Getting started with Physics and Math

In summary, the textbook you suggest is a good starting point for learning math and physics. You can also use online resources to supplement your learning, but it is important to start with the basics.
Gabriel Zamora
Hello everyone,

My question is, where should I start? what books or websites would you recommend for me? Math and physics are very broad subjects so I'm not sure where I should start and what path I should take. I don't want to overload myself with information, but instead learn the most fundamental areas of Math and physics and go from there.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd grab a few used textbooks on physics and math and just skip trying to find websites at all. For math, you need to start wherever you last left off. If you've never done any math outside of high school then you're probably going to need to start with college algebra and proceed into trigonometry and then calculus. For physics, you'll start off with what is known as Newtonian Physics or Classical Physics (the class on this topic is commonly called Introductory Mechanics). This hasn't changed much over the last several hundred years so just about any textbook on the topic will have have the information you need. My college textbook for my introductory mechanics class was this one. At a price of 4 dollars, this is a heck of a bargain.

Likes Gabriel Zamora
Drakkith said:
I'd grab a few used textbooks on physics and math and just skip trying to find websites at all. For math, you need to start wherever you last left off. If you've never done any math outside of high school then you're probably going to need to start with college algebra and proceed into trigonometry and then calculus. For physics, you'll start off with what is known as Newtonian Physics or Classical Physics (the class on this topic is commonly called Introductory Mechanics). This hasn't changed much over the last several hundred years so just about any textbook on the topic will have have the information you need. My college textbook for my introductory mechanics class was this one. At a price of 4 dollars, this is a heck of a bargain.

Thank you so much! The book you recommended is already on its way here!

I used that same textbook (but I think a few editions back from the one in the listing). Once I was done with the class, I went to the bookstore, and found a used one of the previous edition on the bargain shelf. I bought that and sold mine (which was still being used in the classes) back to the bookstore. As soon as they come out with a new edition, they push the schools to switch. It is not really teaching it any differently, but there are new homework problems, which makes your old version not very useful with classwork, but perfect for learning on your own (or as a handy reference).

Likes Gabriel Zamora

Related to Getting started with Physics and Math

1. What are the basic principles of physics and math?

The basic principles of physics include concepts such as motion, forces, energy, and matter. In math, the basic principles include numbers, operations, equations, and functions. These principles serve as the foundation for more complex theories and applications in both fields.

2. What is the best way to study physics and math?

The best way to study physics and math is by practicing problems and actively engaging with the material. This can include solving equations, working through examples, and participating in discussions. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to supplement your learning.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics and math?

To improve problem-solving skills in physics and math, it is important to first understand the concepts and principles involved. Then, practice solving a variety of problems to become familiar with different techniques and approaches. It can also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. What are some real-life applications of physics and math?

Physics and math have countless real-life applications, from understanding the laws of motion that govern the movement of objects to using mathematical equations to predict the behavior of complex systems. Other practical applications include designing structures, developing technology, and analyzing data in fields such as engineering, economics, and medicine.

5. How can I use physics and math to solve everyday problems?

Physics and math can be used to solve everyday problems by applying principles and concepts to real-life situations. For example, understanding the laws of motion can help you predict the trajectory of a thrown object or determine the force required to move an object. Basic math skills can also be used for tasks such as budgeting, measuring, and calculating proportions.