Two beetles run across flat sand, starting at the same point

• Thread starter HappyFlower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flat Point
In summary, two beetles start at the same point on flat sand. Beetle 1 runs 0.50 m due east, then 0.80 m at 30◦ north of due east. Beetle 2 runs 1.6 m at 40◦ east of due north in its first run. To end up at the same location as beetle 1, beetle 2's second run must have a magnitude of 1.11 m and a direction of 30◦ south of due east.
HappyFlower

Homework Statement

Two beetles run across flat sand, starting at the same point. Beetle 1 runs 0.50 m due east, then 0.80 m at 30◦ north of due east. Beetle 2 also makes two runs; the first is 1.6 m at 40◦ east of due north. What must be (a) the magnitude and (b) the direction of its second run if it is to end up at the new location of beetle 1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the vector, but the problem i am having is where to start for finding the answer i need. On the picture which is included below.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 548
Physics news on Phys.org
Let A and B be the two displacements of beetle 1. Let C and D be the two displacements of beetle 2.

Can you write a single vector equation that shows how these 4 vectors are related?

TSny said:
Let A and B be the two displacements of beetle 1. Let C and D be the two displacements of beetle 2.

Can you write a single vector equation that shows how these 4 vectors are related?

I could but i am trying to use triangles to find the answers.

How far east did beetle 1 go in total?
How far north did beetle 1 go in total?

How far east did beetle 2 go in its first run?
How far north did beetle 2 go in its first run?

Related to Two beetles run across flat sand, starting at the same point

1. How fast do the beetles run?

The speed at which the beetles run can vary depending on various factors such as their species, age, and physical condition. However, on average, beetles can run at a speed of 1.5 to 2.5 miles per hour.

2. Do the beetles have a specific direction they run in?

The direction in which the beetles run can also vary depending on their species and their individual goals. However, in a controlled experiment, they may be trained to run in a specific direction using cues or rewards.

3. How far do the beetles run?

The distance the beetles run can also vary depending on the factors mentioned above. However, in a controlled experiment, the distance can be measured and used to determine the beetles' speed and direction.

4. How does the starting point affect the beetles' run?

The starting point can play a significant role in the beetles' run, as it can affect their direction and distance. For example, if the starting point is near a food source, the beetles may run towards it.

5. What other factors can influence the beetles' run?

Aside from species, age, physical condition, and starting point, other factors that can influence the beetles' run may include temperature, humidity, and the presence of other stimuli such as predators or potential mates.