Get Physics Lab Help: Find Theoretical Distance X

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the theoretical distance that a solid spherical ball will travel after being released from a certain height and traveling through a loop. The solution involves using conservation of energy to calculate the velocity at the end of the track, resolving it into x and y components, and using kinematic equations to find the distance. The final answer may vary due to factors such as air resistance in the tube.
ji707
1.hi, I am new to this forum and i have a question regarding my final physics lab:
A solid spherical ball, R= 1.4 cm and m=95 grams, is released from point A(1m above the). After traveling through the loop, the ball exits the set up as a projectile and land at point B with the horizontal distance of X= 37 cm.

the picture of the setup is here:
lab#13.jpg

2. i have to find the theoretical distance x, but I am not sure how to do this...

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the velocity at the end of the track by saying mgh = K.E.r+K.E+mgh(loop)+mgh(end of track) and i get the velocity once the ball leaves the track to be .843m/s. i think this seems to easy though, is it?

Im stuck on how to even start this and this is our final lab so we have to use all of our physics we've learned so far.
Can someone give me a hint on how to start?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi ji707! welcome to pf! :smile:
ji707 said:
I tried finding the velocity at the end of the track by saying mgh = K.E.r+K.E+mgh(loop)+mgh(end of track) and i get the velocity once the ball leaves the track to be .843m/s.

yes, that's right :smile:

(except that the loop makes no difference)

now resolve the velocity into x and y components, and use the standard constant acceleration equations :wink:

ahh, thank you i was stuck on this for a while but knowing the loop cancels out helps a lot, thanks : D

How would i go about finding the exit velocity given an x value?
ive tried plugging into the kinematic equations but i can't solve for both v and t...

I don't understand your question. Use the conservation of energy to solve for the exit velocity, decompose the vector, then use the kinematic equations to solve for what you want. You know the Vi, Vf and a for the x component and Vi, a and displacement for the y component.

Last edited:
Ill try to clarify, after all of this, they gave us an x value and told us to use that given value to find a new exit velocity corresponding to the new x value of the projectile,
so when i tried to plug in the x displacement value they gave us i figured that since the exit velocity had changed so would the time, now i have two unknown variables, V and t and I don't know how to go about finding them. hope that clears up my question.

hi ji707! :smile:
ji707 said:
… after all of this, they gave us an x value and told us to use that given value to find a new exit velocity corresponding to the new x value of the projectile …
now i have two unknown variables, V and t …

yes, it means, ignore everything except the angle at the exit, and find v as a function of x

two equations with two unknowns should be enough …

use one to find t, then put that value of t into the other to find v :wink:

thank you tiny-tim.
so i did the problem and found my x to be 1.43m does that seem right, i feel like I am way off...

ji707 said:
so i did the problem and found my x to be 1.43m does that seem right, i feel like I am way off...

(which question is this now?)

if you want us to check your answer, you need to show us your calculations :wink:

ok, I am finding the theoretical x value so i did

Mgh(point A)=1/2 Mv^2+1/5 Mv^2+Mgh(end of track)

.913J= .0475v^2+ .019vt^2+ .484J

v_exit=2.539 m/s

Then i found the Y component

2.539*sin(3pi/4) = 1.79 m/s

then into kinematic for a free falling object

0 = 1.43+1.795t-4.9t^2

t = .8

then again into the kinematics

x = -1.79*.8

x = 1.43m

I think I messed up somewhere, because the actual value when we did the lab was .37m...

looks ok :confused:

(but would have been a lot easier if you'd left M out of the equation completely :wink:)

perhaps you lost a lot of energy from air resistance in the tube …

how much was the diameter of the tube compared with the diameter of the ball?

Related to Get Physics Lab Help: Find Theoretical Distance X

1. What is the purpose of using a theoretical distance in physics lab experiments?

Theoretical distance is used in physics lab experiments to calculate the expected distance an object will travel in a given amount of time. It helps to predict the outcome of an experiment and compare it to the actual results.

2. How is theoretical distance calculated?

Theoretical distance is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the initial velocity, acceleration, and time. This formula is usually provided in the lab instructions or can be derived from basic physics principles.

3. Can theoretical distance be different from the actual distance measured in an experiment?

Yes, theoretical distance is an estimation based on ideal conditions and does not always match the actual distance measured in an experiment. Factors such as air resistance, friction, and human error can affect the actual distance traveled by an object.

4. How can I use theoretical distance to improve my lab results?

By comparing the theoretical distance with the actual distance measured in an experiment, you can identify and understand any discrepancies. This can help you to improve your experimental techniques and make more accurate predictions in future experiments.

5. Is theoretical distance only used in physics lab experiments?

No, theoretical distance is also used in other scientific fields, such as astronomy and engineering, to make predictions and calculations. It is a fundamental concept in physics and can be applied to various real-world situations.