A man drives 12k west, then 15km north, then 20 km east....

• Thread starter speedyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    physics
In summary, the problem asks to determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement of a man who drives 12 km west, 15 km north, and 20 km east. This can be solved by using trigonometry and Pythagoras' theorem, or by drawing a map to scale and using a ruler and compass to measure the distances. The final answer will give the distance and direction from the starting point to the end point.
speedyboy

Homework Statement

A man drives 12k west, then 15km north, then 20 km east.
Determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get the question and I really have no idea how to solve this problem, can someone help me :([/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
They are asking how far and in what direction the end point is from the start.

Draw a map to scale.

speedyboy said:

Homework Statement

A man drives 12k west, then 15km north, then 20 km east.
Determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get the question and I really have no idea how to solve this problem, can someone help me :([/B]

Do you drive a car? If so, just imagine it is YOU who are doing the driving. At the end of your little trip you end up somewhere, and the question is just asking you to figure out where that would be in relation to your starting point. If you do not drive a car, just imagine that you are a passenger in a car driven by somebody else.

How do I determine the magnitude and direction of the displacement? What formula will I use

speedyboy said:
How do I determine the magnitude and direction of the displacement? What formula will I use

Step 1: get the ##(x,y)## (East,North) components of the final point.

Step 2: THEN (and ONY then) worry about how to find the magnitude and direction.

That last task is just elementary "coordinate geometry", which you have probably already taken.

Alternatively, you can follow the advice of CWatters in post #2, and draw the path carefully on a sheet of graph paper, then use a ruler and a compass to get an answer. That approach might be worth at least part marks.

Last edited:
speedyboy said:
Trigonometry an Pythagoras is all you need.

If you make a drawing and mark up the distances on it all should become clear.

Related to A man drives 12k west, then 15km north, then 20 km east....

1. What is the total distance traveled by the man?

The total distance traveled by the man is 47km. This can be calculated by using the Pythagorean theorem to find the hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the 12km west, 15km north, and 20km east legs.

2. What is the direction of the man's final position?

The direction of the man's final position is northeast. This can be determined by looking at the direction of each leg of the journey and combining them using vector addition.

3. How far is the man's final position from his starting point?

The man's final position is 17km away from his starting point. This can be found by taking the difference between the distance traveled north (15km) and the distance traveled west (12km).

4. What is the man's displacement?

The man's displacement is 17km in a northeast direction. Displacement is the straight-line distance and direction from the starting point to the final position, and it does not take into account the actual path of the journey.

5. What is the significance of using vector addition in this scenario?

Vector addition is significant in this scenario because it allows us to accurately determine the final position and displacement of the man. It also takes into account both the distance and direction of each leg of the journey, providing a more complete understanding of the overall movement. Additionally, vector addition is a fundamental concept in physics and is used in many real-world applications to analyze and predict motion.