Glass in flatbed scanner transparent to UV-C (~254nm)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a DIY UV-C germicidal box for household protection and the difficulty in determining if a plate of glass from a flatbed scanner is transparent to UV in the 250-280nm range. The person asks for advice on how to determine the type and optical properties of the glass, with the suggestion to do a practical test with a dayglow jacket. The conversation also warns about the potential harm of UV rays to the eyes.
Speedloaf
TL;DR Summary
Glass in flatbed scanner transparent to UV-C (~254nm)?
Hello,

I am making a DIY UV-C germicidal box as part of my defense-in-depth strategy for protecting my household but I am having trouble determining whether a particular plate of glass that I have will be transparent to UV in the 250-280nm range. The glass in question is from a flatbed scanner and I'm hoping it is borosilicate but I don't know how to test without ruining it.

Does anyone know how I could determine the type (and optical properties) of glass used in common flatbed image scanners?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Speedloaf said:
Summary:: Glass in flatbed scanner transparent to UV-C (~254nm)?

Does anyone know how I could determine the type (and optical properties) of glass used in common flatbed image scanners?

I wouldn't expect it to be anything other than normal glass

Do a practical test and find out

Get a dayglow jacket and see how it looks under your glass in sunlight.
PS mind the UV stuff. It can harm your eyes.

Likes hutchphd and Andy Resnick

1. What is the purpose of using glass that is transparent to UV-C (~254nm) in a flatbed scanner?

The purpose of using glass that is transparent to UV-C (~254nm) in a flatbed scanner is to allow the UV-C light to pass through the glass and onto the document being scanned. This type of glass is specifically designed to transmit UV-C light and is commonly used in flatbed scanners to ensure accurate and high-quality scans.

2. How does UV-C light affect the scanning process in a flatbed scanner?

UV-C light is used in flatbed scanners to help improve the contrast and sharpness of the scanned document. It is also effective in removing any dust or debris that may be present on the surface of the document, resulting in a cleaner and clearer scan.

3. Is there a specific type of glass that is best for UV-C transparency in flatbed scanners?

Yes, there are certain types of glass that are specifically designed for UV-C transparency. These glasses are usually made of fused silica or quartz, as they have a high transmission rate for UV-C light and are also resistant to the effects of UV radiation.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using UV-C light in a flatbed scanner?

Yes, it is important to take proper precautions when using UV-C light in a flatbed scanner. UV-C light can be harmful to the skin and eyes, so it is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling the scanner. It is also recommended to limit exposure to the light and to keep the scanner in a well-ventilated area.

5. Can any other materials be used in place of glass for UV-C transparency in flatbed scanners?

Yes, there are other materials that can be used for UV-C transparency in flatbed scanners, such as special films or coatings. However, glass is the most commonly used material due to its durability and high transmission rate for UV-C light.