GifCities: A Blast from the Web's Past - Physics GIFs

• Thread starter DrClaude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
Maybe it was @Drakkith.In summary, the conversation revolved around the website GifCities, which contains a collection of GIFs from GeoCities. The discussion then shifted to a specific GIF that was popular on the website and its connection to quantum physics. The GIF features two penguins, with one observing and collapsing the wave function of the other. The conversation ended with a mention of a Physics Forums user who frequently posted the same GIF.
DrClaude
Mentor
For those like me old enough to remember the beginnings of the web, and for those wondering what it was like in those days, have a look at GifCities, a repository of GIFs from GeoCities.

The first result for the search term "physics":
physics.gif

Likes DennisN, cnh1995, S.G. Janssens and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Hehe, I searched for "quantum physics" (http://www.gifcities.org/#/quantum physics) and got only this gif:
Penguins.gif

My interpretation: The right penguin observer collapses the wave function of the left penguin who is walking in superposition.

Likes Student100, BillTre and fresh_42
I would call it slap-stick but its more like slap-penguin.

Likes DennisN
DennisN said:
Hehe, I searched for "quantum physics" (http://www.gifcities.org/#/quantum physics) and got only this gif:
You get that gif also when searching for "Physics Forums." There was a user that often posted that gif, but I can't remember who.

Related to GifCities: A Blast from the Web's Past - Physics GIFs

1. What is GifCities?

GifCities is a website that features a collection of animated GIFs related to physics from the early days of the internet. It allows users to take a blast from the past and explore the world of physics through these nostalgic GIFs.

2. Who created GifCities?

GifCities was created by the Internet Archive, a non-profit organization that aims to preserve digital content and make it accessible to the public. They launched GifCities in 2016 as a way to showcase the early days of the internet and its evolution.

3. How many GIFs are featured on GifCities?

As of now, GifCities has over 4 million animated GIFs in its collection, with a large portion of them related to physics. The website continues to add new GIFs as more content is archived and made available.

4. Can I download GIFs from GifCities?

Yes, you can download GIFs from GifCities for personal use. However, please note that some of the GIFs may be copyrighted, so it is important to check the usage rights before downloading.

5. How are the GIFs organized on GifCities?

The GIFs on GifCities are organized by themes and categories, such as physics, science, technology, and more. Users can also use the search function to find specific GIFs or browse through the archive by year.