Golf Displacement: 4.19m, 20° North of East

In summary, a golfer would need to roll the ball 4.0 m due east, then 3.0 m at an angle of 20° north of east, and lastly 0.50 m due north in order to hole the ball on the very first putt.
Caitlin.Lolz.

Homework Statement

A golfer, putting on a green, requires three strokes to "hole the ball." During the first putt, the ball rolls 4.0 m due east. For the second putt, the ball travels 3.0 m at an angle 20° north of east. The third putt is 0.50 m due north. What displacement (magnitude and direction relative to due east) would have been needed to "hole the ball" on the very first putt?
Magnitude, in meters, and Direction, degrees North of East.

Homework Equations

X = Vxt (I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to to draw a diagram of a vector but if I followed the directions exactly then the picture isn't a triangle. So, I attempted to find the X and Y components, but it doesn't seem right.
X) 3cos(20) + .50cos(90) + 4cos(70) = 4.19
I don't know what to do from finding the x and y components, or if I'm even finding the components correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Caitlin.Lolz. said:

Homework Statement

A golfer, putting on a green, requires three strokes to "hole the ball." During the first putt, the ball rolls 4.0 m due east. For the second putt, the ball travels 3.0 m at an angle 20° north of east. The third putt is 0.50 m due north. What displacement (magnitude and direction relative to due east) would have been needed to "hole the ball" on the very first putt?
Magnitude, in meters, and Direction, degrees North of East.

Homework Equations

X = Vxt (I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to to draw a diagram of a vector but if I followed the directions exactly then the picture isn't a triangle. So, I attempted to find the X and Y components, but it doesn't seem right.
X) 3cos(20) + .50cos(90) + 4cos(70) = 4.19
I don't know what to do from finding the x and y components, or if I'm even finding the components correctly.

If the golfer 3-putted it won't be a triangle, unless he was putting from the bottom of the hole.

You are on the right track ... sort of.
You need to separate each of the three vectors into x and y-axis components and then sum x and sum y separately.
That will be the resulting x and y component of the vector of the answer.
The magnitude will be given by the square root of the sum of the squares. And the direction by the angle that makes with a reference direction.

Ok - thank you. But, to find the x and y components don't I need to know the angles that go with each distance? How do I find the angle for 4 m East? or .50 m North? Thats mainly what I got stuck on. =].

Caitlin.Lolz. said:
Ok - thank you. But, to find the x and y components don't I need to know the angles that go with each distance? How do I find the angle for 4 m East? or .50 m North? Thats mainly what I got stuck on. =].

Due east is a direction. If you choose your axis well you can eliminate terms.

In this regard choosing East as the positive x-axis should be a good choice. Then you know the x component is 4 and the y component is 0.

Once you define East then you should know where North is correct?

Thank you, that makes sense! And I got the problem right!

Caitlin.Lolz. said:
Thank you, that makes sense! And I got the problem right!

Good job then. Keep up the good work.

Related to Golf Displacement: 4.19m, 20° North of East

1. What is meant by "Golf Displacement: 4.19m, 20° North of East"?

The term "Golf Displacement" refers to the distance and direction that a golf ball has traveled from its initial location. In this case, the golf ball has traveled 4.19 meters in a direction that is 20 degrees north of east.

2. How is Golf Displacement measured?

Golf Displacement is typically measured using a tool called a rangefinder, which uses lasers or GPS technology to determine the distance and direction a golf ball has traveled.

3. What factors can affect Golf Displacement?

The main factors that can affect Golf Displacement include the initial speed and angle of the golf club at impact, wind speed and direction, the type of surface the ball lands on, and any obstacles in the way such as trees or bunkers.

4. Why is it important to measure Golf Displacement?

Measuring Golf Displacement can give players and coaches valuable information about their swing and technique. It can also help them make strategic decisions on the golf course, such as club selection and aiming for the best position for their next shot.

5. How does Golf Displacement relate to other aspects of golf?

Golf Displacement is closely related to other aspects of the game such as distance control, accuracy, and shot shaping. It is also a key factor in calculating a player's overall score and can impact the outcome of a round or tournament.