Goldstein - CM - chapter guidance?

In summary, the conversation discusses a book called Goldstein which is recommended by the teacher for a course on applied mechanics, specifically statics and dynamics. The book is considered an advanced text and covers topics such as moment of force, particle systems, and static equilibrium. However, it also includes chapters on Lagrangian and Hamiltonian equations which the person has not heard of before. The person is seeking clarification on which chapters cover statics and the basics of physics, but it is mentioned that the book is more suitable for upper undergraduate or graduate level students.
Inertigratus
Not sure if this thread fits here, anyway.
My teacher recommended this book so I decided to check it out. However, I don't really understand what to read from it. We've been doing moment of force, particle systems and static equilibrium so far. This stuff only seems to be in the first "introductory" chapter in the book. There's also chapters about lagrangian- & hamiltonian equations, none of which I've heard of before.
If anyone has knowledge of the book, could you tell me some chapters that are about statics and the things I've been studying?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Inertigratus said:
If anyone has knowledge of the book, could you tell me some chapters that are about statics and the things I've been studying?
Goldstein is a rather advanced book on Classical Mechanics. What are you currently studying and at what level? You won't find much in Goldstein on basic statics. (There are intermediate level books on Classical Mechanics that bridge the gap.)

It seems so, my teacher said he used it and that it's like a CM "bible".
Applied mechanics; statics and dynamics. First year at university level.

Inertigratus said:
It seems so, my teacher said he used it and that it's like a CM "bible".
Applied mechanics; statics and dynamics. First year at university level.

Ah. Well, it's true that it certainly is THE book for classical mechanics, but it's an upper undergraduate/graduate level text. I'm not sure why your professor recommended you look at it for your course...

I see. So it doesn't explain much of the basics of statics and dynamics?
By basics, I mean one level ahead of what's taught in "high school". Vector based physics.

Related to Goldstein - CM - chapter guidance?

1. What is the main focus of Goldstein's "CM" chapter?

The main focus of Goldstein's "CM" chapter is on classical mechanics, which is the study of motion and forces on macroscopic objects.

2. What topics are covered in Goldstein's "CM" chapter?

Goldstein's "CM" chapter covers topics such as Newton's laws of motion, conservation laws, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, and rotational motion.

3. Is prior knowledge of physics required to understand Goldstein's "CM" chapter?

Yes, prior knowledge of physics is required to understand Goldstein's "CM" chapter. The chapter assumes a basic understanding of concepts such as force, position, velocity, and acceleration.

4. Are there any real-world applications discussed in Goldstein's "CM" chapter?

Yes, Goldstein's "CM" chapter discusses real-world applications of classical mechanics, such as the motion of planets, the behavior of pendulums, and the motion of objects on inclined planes.

5. Are there any practice problems or exercises included in Goldstein's "CM" chapter?

Yes, Goldstein's "CM" chapter includes numerous practice problems and exercises to help readers apply the concepts and principles discussed in the chapter.