Can anyone recommend an advanced linear algebra book?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of advanced linear algebra and recommendations for books on the subject. The person asking for recommendations has already taken courses in linear algebra and is looking for a book that will help them develop skills in optimization and programming. Multiple suggestions are given, including Meyer's Matrix Analysis, Axler's Linear Algebra Done Right, and Kuttler's free PDF on linear algebra. Some other books are also mentioned as potential supplementary sources.
Eclair_de_XII
I have already taken two elementary linear algebra courses, and have taken the upper-division linear algebra course offered at my school. However, I feel that I did not learn as much from the latter as I should have. I can owe this to not applying myself as much as I should have, due to other issues I have been coping with as of late.

Anyway, what I covered in the last linear algebra course I have taken was most of the basics of linear algebra that were made more abstract, polynomials, bilinear forms, adjoints, and possibly more. The book that I used last semester (that I had to return because I was renting it) was Advanced Linear Algebra by Cooperstein. I covered chapters one, two, four, six, and eight. I also learned about those isomorphism theorems, though I did not have to use them that often.

In any case, can anyone recommend me an advanced linear algebra book? Preferably one that is free and can be downloaded in a pdf format? What are your thoughts about this book called "Linear Algebra Done Right"? I've heard of it, so I figure that it must have some reason for being popular.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"advanced" in what sense? I.e. what are you looking to develop after reading it?

it could mean applications to real world or to other parts of math (or stats or optimization or cs or ...)? If you have a goal of developing (i) multi-linear algebra that would lead you to a rather different place than focusing on developing some interesting results with (ii) spectral theory + blocked matrices + say Perron Frobenius theory.

If you find (ii) to be to your interests, I'd probably suggest doing the second half of Meyer's Matrix Analysis which is not free but has some very good stuff in there... the book comes with a thoughtful solutions manual too. There's also a bunch of 'bonus items' amongst the exercises covering things like commuting matrices, kronecker products and Newton's Identities -- important stuff that you typically would miss. Whether a lot of this stuff formally is linear algebra or matrix theory and analysis I suppose is a linguistic issue.
- - - -
On the other hand, Axler's book is fine, though again not free. He says ridiculous things about determinants but the book has some good things in there otherwise. It's popular enough that you can find various websites from universities that use it for a course, and just clone and work through the syllabus/ homework schedule that said courses use. Again it depends on what you are looking to develop. To help balance things out and properly understand determinants, I'd suggest at least working through chapter 3 of Linear Algebra Done Wrong, first. This one is freely available as a PDF here:
https://www.math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html

you may enjoy some other chapters (e.g. 7) as well

I think all 3 of the above books only use fields of characteristic zero, so if you are interested in other algebraic properties, they may not be a good fit. Again, your goals matter here.

- - - -
I recommended a free PDF on linear algebra from Kuttler to you a while back. I'm not sure how much progress you made with it.

StoneTemplePython said:
what are you looking to develop after reading it?

Like I said, I was hoping to learn what I should have in the course I took last fall, which would probably warrant repurchasing the book I had used. But now that I think about it, I really want to get into linear programming (optimization, like you said). It sounds like a useful skill to apply to programming, and perhaps something that can be used in the workplace.

StoneTemplePython said:
I recommended a free PDF on linear algebra from Kuttler to you a while back. I'm not sure how much progress you made with it.

Sorry, I had actually realized I didn't need the book to do my project two years ago, and had forgotten about the book you'd linked me to, until now.

Eclair_de_XII said:
But now that I think about it, I really want to get into linear programming (optimization, like you said). It sounds like a useful skill to apply to programming, and perhaps something that can be used in the workplace.

If you want linear algebra with an eye toward optimization, my suggestion would be the book by Meyer and definitely not Axler who tries to avoid matrices, doesn't tell you much anything algorithmic, not even gaussian elimination, omits big things like Cramers Rule (which e.g. can be used to prove integer valued solutions for special classes of Linear Programs), and so on.

For a gentle look at Linear Programming itself, the book "Understanding and Using Linear Programming" by Matousek and Gartner is pretty good. (I am part way through their semidefinite programming book and finding it is rather... less gentle.)

Likes The Bill
Another excellent introductory book on linear programming and other topics such as computational complexity is Combinatorial Optimization: Algorithms and Complexity by Papadimitriou and Steiglitz.

It's a Dover book, so it won't cost much to add to your library. I've found it useful over the past couple of decades, and the presentation still feels fairly modern despite the fact that it was published in the early 80s.

Also, I'm not suggesting it as an alternative to anything suggested earlier in the thread, but as a potential supplementary source.

I like Strang's book on linear algebra. He does some optimization. Also linear programming is addressed in many books on operations research like Hiller and Lieberman. Luenberger writes a good book on dynamics and linear systems.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, matrices, vectors, and linear transformations. It is used to solve problems in many fields, including engineering, physics, economics, and computer science.

2. Why is it important to study advanced linear algebra?

Advanced linear algebra is important because it provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental concepts and techniques in linear algebra. It also allows for more complex problem-solving and applications in various fields.

3. What are some recommended advanced linear algebra books?

Some recommended advanced linear algebra books include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, and "Advanced Linear Algebra" by Steven Roman.

4. What topics are typically covered in an advanced linear algebra book?

Topics typically covered in an advanced linear algebra book include vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, diagonalization, inner product spaces, and applications of linear algebra.

5. Are there any prerequisites for studying advanced linear algebra?

Yes, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in basic linear algebra, including knowledge of matrices, vectors, and systems of linear equations. Some knowledge of calculus and abstract algebra may also be helpful.