Geometry problem - calculating curve coordinates from versines

In summary, Banksie said that he doesn't know how to solve a problem where he needs to reconstruct the vertical geometry of a rail using versine information. He found an article on versine and sin/cos relationships, which explained how to calculate the height of a rail at one end of a chord using a relationship between initial starting values and the other end of the chord. He doesn't know the angle of the profile at each measurement, but he assumes that the profile starts at zero and the remainder of the profile is relative to that. He also found some links that may help him solve his problem.
banksie
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I don’t have a homework problem, but a problem I have encountered at work. I am a mechanical engineer working in the railway industry and I am struggling with a problem of reconstructing the vertical geometry of a rail in terms of height and distance along the rail.

The rail is measured using a chord measuring system, with versines taken at two points along the chord:- a point halfway along the chord and a point between the mid-point and the end. The measuring chord is moved along the rail at equally spaced intervals and the versine pairs measured at each point. The chord length is an integer multiple of the measuring interval.

Currently the process used to obtain the original rail position from the versine information uses the centre versine only. However this means that wavelengths equal to half the chord length cannot be reconstructed, hence the requirement to somehow incorporate the information encoded in the second versine measurement. The current method uses a simple geometric relationship to calculate the height of the rail at one end of the chord, given initial starting values of zero (i.e. the other end of the chord is at zero). I don't see how I can use this method and incorporate the second versine though, and i am struggling on how to approach this problem. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?!

I hope that I have defined the problem clearly enough, if not please do ask if there is any more information I can provide.

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
OK,

So the first picture hopefully describes what's going on. We have a profile P on which we lay our chord AB at two points, we then measure the offset from the chord to the profile at two points C and D. These offsets are termed the versines, which I've labelled u and v. This process is repeated along the profile - the chord is advanced along the profile by some distance and the versines are measured again. The second picture tries to illustrate this for the first three points. Note that this process would continue along the profile beyond the point where A is at B

So, we know the chord length AB, the sub chord lengths, AC, CD and DB, and the versines u and v. Given a number of these versine measurements collected along the length of the profile, how can we reconstruct the profile P from this information? In particular we need to utilize both u and v, as I mentioned in my first post...

Many thanks

Banksie

Attachments

• screenshot.585.jpeg
    screenshot.585.jpeg
    5.5 KB · Views: 555
  • screenshot.586.jpeg
    screenshot.586.jpeg
    5.3 KB · Views: 463
I don't have an answer as it seems that there's not enough info yet.

You mentioned that the profile is advanced some distance each time. Do you know this distance?

Also shouldn't the versines be perpendicular to the chord?

Lastly, do you know the angle of the profile at each measurement?

Last edited:
yes you're right the versines are measured perpendicular to the chord. I sketched that up in Word and just couldn't get the lines in the right place!

The chord is advanced along the profile at regular intervals. Let's say that the interval is 1m and the chord length is 20m, the distance AC is 7m and distance AD is 10m. The angle is unknown.

You would assume that the profile starts at zero and the remainder of the profile would be relative to that.

Also, as we are talking about railway track geometry, the versine measurements are small compared to the radius of the curve so I think we can neglect the angle of the versine measurements relative to the chord.

Related to Geometry problem - calculating curve coordinates from versines

1. How do I calculate the coordinates of a curve from versines?

The coordinates of a curve can be calculated from the versines by using the formula x = a(1 - cosθ) and y = a(sinθ - θ) where a is the radius of the curve and θ is the angle. Plug in the given values for a and θ to find the x and y coordinates.

2. What is a versine?

A versine is a mathematical term used in geometry to refer to the vertical distance between the center of a circle and a point on its circumference, measured along a chord of the circle.

3. Can I use the same formula for any curve?

The formula x = a(1 - cosθ) and y = a(sinθ - θ) can only be used for circular curves. For other types of curves, different formulas may need to be used.

4. What if I only have the coordinates of two points on the curve?

If you have the coordinates of two points on the curve, you can use the distance formula to find the radius of the curve. Then, you can plug this value into the formula x = a(1 - cosθ) and y = a(sinθ - θ) to find the coordinates of any point on the curve.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating curve coordinates?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating curve coordinates, such as using the parametric equations for the curve or using calculus to find the equations of the curve. However, the formula x = a(1 - cosθ) and y = a(sinθ - θ) is commonly used for circular curves because it is simple and efficient.