Lab investigating angle of descent and velocity help

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school report investigating the relationship between the angle of descent and velocity of a ball rolling through a ramp. The data was collected using photo gates and the independent variable was the ramp angle while the dependent variable was velocity. The equations considered were the theoretical velocity of the ball calculated by mgh = 0.5 mv^2, the force of friction, and the relationship between velocity and angle. The results showed a linear relationship between velocity and angle, with a decreasing trend at higher angles. The role of static friction in slowing down the ball was also mentioned, as well as the need to consider rotational energy in the energy equation.
maturk

Homework Statement

I have to do a high school report investigating the relationship between the angle of descent and the velocity of a ball rolling across a horizontal surface after it has gone through a ramp. I have collected the data already with the use of photo gates that measured the velocity of a ball that rolled down a ramp. The ramp angle was of coarse the independent variable and the velocity was the dependent variable. I have trouble analysing the results of my experiment now.

Homework Equations

1. Is the theoretical velocity of the ball calculated by mgh = 0.5 mv^2, which by simplifying gives v=sqrt(2gh)? Where, h is the height of my ramp which is a constant variable that I know.
2. When comparing the experimental velocities and the theoretical velocities, is it possible to deduce the force of friction that slowed down the experimental velocities from the data I have gathered?
3. What are some other things I could attempt to analyse regarding the horizontal velocities of a ball rolling down a ramp?

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I used this method and I did get results that were quite close to the experimental results. I graphed the experimental velocities and the theoretical velocities against the angle of descent and received curves that look like they are linear in the beginning but then begin to level out at the top, like a downwards opening parabola.
2. If I find the change in velocity, v(theoretical) - v(final), and divide this by the time taken for ball to go through the ramp and photo gates, and then multiply this result by the mass of the ball, will this give me the net force of friction that slowed down my experimental results? I have no idea, I'm just going by the equation f=ma.

Physics news on Phys.org
This thread topic didn't seem to have any obvious connection to the Calculus HW forum, so it has been moved to the Introductory Physics HW forum.

In the future, please try to post threads in the HW forum where it will be most relevant. Thanks.

I assume the length of ramp is constant, so the greater the angle the greater the height.
Did you really plot velocity against angle, or was it velocity against height?
What relationship do you expect between velocity and angle?
With regard to your energy equation, don't forget rotational energy.

You mention friction as slowing the ball. A rolling ball is subject to static friction, not kinetic. Static friction does no net work. What it can do is convert between rotational KE and linear KE. The ball rolling on the level surface eventually stops because of rolling resistance, not friction.

Please derive and post an equation for the speed of the ball in terms of your variables (height, angle, mass, radius...).

Related to Lab investigating angle of descent and velocity help

1. What is the purpose of investigating angle of descent and velocity in a lab?

The purpose of investigating angle of descent and velocity in a lab is to understand the relationship between these two factors in an object's motion. This can help in predicting the trajectory of an object and determining factors such as distance, speed, and impact force.

2. What equipment is needed for this lab?

The equipment needed for this lab may include a protractor, a measuring tape, a stopwatch, a ramp, and various objects to roll down the ramp. Other equipment such as video analysis software may also be used to gather data.

3. What are some potential sources of error in this lab?

Some potential sources of error in this lab may include human error in measuring and recording data, inconsistencies in the ramp's surface or angle, and air resistance affecting the object's descent. It is important to control and minimize these sources of error for accurate results.

4. How can the data collected in this lab be analyzed?

The data collected in this lab can be analyzed through various methods such as calculating average values, creating graphs to visualize the relationship between angle of descent and velocity, and using mathematical equations to determine patterns and trends in the data.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding angle of descent and velocity?

Understanding angle of descent and velocity has many real-life applications, such as in the design and testing of vehicles and projectiles, predicting the path of a falling object, and determining the optimal angle for a ski jump or a skateboard ramp. This knowledge is also important in fields such as sports, engineering, and physics.