Generating Functional in Momentum Space -- QFT

In summary, when completing the square in the given problem, you should end up with two terms that are actually the same and can be combined into one term. This is a common technique in completing the square.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Hi,

Question attached:

questionbabayy.png

inserting ##\phi (x)= \int \frac{d^4k}{(2\pi)^2}\phi(x)e^{-i k_u x^u}##
and similar for ##J(x) ## / ##J(k)## into the action and then integrating over ##k## gives:

Solution attached:

solutionbabay.png

I AM STUCK on this part, completing the square ; so I see we get back the term ##\frac{-h}{i}J(k)\phi(-k)## however don't we also get an additional identiical term ##J(-k)\phi (k)##?What has happened to this?!

Many thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

see above

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for posting your question. It seems like you are on the right track with your solution. When completing the square, you should end up with two terms that look like ##\frac{-h}{i}J(k)\phi(-k)## and ##\frac{h}{i}J(-k)\phi(k)##. These two terms are actually the same, just with the variables switched. So, you can combine them into one term and simplify the expression. This is a common technique in completing the square, where the two terms that arise are actually the same and can be combined. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Generating Functional in Momentum Space -- QFT

1. What is the Generating Functional in Momentum Space in Quantum Field Theory (QFT)?

The Generating Functional in Momentum Space is a mathematical tool used in Quantum Field Theory (QFT) to calculate correlation functions of quantum fields. It is a functional of the source fields and is used to generate the Green's functions of the theory.

2. How is the Generating Functional in Momentum Space related to the Generating Functional in Configuration Space?

The Generating Functional in Momentum Space and the Generating Functional in Configuration Space are related by a Fourier transform. The former is the Fourier transform of the latter, and vice versa.

3. What are the advantages of using the Generating Functional in Momentum Space in QFT calculations?

The Generating Functional in Momentum Space has several advantages in QFT calculations. It allows for a more efficient and elegant treatment of momentum conservation in calculations, and it simplifies calculations involving Wick's theorem. Additionally, it can be used to derive Feynman rules, which are important for practical calculations in QFT.

4. How is the Generating Functional in Momentum Space used in practical calculations in QFT?

The Generating Functional in Momentum Space is used in practical calculations in QFT by taking functional derivatives with respect to the source fields, which allows for the calculation of correlation functions. It is also used to derive Feynman rules, which are then used to calculate scattering amplitudes and cross-sections.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Generating Functional in Momentum Space in QFT calculations?

While the Generating Functional in Momentum Space is a powerful tool in QFT calculations, it does have some limitations. It is not well-suited for calculations involving non-local interactions, and it is difficult to use in theories with massless particles. Additionally, it may not provide a complete description of the theory in certain cases, such as when there are anomalies present.