3 questions on physical optics

In summary: Ah, that's where the confusion is! In order to find point P, you need to understand how light waves behave when they're reflected off of a surface. When light waves hit a surface, they are scattered in all directions. This is why the interference pattern on the screen changes as you move around it. If you use the principle of linear superposition, you can say that the light waves are like a bunch of waves that are all traveling in the same direction. Then, when the waves hit the surface, they all reflect off of it at the same time. But if you don't use the principle of linear superposition, the waves will be scattered in different directions. This
shemer77

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I have 3 questions on physical optics, I really don't know where to start or what equations to use. Sorry for the horrible drawings by the way

http://yfrog.com/0dfigure1p
1) Coherent monochromatic light of wavelength, lambda, in air is incident on two narrow slits, the centers of which are 2.0mm apart, as shown above. the interference pattern observed on a screen 5.0m away is represented in the figure by the graph of light intensity I as a function of position x on the screen.
a) what property of light does this interference experiment demonstrate?

b) at point P in the diagram, there is a minimum in the interference pattern. Determine the path difference between the light arriving at this point from the two slits.

c) determine the wavelength, lambda, of the light.

d) briefly and qualitatively describe how the interference pattern would change under reach of the following separate modifications and explain your reasoning.
I. the experiment is performed in water, which has an index of refraction greater than 1.

II. one of the slits is covered.

III. the slits are moved farther apart.2) Glass lenses in cameras and other optical instruments are usually coated with one or more transparent thin films, such as magnesium fluoride to reduce or eliminate unwanted reflection. Carl zeiss developed this method; his first coating was 1 x 10^2nm thick. Using n = 1.38 for magnesium fluoride, what visible wavelength would be eliminated by destructive interference in the reflected light?

3) Semiconductors such as silicon are used to fabricate solar cells - devices that generate electricity when exposed to sunlight. solar cells are often coated with a transparent thin film, such as silicon monoxide (n=1.45) to minimize reflective losses. a silicon solar cell ( n=3.5) is coated with a thin film of silicon monoxide for this purpose. determine the minimum thickness of the film that will produce the least reflection at a wavelength of 552nm.
http://yfrog.com/05figure2p

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1a) is it the principle of linear superposition?
1B) i really have no idea, because I am looking through my notes, and i don't see anything that can help me with this problem
1c) there are a couple of equations i can use, but I am not sure, is this similar to youngs double-slit experiment?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shemer77 said:
1) Coherent monochromatic light of wavelength, lambda, in air is incident on two narrow slits, the centers of which are 2.0mm apart, as shown above. the interference pattern observed on a screen 5.0m away is represented in the figure by the graph of light intensity I as a function of position x on the screen.
a) what property of light does this interference experiment demonstrate?

Hi shemer77! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help!

Start with 1a). :smile:

1B) i really have no idea, because I am looking through my notes, and i don't see anything that can help me with this problem
1c) there are a couple of equations i can use, but I am not sure, is this similar to youngs double-slit experiment?

1a) Let's come back to this later.

1b) You can use geometry to figure out the path difference. Note that point P, and the locations of the 2 slits, determine a triangle.

1c) Yes, it's similar to Young's double slit experiment.

shemer77 said:

(b)
I have looked at your diagram several times but I just can't find point P ?

Related to 3 questions on physical optics

1. What is physical optics?

Physical optics is a branch of optics that studies the behavior of light as a wave, including phenomena such as interference, diffraction, and polarization.

2. What are the three main questions in physical optics?

The three main questions in physical optics are: 1) How does light interact with matter? 2) How does light propagate through various media? 3) How do we manipulate light for practical applications?

3. What are some real-world applications of physical optics?

Physical optics has numerous applications in everyday life, including the design of optical devices such as lenses and mirrors, telecommunications technology, and the study of astronomical objects. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as microscopy, photography, and laser technology.