Glider and vertical circle question

In summary, a glider must fly at a minimum speed of 134 ms-1 to make a perfect vertical circle in the air with a radius of 200.0m.
pauladancer

Homework Statement

What is the minimum speed that a glider must fly in order to make a perfect vertical circle in the air if the circle has a radius of 200.0 m?

Homework Equations

Fc = mv2 / r
V = 2(Pi)r / T

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn the free body diagram and I think that the formula should be Fg = mv2 / r but I am confused why there is no mass given in the question. Is there a way that I can solve for the mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
pauladancer said:
What is the minimum speed that a glider must fly in order to make a perfect vertical circle in the air if the circle has a radius of 200.0 m?

think about the lowermost point and the topmost point of the vertical circle the glider is going to cover - and try to find the speed it must have at both the points- the glider speed usually varies as he mounts the circle.

Seems there is missing information. What is the minimum speed for the glider to be able to fly inverted in level flight (generating (- m g) of lift)?

the question asks for the MINIMUM speed to complete the vertical circle so the ACCELERATION at the top of the circle must equal 'g' ( g= v2 /r ).
The best way to solve this problem is to consider KE and PE.
At the top the KE must equal the gain in PE (h = 2r !) plus some KE to complete the circle.

the solution is independ
pauladancer said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Fc = mv2 / r
V = 2(Pi)r / T

I have drawn the free body diagram and I think that the formula should be Fg = mv2 / r but I am confused why there is no mass given in the question. Is there a way that I can solve for the mass?
pauladancer said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Fc = mv2 / r
V = 2(Pi)r / T

the solution is independent of mass ! acceleration is the important quantity

lychette said:
the question asks for the MINIMUM speed to complete the vertical circle so the ACCELERATION at the top of the circle must equal 'g' ( g= v2 /r ).
The problem statement is a glider flying in a vertical circle. At the top, the acceleration only needs to be equal to v2 / r, where r is the radius of the circle, and with the glider generating negative lift (upwards force on inverted glider), the centripetal acceleration can be less than 1 g, with a corresponding lower speed.

Last edited:
+1

Its a bad question.

considering this is an introductory physics question I think this question is OK...not perfect maybe.
It seems straight forward to me to consider the glider flying so that the lift force is always directed towards the centre of the circle. The minimum speed would correspond to the lift at the top of the circle becoming zero which gives the centripetal acceleration at the top to be v2/r.
The KE at the bottom of the circle should equal mgh so v at the bottom is √2gh
For the values in this question I got the v at the bottom to be 90 ms-1 and the required v at the top to be 44 ms-1
So I would say the minimum speed is 134 ms-1

Thank you everyone, I finally figured out that the masses cancel out when you solve, so you don't need a mass!

Related to Glider and vertical circle question

1. What is a glider and vertical circle question?

A glider and vertical circle question is a type of physics problem that involves a glider traveling along a circular path, either horizontally or vertically, while experiencing various forces such as gravity, friction, and tension.

2. What are the key concepts involved in solving a glider and vertical circle question?

The key concepts involved in solving a glider and vertical circle question include Newton's laws of motion, centripetal force, free body diagrams, and understanding the components of forces acting on the glider at different points along the circular path.

3. How do you determine the speed of a glider in a vertical circle?

The speed of a glider in a vertical circle can be determined using the equation v = √(rg), where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the glider is moving at a constant speed and does not include the effects of air resistance.

4. What is the difference between a glider moving in a horizontal circle and a vertical circle?

The main difference between a glider moving in a horizontal circle and a vertical circle is the direction of the centripetal force. In a horizontal circle, the force acts towards the center of the circle, while in a vertical circle, the force acts towards the bottom of the circle.

5. How do you account for friction when solving a glider and vertical circle question?

Friction can be accounted for by including it as a force in the free body diagram of the glider. The direction of the friction force will depend on the direction of the glider's motion and can either help or hinder the glider's movement along the circular path.