Solving a Physics Problem: Find Velocity of Block at Bottom of Loop

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a small block sliding down an incline and looping around onto a final section. The block's mass, maximum height of the incline, and radius of the loop are given. The equations for gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy are mentioned. The speaker asks for help with finding the velocity of the block at the bottom of the loop. They also mention that the forum rules require showing an attempt at a solution.
Cglez1280

Homework Statement

This is for my ap physics summer work and is giving me some trouble and could use any help

A small block, with a mass of 250 g, starts from restart the top of the apparatus shown above. It then slides without friction down the incline, around the loop then onto the final section on the right. The maximum height of the incline is 80 cm, and the radius of the loop is 15 cm.

Find the velocity of the block at the bottom of the loop.
Mass=.25Kg Gravity=9.8 height=0.8m diameter of loop=.3m

Homework Equations

GPE=mgh KE=.5mv^2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cglez1280, Welcome to PF!

What "trouble" did you run into ? Can you explain?
Did you obtain a result for the velocity?

Note that the forum rules state that you need to show an attempt at solution.

Related to Solving a Physics Problem: Find Velocity of Block at Bottom of Loop

1. How do I find the velocity of a block at the bottom of a loop?

To find the velocity of a block at the bottom of a loop, you will need to use the conservation of energy principle. This means that the potential energy at the top of the loop is equal to the kinetic energy at the bottom of the loop. You will also need to take into account any friction or air resistance that may affect the final velocity.

2. What information do I need to solve this physics problem?

To solve this problem, you will need to know the mass of the block, the height of the loop, and any relevant coefficients of friction or air resistance. Additionally, you will need to know the acceleration due to gravity, which is typically denoted as "g" and has a value of 9.8 m/s^2.

3. Can I use any equation to solve this problem?

Yes, there are multiple equations that can be used to solve this problem. However, the most common approach is to use the conservation of energy principle, as mentioned in the first question. Other equations, such as Newton's second law or the equations of motion, may also be applicable depending on the specific details of the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving this type of problem?

One common mistake when solving this type of problem is forgetting to take into account the friction or air resistance forces. These can significantly affect the final velocity of the block and should not be ignored. Another mistake is using the wrong units or not properly converting between units, which can lead to incorrect solutions.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve this problem?

Yes, a calculator can be very helpful in solving this problem. However, it is important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units. It is also recommended to round to the appropriate number of significant figures to avoid any errors in the final answer.