignore your emotions. Beside this, those fields can be exciting and interesting as well as physics. Did you know that many mathematicians play a musical instrument? And really many have read books about philosophy, too. At least they usually have basic knowledge in these fields. There is no reason to "hate" them. E.g. guess how often we get posts here that say "Is xyz real?". We don't discuss philosophy here but it shows how connected it is to our understanding of physics and mathematics.

The most often cited method to memorize things is to create a story. First one associates certain images or stuff with the objects to memorize, and then build a story with them in mind. E.g. if you want to memorize "Claude Monet - 1872 - soleil levant - impressionism" you could associate "Claude = closed eyes" , "Monet = money" , "soleil = sun" , "levant - rooster" , "impressionism - weight" and build a story like "At sun rise the rooster crowed, reminding me to make some money today, at least $18.72, although my closed eyelids still weighed on me." = "soleil levant - Monet - 1872 - Claude - impressionism".

I don't know whether this is helpful, but it is the method people often tell, when they are asked how they managed to memorize e.g. 200 digits of ##\pi## or similar things. They usually create a walk through a building or similar.

Likes fissifizz, billy_joule and physics user1

Related to Good method for studying boring and mnemonic stuff?

1. What is the best method for studying boring and mnemonic stuff?

The best method for studying boring and mnemonic stuff is to use active learning techniques such as creating flashcards, summarizing key points, or teaching the material to someone else. These methods help to engage your brain and make the material more interesting and memorable.

2. How can I make studying boring material more enjoyable?

To make studying boring material more enjoyable, try to find ways to relate the material to your interests or daily life. You can also break up your study sessions with short breaks and rewards for completing certain tasks. Additionally, try to study in a comfortable and quiet environment to minimize distractions.

3. What are some effective mnemonic devices for remembering information?

Some effective mnemonic devices include acronyms, visual imagery, and association techniques. For example, creating an acronym using the first letter of each piece of information you need to remember or using vivid mental images to associate with important concepts can help make them more memorable.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying boring material?

To stay motivated while studying boring material, it can be helpful to set specific goals and reward yourself for achieving them. You can also break up your studying into smaller, more manageable chunks and take breaks in between to prevent burnout. Additionally, remind yourself of the importance of the material and how it relates to your overall goals or career aspirations.

5. How can I improve my retention of boring material?

To improve retention of boring material, it is important to actively engage with the material and use techniques such as spaced repetition, which involves reviewing the material at increasing intervals over time. Additionally, practicing retrieval by testing yourself on the material can help to solidify your understanding and retention of the information.