Golf ball problem (2D Kinematics)

In summary, a golf ball is chipped with an initial velocity of 20 m/s along a level fairway. The question is to find the angle at which the initial velocity should be launched for the maximum height to be equal to the horizontal distance. Various formulas and attempts have been made, including using the ratio of Vy/Vx = Tanθ to relate all the pieces together, leading to a solution. The maximum horizontal distance can also be found using the formula X = 1/2*g*(T/2)^2, where T is the total time and g is the acceleration due to gravity.
chudd88

Homework Statement

A golf ball is chipped with an initial velocity of 20 m/s along a level fairway.

a) WHat angle should the initial velocity make with the horizontal for the maximum height to be equal to the horizontal distance on the fly?

b) What is this horizontal distance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been working on this problem over the past couple of days, and I'm stuck on it. It's one of the problems at the end of the chapter, which are supposed to be the most challenging, but I feel like either there's some important mathematical formula I'm expected to remember, or there's something very simple I'm overlooking.

My attempts so far:

* The distance x at time t is the same as the height y at time t/2

* The initial horizontal and vertical velocities are 20*cos(theta) and 20*sin(theta) respectively.

* I've done every manner of substitution I can think of, converting values into corresponding values using all of the equations I have available to me. Either I come out with a totally wrong answer, or I just end up with an identity.

I understand the basics of 2D kinematics. If I knew the initial angle I'd be able to figure out everything about the ball's flight. But, trying to use what's available to me, and work it backwards to the angle, isn't working out for me. I keep wanting to get a value relative to cos(theta) or sin(theta), and use the pythagorean theorem to get one of the other initial velocities, but I'm just not getting there.

Could someone give me a hint as to what it's going to take to figure this out? I don't expect anyone to do the whole thing, but if you can see, looking at the problem, some bit of insight I'm obviously missing, that would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
chudd88 said:

Homework Statement

A golf ball is chipped with an initial velocity of 20 m/s along a level fairway.

a) WHat angle should the initial velocity make with the horizontal for the maximum height to be equal to the horizontal distance on the fly?

b) What is this horizontal distance.

I've been working on this problem over the past couple of days, and I'm stuck on it. It's one of the problems at the end of the chapter, which are supposed to be the most challenging, but I feel like either there's some important mathematical formula I'm expected to remember, or there's something very simple I'm overlooking.

My attempts so far:

* The distance x at time t is the same as the height y at time t/2

Try this:

t * Vx = x or Vx = X/T where T is the total time and X is total Distance which is also height.

We also know that X = 1/2*g* (T/2)2
(T/2 because what goes down must have gone up.)

Substituting then we know Vx = (1/2 * g * T2/4) / T = 1/8 * g * T

Now you also know that Vy = g * T/2

The ratio of Vy/Vx = Tanθ

Last edited:
Thank you for the help. I need to go over your work a bit more to understand it, but I can see it leading me to the answer. The greatest help was in your statement:

I realize that should have been obvious to me, but I just wasn't seeing it. That was the "insight" I needed to relate all the pieces together.

Thank you again.

chudd88 said:
Thank you for the help. I need to go over your work a bit more to understand it, but I can see it leading me to the answer. The greatest help was in your statement:

I realize that should have been obvious to me, but I just wasn't seeing it. That was the "insight" I needed to relate all the pieces together.

Thank you again.

Happy to help.

Cheers.

Related to Golf ball problem (2D Kinematics)

1. What is the "Golf ball problem" in 2D Kinematics?

The Golf ball problem is a classic physics problem that involves calculating the trajectory of a golf ball in a 2-dimensional space. It is often used to demonstrate the principles of projectile motion and how factors such as initial velocity, launch angle, and air resistance affect the path of a projectile.

2. What are the key equations used to solve the Golf ball problem?

The two key equations used to solve the Golf ball problem are the horizontal and vertical components of the projectile motion equation. The horizontal component is given by:
x = x0 + v0xt
and the vertical component is given by:
y = y0 + v0yt - 1/2gt2
where x and y are the horizontal and vertical positions of the ball, x0 and y0 are the initial positions, v0x and v0y are the initial velocities, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a golf ball in the Golf ball problem?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the trajectory of a golf ball in the Golf ball problem. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which causes it to slow down. This can result in a shorter horizontal distance and a steeper downward trajectory compared to the ideal case with no air resistance.

4. What are the assumptions made in solving the Golf ball problem?

When solving the Golf ball problem, some common assumptions are made to simplify the calculations. These include assuming a constant acceleration due to gravity, ignoring air resistance or assuming a constant drag force, and assuming a perfectly round and symmetrical golf ball. In reality, these assumptions may not hold true, but they allow for a reasonable approximation of the ball's trajectory.

5. How is the launch angle of a golf ball related to its maximum range in the Golf ball problem?

The launch angle of a golf ball, also known as the angle of elevation, is the angle at which the ball is initially launched into the air. In the Golf ball problem, it is found that the maximum range, or horizontal distance traveled, is achieved when the launch angle is 45 degrees. This is due to the fact that at this angle, the initial velocity is split evenly between the horizontal and vertical components, resulting in the longest possible distance traveled before the ball hits the ground.