Standard Free Right R-Module on X - B&K Section 2.1.16

In summary, the authors construct the standard free module on a set by constructing the direct sum of copies of the module. This ordering into play makes it so that the components of a sum must match in order for the sum to be defined.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading An Introduction to Rings and Modules With K-Theory in View by A.J. Berrick and M.E. Keating (B&K).

In Chapter2: Direct Sums and Short Exact Sequences in Section 2.1.16 B&K deal with the standard free right ##R##-module on a set ##X##. I need some help with understanding an aspect of the authors' discussion ... ...

Section 2.1.16 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=12e20c959a0b3d5f9994e048d34f062d.png
In the above text by B&K they construct the standard free module on ##X## as the module##\text{Fr}_R (x) = \bigoplus_X xR##so that the elements of ##\text{Fr}_R (x)## are formal sums ##m = \sum_{x \in X}x r_x (m)##

with ##r_x (m) \in R## ... ...OK ... so far so good ... BUT ...

... can someone please explain to me how this enables B&K to say ..." ... ... It is clear that if ##\Lambda## is any convenient ordering of ##X##, we have

##\text{Fr}_R (x) = R^{ \Lambda }## ... ... "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To make my question more explicit ... suppose that ##X## is a finite ordered set ##X = \{ x_1, x_2, x_3 \}##

Then ##\text{Fr}_R (x) = \bigoplus_X xR = x_1 R + x_2 R + x_3 R##

... ... and elements of ##\text{Fr}_R (x)## would be of the form ##m = x_1 r_1 + x_2 r_2 + x_3 r_3##BUT ... to repeat my question ... with elements of this form how can we argue that
if ##\Lambda## is any convenient ordering of ##X##, we have ##\text{Fr}_R (x) = R^{ \Lambda }## ... ?
Note: I suspect that B&K may be expecting the reader to identify ##\sum x r_x(m)## with ##\sum r_x(m)## ...

... BUT ... if this is the case ... why introduce ##X## into a construction only to "identify" it away ... why not just define the standard free right ##R##-module as ##\text{Fr}_R (x) = R^{ \Lambda }## ?

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• B&K - Section 2.1.16 - Standard Free Right R-Module on X.png
    B&K - Section 2.1.16 - Standard Free Right R-Module on X.png
    67 KB · Views: 595
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure, if I can follow the authors correctly. To me it seems a bit more complicated than necessary, or at least overly precise. As I understand them, say construct their free ##R##-module over ##X## as ##R^X=R^{|X|}##, i.e. the direct sum of ##|X|## copies of ##R##.

Now here comes the ordering into play. To define a sum in it, one has to make sure, that the components match. I mean, e.g. ##(f_1,f_2)+(f'_1,f'_2)## has to be ##(f_1+f'_1,f_2+f'_2)## and not ##(f_1+f'_2,f_2+f'_1)## in ##Fr_R(X)##. Looks pretty obvious here, but not anymore in arbitrary many copies of ##R## with an unordered bunch of explicit numbers of ##R##.

I would have written ##Fr_R(X)=\bigoplus_{x\in X}R## or ##Fr_R(X)=\bigoplus_{x\in X}R_x## or ##Fr_R(X)=\bigoplus_{x\in X}(x,R)## instead. The notation as multiplication ##xr## is somehow artificial and I would have preferred pairs. However, it might as well be, that I'm overlooking a logic trap here. Until now I lived well upon indexing ##R## to ##R_x## or ##(x,R)## instead of the ##xR## notation. Important is only that the components can be matched.

Math Amateur said:
Note: I suspect that B&K may be expecting the reader to identify ##\sum x r_x(m)## with ##\sum r_x(m)## ...
I agree. Maybe someone else can enlighten both of us.

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
I'm not quite sure, if I can follow the authors correctly. To me it seems a bit more complicated than necessary, or at least overly precise. As I understand them, say construct their free ##R##-module over ##X## as ##R^X=R^{|X|}##, i.e. the direct sum of ##|X|## copies of ##R##.

Now here comes the ordering into play. To define a sum in it, one has to make sure, that the components match. I mean, e.g. ##(f_1,f_2)+(f'_1,f'_2)## has to be ##(f_1+f'_1,f_2+f'_2)## and not ##(f_1+f'_2,f_2+f'_1)## in ##Fr_R(X)##. Looks pretty obvious here, but not anymore in arbitrary many copies of ##R## with an unordered bunch of explicit numbers of ##R##.

I would have written ##Fr_R(X)=\bigoplus_{x\in X}R## or ##Fr_R(X)=\bigoplus_{x\in X}R_x## or ##Fr_R(X)=\bigoplus_{x\in X}(x,R)## instead. The notation as multiplication ##xr## is somehow artificial and I would have preferred pairs. However, it might as well be, that I'm overlooking a logic trap here. Until now I lived well upon indexing ##R## to ##R_x## or ##(x,R)## instead of the ##xR## notation. Important is only that the components can be matched.I agree. Maybe someone else can enlighten both of us.
Thanks for the thoughts and the help, fresh_42 ...

Yes, hopefully someone can enlighten us further ...

Peter

Related to Standard Free Right R-Module on X - B&K Section 2.1.16

1. What is a standard free right R-module?

A standard free right R-module is a module over a ring R which has a basis and is free as a right R-module. This means that any element in the module can be written as a unique linear combination of the basis elements, and the module has no non-trivial relations between the basis elements.

2. What is the significance of the term "standard" in a standard free right R-module?

The term "standard" in a standard free right R-module refers to the fact that the module is free, meaning that there are no restrictions on the number of basis elements or how they can be combined. This allows for a more general and flexible structure compared to other types of modules.

3. What is the relation between a standard free right R-module and a basis?

A standard free right R-module is defined by its basis, which is a set of elements that span the module and can be used to express every element in the module. The basis is chosen to be linearly independent, meaning that no element in the basis can be written as a linear combination of the other basis elements.

4. How does a standard free right R-module relate to the concept of a free module?

A standard free right R-module is a type of free module, which is a module that has a basis and is free from any non-trivial relations between the basis elements. However, a standard free right R-module is more specific as it is only free as a right module and has a basis that is linearly independent.

5. What is the purpose of studying standard free right R-modules?

Studying standard free right R-modules is important in abstract algebra as it allows for a general and flexible structure that can be applied to various mathematical concepts and problems. It also helps in understanding the properties and relations of other types of modules and rings.