Generalised Quaternion Algebra over K - Dauns Section 1-5 no 19

In summary: I just looked up Jon Dauns on the Internet and discovered that, very sadly, John Dauns passed away in 2009.It is a sad loss to algebra ...
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
In Dauns book "Modules and Rings", Exercise 19 in Section 1-5 reads as follows: (see attachment)

Let K be any ring with [FONT=MathJax_Main]1[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]∈[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]K[/FONT] whose center is a field and \(\displaystyle 0 \ne x, 0 \ne y \in \) center K are any elements.

Let I, J, and IJ be symbols not in K.

Form the set K[I, J] = K + KI + KJ + KIJ of all K linear combinations of {1, I, J, IJ}.

The following multiplication rules apply: (These also apply in my post re Ex 18!)

\(\displaystyle I^2 = x, J^2 = y, IJ = -JI, cI = Ic, cIJ = JIc \) for all \(\displaystyle c \in K \)

Prove that the ring K[I, J] is isomorphic to a ring of \(\displaystyle 2 \times 2 \) matrices as follows:

\(\displaystyle a + bJ \rightarrow \begin{pmatrix} a & by \\ \overline{b} & \overline{a} \end{pmatrix} \) for all \(\displaystyle a,b \in K \)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure how to go about this ... indeed I am confused by the statement of the problem. My issue is the following:

Elements of K[I, J] are of the form r = a + bI + cJ + dIJ so we would expect an isomorphism of K[I, J] to specify how elements of this form are mapped into another ring, but we are only told how elements of the form s = a + bJ are mapped. ?

Can someone please clarify this issue and help me to get started on this exercise?

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
K[I,J] is naturally isomorphic to K[J]:

a + bI + cJ + dIJ <--> (a+bI) + (c+dI)J

Deveno said:
K[I,J] is naturally isomorphic to K[J]:

a + bI + cJ + dIJ <--> (a+bI) + (c+dI)J

Thank you Deveno ... but still thinking

Mind you I (stupidly) missed the point that \(\displaystyle a, b \in K \) which your post has made me highly aware of - will go back to this now.

Peter

Peter said:
Thank you Deveno ... but still thinking

Mind you I (stupidly) missed the point that \(\displaystyle a, b \in K \) which your post has made me highly aware of - will go back to this now.

Peter

Based on Deveno's help I have now worked through a good deal of the problem ... and I am satisfied I now understand it ...

For members of MHB interested in this exercise, I have attached a check of the fact \(\displaystyle \phi (x, y) = \phi (x) \phi (y) \) 'works' for \(\displaystyle {element}_{11} \) of the isomorphism \(\displaystyle \phi \) ...

I must say that John Dauns' is not afraid to set his students at Tulane University a fair amount of symbol manipulation ... :)

Peter

Peter said:
Based on Deveno's help I have now worked through a good deal of the problem ... and I am satisfied I now understand it ...

For members of MHB interested in this exercise, I have attached a check of the fact \(\displaystyle \phi (x, y) = \phi (x) \phi (y) \) 'works' for \(\displaystyle {element}_{11} \) of the isomorphism \(\displaystyle \phi \) ...

I must say that John Dauns' is not afraid to set his students at Tulane University a fair amount of symbol manipulation ... :)

Peter

I just looked up Jon Dauns on the Internet and discovered that, very sadly, John Dauns passed away in 2009.

It is a sad loss to algebra ...

Peter

Related to Generalised Quaternion Algebra over K - Dauns Section 1-5 no 19

1. What is a generalised quaternion algebra?

A generalised quaternion algebra is a non-commutative algebraic structure that extends the properties of the traditional quaternion algebra to include elements from a general field, denoted by K. This allows for a more general and flexible representation of rotations and transformations in mathematics and physics.

2. What is the significance of Dauns Section 1-5 no 19 in the context of generalised quaternion algebras?

Dauns Section 1-5 no 19 refers to a specific theorem in the theory of generalised quaternion algebras. This theorem states that every finite-dimensional generalised quaternion algebra over a field K is isomorphic to a direct sum of algebras of the form K + KJ, where J is a non-square element in K. This result is important in understanding the structure and properties of generalised quaternion algebras.

3. How are generalised quaternion algebras used in physics?

Generalised quaternion algebras are commonly used in physics to represent rotations and transformations in three-dimensional space. They are also utilized in quantum mechanics to describe spin states of particles and in the study of crystallography to classify the symmetries of crystals.

4. What are some applications of generalised quaternion algebras in mathematics?

Generalised quaternion algebras have various applications in mathematics, including in the study of group theory, representation theory, and algebraic geometry. They also have connections to other mathematical structures, such as Lie algebras and division algebras, which have further applications in mathematics and physics.

5. What are the similarities and differences between generalised quaternion algebras and traditional quaternion algebras?

The main similarity between generalised quaternion algebras and traditional quaternion algebras is that they both extend the concept of complex numbers to higher dimensions. However, generalised quaternion algebras allow for elements from a general field, while traditional quaternion algebras are restricted to real or complex numbers. Additionally, generalised quaternion algebras are non-commutative, while traditional quaternion algebras are commutative.