Getting into Photonics grad school for an EE major

In summary: Overall, it will be important for you to showcase your dedication and commitment to the field of photonics in your application materials. In summary, despite some challenges, with the right preparation and a strong application, you have a good chance of being accepted into a quality masters program in the field of photonics.
antew
I hold an Electrical Engineering (EE) BSC (3.45/4 GPA). I graduated in 2009.

I am passionate to pursue a career in physics related studies specially optics and photonics. There are no universities offering that in my country. So I have to look into US or Europe.

But it has now been about five years since I graduated, besides I don't have relevant work experience to photonics. I am currently working as a programmer/software developer. Consequently, grad schools are rejecting me.

So, I am thinking of a workaround here. (Strengthen myself and comeback)

I am going to do MSC in communication engineering, and a BSC on Applied math (physics stream) at the same time in a three year period, in my country.

I think that gives me an edge, but I will be 30 by then.

Even though, I will have the masters by then, I don't want to do PHD, because the education quality in my country is average. I want to go to a quality masters program in photonics.

What do you think my chances of getting accepted will be?

I really need your opinion
Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Your chances of getting accepted to a quality masters program in photonics are certainly possible. It is important to demonstrate that you are highly knowledgeable and passionate about the field of photonics, as well as have solid research experience. Having a strong academic background and research experience will be essential for graduate school admissions. Additionally, having a few years of professional experience in the field can also help bolster your application. Lastly, having strong letters of recommendation from professors and other professionals in the field can also make a difference.

Related to Getting into Photonics grad school for an EE major

1. What is Photonics?

Photonics is the science and technology of generating, controlling, and detecting light. It involves the use of photons (particles of light) to transmit, manipulate, and store information. Photonics has a wide range of applications, including in telecommunications, medicine, energy, and information processing.

2. What are the requirements for getting into a Photonics grad school?

The requirements for getting into a Photonics grad school may vary depending on the specific program and university. However, most programs require applicants to have a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related field. They may also require a minimum GPA, relevant coursework, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). Work experience and research experience may also be beneficial.

3. Is a background in Electrical Engineering necessary for a Photonics grad school?

While a background in Electrical Engineering is not necessarily required, it can be advantageous for students applying to Photonics grad schools. The field of Photonics heavily relies on principles of Electrical Engineering, such as circuit design, signal processing, and optics. Having a solid foundation in these areas can make it easier to understand and excel in Photonics coursework.

4. What are some top schools for Photonics grad programs?

Some top schools for Photonics grad programs include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, University of California-Los Angeles (UCLA), University of California-San Diego (UCSD), and University of Colorado-Boulder. However, it's important to research and consider other factors such as program specialization, faculty expertise, and research opportunities when choosing a grad school.

5. What can I expect from a Photonics grad program?

A Photonics grad program typically involves a combination of coursework, research, and hands-on experience. Students will learn about topics such as laser physics, fiber optics, photonic devices, and optical communications. They may also have the opportunity to work on research projects, collaborate with industry partners, and attend conferences. Graduates of Photonics programs can pursue careers in various industries, including telecommunications, optics, and photonics research and development.