Getting a degree in physics after MD?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a degree in physics after completing an MD. While it is possible, it may not be practical due to the time and financial constraints of medical school. Additionally, there may be challenges in proving qualifications for biophysics research. However, some people do choose to study physics before entering medical school, and it can provide a strong foundation for their medical careers. Ultimately, the decision to pursue a degree in physics after an MD depends on individual circumstances and priorities.
thedexter
I am an MBBS student currently in my third semester and I wanted to know that whether I can get a degree in physics after my MD (which I surely will be doing after my MBBS ). My interest in physics hasn't died down a bit since I left High school but well physics isn't much required in medicine so I won't be studying physics any more during my MBBS or MD so the question is can I get a degree in physics later in life and M.sc probably? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Dude, you can but why? xD

MrWarlock616 said:
Dude, you can but why? xD

But Why not?? :confused:

Because

• It costs a lot of money
  • One degree will be useless since you won't work both as a physicist and an MD
  • You will have forgotten most of your medical studies once you finished with physics
  • You are not guaranteed to even like physics or be good at it

This guy studied medicine in the Netherlands (5-6 year program, I believe), and then went for a MD/PhD at Harvard. The good news is that MD-PhDs are funded. The bad news is I don't know how you'd be able to prove that you are qualified to conduct biophysics research.

Perhaps studying on your own, and acing the physics GRE and/or conducting research.

There is nothing to say you couldn't go on into physics after completing a medical degree. If you have the time and the money to do it, you'll likely be able to.

The practical issue of course is that most people after finishing an MD are expected to start working as medical doctors in a world where there certainly seems to be a lack of them. Based on the schedules of the physicians I know, completing another undergraduate degree is extremely impractical.

Some people will do it in the reverse though. They get an undergraduat degree in physics and then move on into medical school. There is some evidence to suggest that physics majors do quite well on the MCAT compared to other majors. Physics gives these physicians a strong fundation in fundamental science which they can build on in their medical careers.

Choppy said:
The practical issue of course is that most people after finishing an MD are expected to start working as medical doctors in a world where there certainly seems to be a lack of them.

Also, in the USA at least, new MDs pretty much have to start working as doctors, and spend several years at it to pay off the debts that they incurred to pay for medical school. Medical schools are expensive in the USA. There are few scholarships for them, and many of those require some years of work afterwards. It's not like physics, where most PhD students get financial support via research or teaching assistantships.

Related to Getting a degree in physics after MD?

1. Can I pursue a degree in physics after completing my MD?

Yes, you can pursue a degree in physics after completing your MD. Many universities offer postgraduate programs in physics for individuals with a medical degree.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a degree in physics after MD?

There are several career opportunities for individuals with a degree in physics after MD. Some options include working as a medical physicist, a researcher in the field of medical physics, or pursuing a career in academia.

3. How long does it take to complete a degree in physics after MD?

The length of time to complete a degree in physics after MD can vary depending on the program and whether you are pursuing a full-time or part-time study. On average, it can take 2-3 years to complete a postgraduate degree in physics after MD.

4. Do I need a strong background in physics to pursue this degree after MD?

While having a strong background in physics can be beneficial, it is not always a requirement for pursuing a degree in physics after MD. Many programs offer foundational courses to help individuals catch up on any necessary knowledge.

5. Will having a degree in physics after MD give me an advantage in the medical field?

Having a degree in physics after MD can certainly provide you with a unique set of skills and knowledge that can be beneficial in the medical field. It can also open up new career opportunities for you, such as working in medical research or technology development.